Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Formula One 2008 (Rd.16, JAPANESE GRAND PRIX)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008 | 01:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by formuleuno' post='628016' date='Jul 19 2008, 10:53 PM
Be careful what you wish for with Alonso. Awesome driver, but as we've seen doesnt like a competitive teammate! I root for anybody but Lewis...the most overhyped, overexposed driver in F1 history. Put him in a Honda and see what he does.
Yes but let's not forget that at Mclaren there was also alot of bad management. Maybe Ron Denis should learn some conflict management...

Agree 100% what you said about Hamilton.
Old 07-19-2008 | 05:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by formuleuno' post='628016' date='Jul 19 2008, 12:53 PM
I root for anybody but Lewis...the most overhyped, overexposed driver in F1 history. Put him in a Honda and see what he does.
The drive last week - in the wet, where Lewis utterly destroyed everyone, and by an incredible margin - highlights the lack of substance to your comments and once again shows that Lewis is the real deal. He is an incredible talent, and he'll get better. He'd have probably still won last week if he were in the Honda. Lewis would only be over hyped if he couldn't back it up - and it seems that he can. Fact is he performed strongly in Formula Renault, GP2 and F3. Racing series where talent shines through due largely interchangeable hardware.
Old 07-19-2008 | 05:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='628066' date='Jul 19 2008, 02:32 PM
Agree 100% what you said about Hamilton.
See my reply to formuleuno...
Old 07-19-2008 | 05:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i- Steptronic Trans, Sirius Satellite Radio, Bluetooth, BMW Assist, Black Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package

Originally Posted by swajames' post='628201' date='Jul 19 2008, 09:20 PM
The drive last week - in the wet, where Lewis utterly destroyed everyone, and by an incredible margin - highlights the lack of substance to your comments and once again shows that Lewis is the real deal. He is an incredible talent, and he'll get better. He'd have probably won last week if we were in the Honda. Lewis would only be over hyped if he couldn't back it up - and it seems that he can.
Ok, he destroyed everyone. Probably took the right gamble on having the car setup to run in the wet (which shows why he qualified 4th), where everyone else was set up to run in the dry. I think its a bit of strategy too and not all talent. For the most part, wet races are a lottery and Lewis ended up winning big time.

There have been some moments in other races that have showed his age. Maybe its just him being young, but if he's the next 'great one', you dont make those type of mistakes. Why not give him a few more years before anointing him the 'great one'? Till he wins a world championship (which could be this year), or two, he doesn't deserve that praise. Just my opinion.

I'm sorry to say however, he would NOT have won in that Honda...Lets be honest, they have a lot of catching up to do and pretty much have written off the rest of the year.
Old 07-19-2008 | 06:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by formuleuno' post='628227' date='Jul 19 2008, 06:56 PM
Ok, he destroyed everyone. Probably took the right gamble on having the car setup to run in the wet (which shows why he qualified 4th), where everyone else was set up to run in the dry. I think its a bit of strategy too and not all talent. For the most part, wet races are a lottery and Lewis ended up winning big time.

There have been some moments in other races that have showed his age. Maybe its just him being young, but if he's the next 'great one', you dont make those type of mistakes. Why not give him a few more years before anointing him the 'great one'? Till he wins a world championship (which could be this year), or two, he doesn't deserve that praise. Just my opinion.

I'm sorry to say however, he would NOT have won in that Honda...Lets be honest, they have a lot of catching up to do and pretty much have written off the rest of the year.
But that's not the first time he's done it - he's taken significant wins before in the wet. This is a specific talent he shares with Senna and Schumacher, both of whom were also prone to making the odd inexplicable mistake but whose overall talent made most of these mistakes somewhat irrelevant. Great drivers such as Senna and Schumacher did indeed make mistakes, because they took greater risks looking for greater rewards. It will be much the same with Hamilton.

As for last week, the wet is the ultimate leveler in F1 and I remain of the view that Lewis could have pulled off that win in an inferior car, albeit with a reduced margin.
Old 07-19-2008 | 06:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i- Steptronic Trans, Sirius Satellite Radio, Bluetooth, BMW Assist, Black Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package

Swajames, I respect your opinion. I'll be watching tomorrow with great anticipation. Enjoy the race everyone!
Old 07-19-2008 | 06:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by formuleuno' post='628257' date='Jul 19 2008, 07:40 PM
Swajames, I respect your opinion. I'll be watching tomorrow with great anticipation. Enjoy the race everyone!
Yours too. As a Brit, I know I do tend to get a little defensive of Lewis to be fair... Either way, should be a great race as you say.

I think this time the pre-race will be back on Speed just before the race is on Fox. I've missed having the pre-race shows whilst the last few races were shown on broadcast channels and not Speed.
Old 07-19-2008 | 06:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='628263' date='Jul 19 2008, 10:48 PM
Yours too. As a Brit, I know I do tend to get a little defensive of Lewis to be fair... Either way, should be a great race as you say.

I think this time the pre-race will be back on Speed just before the race is on. I've missed having the pre-race shows whilst the last few races were shown on broadcast channels and not Speed.
Oh man, I wish I knew that!! You're correct on the pre-race show. I think enough ppl complained about it, that they set it up like this. Before, when the races were on another network, they would have a replay on Speed with the pre-race show and Bob, Dave and Steve would do the call.

Nigel Mansell was a great Brit to watch as well as Damon Hill. Damon's tussles with Schumacher were pretty good...But nothing like Senna v. Prost (wasn't watching when those two tussled).
Old 07-20-2008 | 01:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='628012
But that's not the first time he's done it - he's taken significant wins before in the wet. This is a specific talent he shares with Senna and Schumacher, both of whom were also prone to making the odd inexplicable mistake but whose overall talent made most of these mistakes somewhat irrelevant. Great drivers such as Senna and Schumacher did indeed make mistakes, because they took greater risks looking for greater rewards. It will be much the same with Hamilton.

As for last week, the wet is the ultimate leveler in F1 and I remain of the view that Lewis could have pulled off that win in an inferior car, albeit with a reduced margin.
I agree Hamilton has a lot of talent and will only get better with age. But please don't mention Senna or Schumacher, just yet.

Some how if Alonso could get a Ferrari seat. We could see some epic Hamilton vs. Alonso battles.

I always thought Trulli was a under appreciated driver. I have always been a Trulli fan, but I hate Toyota.
Old 07-20-2008 | 03:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='628386' date='Jul 20 2008, 12:58 PM
I don't think Alonso would be a good fit for BMW.

As much controversy Alonso brings now, he is still a HUGE talent. He could be unstoppable in a Ferrari.

I agree Hamilton has a lot of talent and will only get better with age. But please don't mention Senna or Schumacher, just yet.

Some how if Alonso could get a Ferrari seat. We could see some epic Hamilton vs. Alonso battles.

I always thought Trulli was a under appreciated driver. I have always been a Trulli fan, but I hate Toyota.
Yeah man i agree but i dunno why i have the feeling that in the BMW team there isn't a good driver that can really bridge with the mechanics to develop a good car. Heidfeld i see him mediocre while Kubica despite his driving talent i dunno if he's experienced enough to do the job. Alonso is known for doing extensive work to come up with a good car. THe same case was when he left Renaul for Mclaren. THe same thing you can see now at Renault. Despite the fact that the team (Renault) lost it's soul and passion, it doesn't have the necessary support anymore, and yet Alonso can still compensate to a point with his talent and skill to come up with some rather good set-ups. The latest qualies showed the same thing.

Quick Reply: Formula One 2008 (Rd.16, JAPANESE GRAND PRIX)