Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

GM cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 07:46 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tab545' post='205064' date='Nov 29 2005, 09:09 PM
I thought about the GTO, but I really needed 4 doors to plan on keeping the car as a baby arrived. The CTS just seemed too small, more comparable to a 3-series. I'm also frankly not sure I was ready for a Cadillac. I know it sounds stupid, and I'm a big GM fan in principle; but I think I would have had to keep explaining why I was driving an old man car. In 5 years maybe enough people will know about the sport Cadillacs.
Shaking the Cadillac Stigma is going to be very hard for them. But I think they are doing a better job than Buick is. Tiger Woods was a good change of pace for Buick, but I haven't seen Tiger in a commercial in a long while. Buick hasn't had anything youth oriented since the Grand National, and that was when? 1987 for the last year.

I like the Cadillac's edgy styling, it is modern and crisp, but I think it will date very rapidly. BMW's Bangle Styling is still edgy, but more of a timeless design, in MY OPINION. Your Opinion will probably be different.

As I have mentioned in the past, a part of me is sad to see GM in trouble, but part of me says you reap what you sew...

Regards, Mike.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by mehall2' post='205105
I thought about the GTO, but I really needed 4 doors to plan on keeping the car as a baby arrived. The CTS just seemed too small, more comparable to a 3-series. I'm also frankly not sure I was ready for a Cadillac. I know it sounds stupid, and I'm a big GM fan in principle; but I think I would have had to keep explaining why I was driving an old man car. In 5 years maybe enough people will know about the sport Cadillacs.
Shaking the Cadillac Stigma is going to be very hard for them. But I think they are doing a better job than Buick is. Tiger Woods was a good change of pace for Buick, but I haven't seen Tiger in a commercial in a long while. Buick hasn't had anything youth oriented since the Grand National, and that was when? 1987 for the last year.

I like the Cadillac's edgy styling, it is modern and crisp, but I think it will date very rapidly. BMW's Bangle Styling is still edgy, but more of a timeless design, in MY OPINION. Your Opinion will probably be different.

As I have mentioned in the past, a part of me is sad to see GM in trouble, but part of me says you reap what you sew...

Regards, Mike.
[/quote]

My opinion isn't different: I think you're right that the E60 styling will age well. So far, you can see cues in other makers' cars imitating Bangle, so he's doing something right.

As for Caddies, I think it's been a pretty successful integration of the new look, even into the Escalade, but especially the STS. I actually think they need to flash more sport cues on the V models to announce more forcefully that this is NOT your grandfather's Cadillac. The mesh grill is good, but they need to keep working to make them look more outrageous.

I still think they should have axed Buick and kept Oldsmobile. Oh, well. I can't get excited about the Buick Lucerne. The car magazines say it's close to the Japanese cars, so I guess that's good; but you aren't going to find me nosing around any Buick dealers. (Re Grand National, the Buick guys used to put bumper stickers on their Grand Nationals that said "I brake for Corvettes." I don't see those days returning.)