Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Global Warming scientist keeps digging his hole deeper!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010 | 07:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
as far as sea levels rising go, basic study in oceanography demonstrates that even if we turned all the ice into fresh sea water, levels would not rise as the vast majority of ice is already under water and is the same volume regardless of form

if you dont believe me try this little experiment, put ice in a glass of water and mark where the water level is with a sharpie, then wait til the water melts and check the water level again. It doesnt change. Its the same volume just in a different state.
It is only the North Pole ice cap which is a floating ice shelf. The ice cap in Antarctica is substantially over land as is, say, the ice in places like Greenland. Were these and other land-based ice packs to melt or fragment, for whatever reason, the sea level would inevitably rise.
Old 02-15-2010 | 07:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
It is only the North Pole ice cap which is a floating ice shelf. The ice cap in Antarctica is substantially over land as is, say, the ice in places like Greenland. Were these and other land to melt, for whatever reason, the sea level would inevitably rise.
no that isnt true, nearly 44% of the antarctic ice is attached to land but is still apart of a floating ice shelf system and separates from gravity flow.

That flow continually moves ice from the grounding line to the seaward front of the shelf. The primary mechanism of mass loss from ice shelves is iceberg calving, in which a chunk of ice breaks off from the seaward front of the shelf. Typically, a shelf front will extend forward for years or decades between major calving events. Snow accumulation on the upper surface and melting from the lower surface are also important to the mass balance of an ice shelf. Ice may also accrete onto the underside of the shelf.

The density contrast between glacial ice, which is denser than normal ice, and liquid water means that only about 1/9 of the floating ice is above the ocean surface
Old 02-15-2010 | 07:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
no that isnt true, nearly 44% of the antarctic ice is attached to land but is still apart of a floating ice shelf system and separates from gravity flow.

That flow continually moves ice from the grounding line to the seaward front of the shelf. The primary mechanism of mass loss from ice shelves is iceberg calving, in which a chunk of ice breaks off from the seaward front of the shelf. Typically, a shelf front will extend forward for years or decades between major calving events. Snow accumulation on the upper surface and melting from the lower surface are also important to the mass balance of an ice shelf. Ice may also accrete onto the underside of the shelf.

The density contrast between glacial ice, which is denser than normal ice, and liquid water means that only about 1/9 of the floating ice is above the ocean surface
I submit that my post is arguably more accurate than the suggestion you made in the post I quoted, PTL...! You yourself said "...even if we turned all the ice into fresh sea water, levels would not rise as the vast majority of ice is already under water and is the same volume regardless of form". The emphasis is mine, but the words are yours. You're absolutely right, but only for those ice shelves that are already floating. 90% of the world's ice is in Antarctica, and much of it isn't floating in ocean. On this basis, if all the ice did melt, much of it wouldn't have factored into current sea levels which would consequently have to rise - and would do so considerably!
Old 02-15-2010 | 07:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
I submit that my post is arguably more accurate than the suggestion you made in the post I quoted, PTL...! You yourself said "...even if we turned all the ice into fresh sea water, levels would not rise as the vast majority of ice is already under water and is the same volume regardless of form". The emphasis is mine, but the words are yours. You're absolutely right, but only for those ice shelves that are already floating. 90% of the world's ice is in Antarctica, and much of it isn't floating in ocean. On this basis, if all the ice did melt, much of it wouldn't have factored into current sea levels which would consequently have to rise - and would do so considerably!
44% of those "land attached ice shelves" are not actually land based in the way you are trying to argue it. The vast majority of Antarctic ice is still apart of the floating shelf system and the majority of that ice is already under water
Old 02-15-2010 | 08:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

I wish it was colder up here, this 34 degree crap sux :thumbsdown:
Old 02-15-2010 | 08:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Who would've ever thought global warming was a scam?
Old 02-16-2010 | 03:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DRANGED
Who would've ever thought global warming was a scam?
...only the narrow minded people perhaps?

If we argue that the hottest temperatures in human history were recorded in the bronze age, i would also like to see the source of that claim and the statistical and historical evidence that support such a claim.

Then i might add that there is a reason why we tend to compare our present temperatures with the ones from 1800s, and that's the industrial boom of man kind (you know when men invented the chu chu trains, the combustion engines as they become more and more wide spread, heavy mining, more and more thermo-powerplants etc..), to try and figure out how much the green house gasses affect our present days.

I hope there is no doubt in anyone's mind that green house gases are responsible for creating well... the green house effect. If we also agree that the amount of GH gases has risen on an exponential scale as man got more and more dependent of fossil fuels (no brainer here) then we should by all means have to look at how much the temperature has risen because of ... GUESS WHO?! man kind!!! It's not apes that drive our cars (with some exceptions ), it's not the birds that drive our power plants and so on... it's US (no not United States....for some other idiotic people that might interpret the last statement).

Combine this with a DAILY deforestation rate of a full american football field of the Amazon forest, that for the same ignorant people produce a substantial part of the oxygen that we breathe, then it's no brainer that we SHOULD be interested !

For the last statement i will try and find tonight the source of the info, as for the other part of my comment i relied on proof that has been already submitted to this topic and common sense.
Old 02-16-2010 | 05:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

In any case, I'd like to thank the Northeast U.S for absorbing all the snow for us,

its been a wonderfully dry winter so far
Old 02-16-2010 | 08:17 AM
Contributors

Its recorded in the Holocene era as partly responsible due to the formation of the Saharra desert which projected vast amounts of heat back into the atmosphere instead of absorbing it.

Here is a comparative graph
Global Warming scientist keeps digging his hole deeper!!-holocene_temperature_variations.png

The variation clearly shows the impact this had on the earth and contrasts it with that of 2004.

Such deviations and variations that we have seen in temperatures rising and failing all well within tolerances and the same goes for the land based ice that is melting and the floating ice that is collecting.

Global warming isnt a myth, its true. What's a myth is the impact that humans have on the earth and that we as humans are responsible for it. This is not only incorrect, its a flat out lie.
Old 02-16-2010 | 08:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay
...only the narrow minded people perhaps?
thats right, drink your coolaid

dont you find it ironic and simply laughable that Al Gore being the main front runner for this whole global warming conclusion and yet his very own house produces and consumes more raw materials than most small towns. He clearly has put a lot of stock into his own ideology. He was even caught last year misquoting people in order to justify his position.

He truly is apart of the literary discourse and has no roots in science.

Quick Reply: Global Warming scientist keeps digging his hole deeper!!