Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

GM cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by tomwid' post='204249
no idea - but it had a 400hp V8
[/quote]

So So whens the CTS-V getting the NEW vett engine?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='203596' date='Nov 26 2005, 07:37 AM
I am a die hard GM guy and the 530xi is the first import I bought (or in this case ordered and waiting for). But there was not really a GM car I considered because:
1. Wanted AWD
2. Wanted manual transmission.

Am I such a small market share that it is not even worth designing with these options?
The only GM car that even comes close to your criteria (AWD and manual tranny) would be the Hummer H3.

Sadly, I can't think of the last time an American auto manufacturer actually made a passenger car with AWD (or 4WD) pared with a manual transmission.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

I guess that is my question. Is AWD/manual trans that rare of a combo that people want? Even an AWD mid-priced sedan? Does Audi/MB/BMW/Subarua sell that few that it is not even worth making? And why do many Japanese cars now offer it (See Lexus and Acura)? Is the reason for GM's downfall the fact that they can not see things like this? Even Ford and Chrysler have AWD in a midsize/mid priced sedan (See Ford 500 and Chrysler 300). The only GM car I saw with AWD was the new STS - and the sticker was 66K - and I would not pay 66K for a car that would be worth 35K in 12 months.
Anyway - lots of rambling and questions. I guess I feel bad for GM because for some reason they can never see the big picture. I feel like they think that they can build whatever they want and someone like me (a die hard GM guy would buy it).
Old 11-29-2005, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

I don't understand the die hardness you're describing. If you're that "die hard", why would you bash the resale on the Caddy? I mean, lots of people still buy them, even knowing the depreciation levels. I guess those guys are the "super die hards" eh?

Pick up a used STS in 12 months!

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='204574' date='Nov 29 2005, 12:04 AM
I guess that is my question. Is AWD/manual trans that rare of a combo that people want? Even an AWD mid-priced sedan? Does Audi/MB/BMW/Subarua sell that few that it is not even worth making? And why do many Japanese cars now offer it (See Lexus and Acura)? Is the reason for GM's downfall the fact that they can not see things like this? Even Ford and Chrysler have AWD in a midsize/mid priced sedan (See Ford 500 and Chrysler 300). The only GM car I saw with AWD was the new STS - and the sticker was 66K - and I would not pay 66K for a car that would be worth 35K in 12 months.
Anyway - lots of rambling and questions. I guess I feel bad for GM because for some reason they can never see the big picture. I feel like they think that they can build whatever they want and someone like me (a die hard GM guy would buy it).
Old 11-29-2005, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

I'm not that die hard anymore - now i am a bimmer guy. But parents drove gm andthe first 6 carsi bought were gm. guess i wanted to keep up tradition. and also-thought about cts - manual but no awd - and sts awd but no manual. I wanted to buy a what i "wanted" - and gm really had nothing to offer (except for the above mentioned h3 - but did not want an suv
Old 11-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='204801' date='Nov 29 2005, 12:31 PM
I'm not that die hard anymore - now i am a bimmer guy. But parents drove gm andthe first 6 carsi bought were gm. guess i wanted to keep up tradition. and also-thought about cts - manual but no awd - and sts awd but no manual. I wanted to buy a what i "wanted" - and gm really had nothing to offer (except for the above mentioned h3 - but did not want an suv
I had the same feelings that you do. I was recently at a Car and Driver Test Drive. We drove an M3 6sp Manual back to back with a new CTS-V. Both cars rocked. The gripe I had about the CTS-V, was shifter feel was vague and the clutch was an all or nothing engagement. The M3 felt better. Both cars handled extremely well. The other gripe I had was the Chevy Cavalier Plastic Dash and Plastic Door Tops on the CTS-V. Very Cheap in my opinion.

The other test drive we had was back to back between the STS V6 and the 530i. Of course, the 530 was an 05 with no sport, so it didn't even have the newer 3.0 ltr motor. Both cars handled well, but the Caddy still had the boat tendency's. Cadillac has come a long way, but still not in the class of the BMW. Again, the soft materials, leather, cushions, etc were very close to BMW, but the hard plastics were very Cavalier or Chevette. GM just doesn't get it. The bean counters are still running that company.

I looked real hard at a GTO, before buying my 550i. The biggest turn off on the GTO, besides, bland styling is the lack of heated seats. Sound very trivial, but they don't have Heated Seat or NAV.

It is a sad day for GM, as they put all their eggs in the SUV/Truck Basket, which has gone empty lately.

My wifes 545i replaced a long line of GM cars and trucks. Here is the list for her. 1987 Olds Cutlass, 1993 Ford Taurus, SHO. 1995 Chevy Blazer LT, 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 2004 545i. Tried the new GTP, but styling, Front Wheel Drive, and too small interior/weird roofline, turned us off.

My Progression: 1967 Olds Delmont 88 (First Car), 1975 Plymouth Duster Slant Six, 1984 Mazda SE5 Pickup, 1990 Olds Calais, 1992 Chevy Blazer, 1995 Pontiac Trans Am, 1998 Acura CL, 2000 Chevy Silverado. 2006 550i.

I still have about $2500 on my GM Mastercard toward the purchase of a new GM Car/Truck.

I do have to say my daily driver is a company provided 2005 GMC Savana 3500 Passenger Van, so I still have a GM in the garage. It is my Second GMC Savana and it runs great for what it is.

GM makes great motors with performance, but everything else is lacking.

Sorry for such a long post. Once you go BMW, you won't go back!!! It is a great automobile.

Regards, Mike.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mehall2' post='204807' date='Nov 29 2005, 11:53 AM
GM makes great motors with performance, but everything else is lacking.

Sorry for such a long post. Once you go BMW, you won't go back!!! It is a great automobile.

Regards, Mike.
I can't agree more about the STS. I believe it looks great though and will make a great buy for someone looking at the used car market.

This being the first BMW I have purchased I strongly feel it won't be my last. I am already looking at a 330i for my wife.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Ok, I understand now. The only GM car I would ever consider is the Corvette C6. I had a C5 and loved it. The only problem I had with it was carbon build up, according to the mechanic, it was due to me "babying" the car too much and said I needed to floor it more often. LOL.

GM's interiors are what's killing them. Buttons look like they've been designed for king kong to operate.

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='204801' date='Nov 29 2005, 01:31 PM
Old 11-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Contributors

And about NAV - what's up with GM - every other manufacturer had it in almost every car above entry level and GM did not. I guess they thought they could just on star everything and that would be as good. GM's first thing they should do is put nav standard on their cars.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

I thought about the GTO, but I really needed 4 doors to plan on keeping the car as a baby arrived. The CTS just seemed too small, more comparable to a 3-series. I'm also frankly not sure I was ready for a Cadillac. I know it sounds stupid, and I'm a big GM fan in principle; but I think I would have had to keep explaining why I was driving an old man car. In 5 years maybe enough people will know about the sport Cadillacs.

Quick Reply: GM cars