Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Firearm Enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='871503' date='May 7 2009, 03:44 PM
A common misconception is that gun owners are blood thirsty killers who are just waiting for someone to rob them so they can finally shoot someone. (Not saying you are one of those people).
Most aren't, but we all know you are buddy! hahah Especially with that aresenal you've got in your closet.

By the way, we've got a range meet here in Socal tomorrow. I'll have a range report with pics ready by tomorrow night.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by dbae1978' post='871514' date='May 7 2009, 06:50 PM
Most aren't, but we all know you are buddy! hahah
Only on the weekends
Old 05-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='871503' date='May 8 2009, 12:44 AM
For concealed carry, you want an extremely small gun with adequate stopping power. A small 5 shot J-frame revolver is very good choice, since revolvers are the most reliable type of handgun. You definitely want a J-frame that has the ability to shoot .357 Magnum Hollowpoints. (It is very tough practicing to shoot .357 out of such a small gun because after 5 rounds, your hand feels like it's going to snap off. It is seriously painful to target shoot with .357).

The reason why a lot of gun owners have many guns that they really normally wouldn't need is because they are SO damn fun to shoot!!
It's like the mod bug!! Strictly, you only need one for the house, one for the car, and one for personal carry. But they are so much fun to shoot and you always want the latest guns and want to try out different guns and calibers. If you went to a shooting range and just rented a gun, I am sure you would get hooked. I have never once met any A**holes at shooting ranges. There people there are usually very nice and are always in a good mood. The shooting ranges are all very safe and people generally know what they are doing.

Hope this clears things up

That's right.
Serious Bodyguards prefer a revolver.
You're trained to kill, so when you pull it you shoot and don't need lots of rounds. Two to the body and one to the head. So a five shot revolver does the job perfectly and will not fail, plus it's good to hide.

It is very interesting that in Germany you have to shoot the .357 Magnum in your certification progress. Why the hell do you want a bodyguard to shoot the .357 Magnum?
Well, you just do what they ask to get your license, even though you will probably never again touch it...

What I've learned over the years is:
Persons that need to carry don't like it and will only use their weapons for practice on a range and wish they wouldn't have to carry... Well, at least here in Germany.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='871561' date='May 7 2009, 07:26 PM
That's right.
Serious Bodyguards prefer a revolver.
You're trained to kill, so when you pull it you shoot and don't need lots of rounds. Two to the body and one to the head. So a five shot revolver does the job perfectly and will not fail, plus it's good to hide.

It is very interesting that in Germany you have to shoot the .357 Magnum in your certification progress. Why the hell do you want a bodyguard to shoot the .357 Magnum?
Well, you just do what they ask to get your license, even though you will probably never again touch it...

What I've learned over the years is:
Persons that need to carry don't like it and will only use their weapons for practice on a range and wish they wouldn't have to carry... Well, at least here in Germany.
I know in Germany you can get some SERIOUS heat when it comes to self defense. I have heard so many stories of people using a gun to defend themselves in the home and the criminal suing the gun owner and winning.... A lot of the time the judge will say you used excessive force. And as I recall it takes 2 years to get the license? I am not sure though.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='867194
let me just add that police are there AFTER the crime has been committed...
I know that from experience - when my pops got shot, took them 30 minutes to get there. The station was less than 30 minutes away walking distance! But that was in Russia. Still, however good the PD is here, there's no way they can be at the crime scene to prevent a crime - the only way to prevent a crime is to be prepared.

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='871561' date='May 7 2009, 07:26 PM
That's right.
Serious Bodyguards prefer a revolver...
...you pull it you shoot and don't need lots of rounds. Two to the body and one to the head. So a five shot revolver does the job perfectly ...
What if you are faced with more than one armed assailant?
I've always prefered an automatic.

And to answer someone's question from before, "what would I do if I woke up to the sound of an intruder?" - maybe my apt is really small, but I feel confident that a good kitchen knife will do in most situations - maybe even better than a gun, if there's more than one intruder...

Good thread y'all! You know, I came here and pay taxes and obide the law for a reason, and I must say, this thread makes me wanna say "I Love America!" Keep it up!
Old 05-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 530goinon850' post='872047' date='May 8 2009, 11:19 AM
You're not working alone as a bodyguard.

If you are protecting someone who REALLY needs it, you have about one dozen armed bodyguards to protect the person.

If I am alone, without any help, I am protecting somebody that is not in critical danger and a revolver also works here.

Now, back to the group of 12... Some would carry automatics, and I'd have rifles in the car for backup...
Old 05-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

530goingon850, this was gonna be my question also. Iceman, great answer! 12x5 = 60!

Personally, I carry both. I carry either a S&W 442 .38 revolver or a 4" XD9 auto. I prefer the 16 round auto. I actually have found this quite easy to conceal, but I have to plan ahead and take a few extra minutes to prepare. I take the revolver if I am in a hurry or attire doesn't allow for proper concealment of the full size auto.

That being said, I also prefer to leave the revolver with the misses because it is foolproof. I always carry one in the chamber with the auto and leave it like that at home for the misses, but she is too weak to rack the slide so if there were a misfire, jam, etc, she would be stuck.

Hey, that means I need to buy another revolver . That way if I carry the 442 she will still have a revolver in the house. I have to get on that.

530goingon850, thanks for sharing such a personal story. I couldn't imagine! My situation can not even compare to what you suffered, but the similarity is that we both realized the importance of the right to defend one's self and one's loved ones. We always think it will never happen to us. Unfortunately I was a victim of this naive thinking... until it happened. Fortunately for me, only property was lost, but the the realization that at that moment the bad guys had complete control was revolutionary in my thinking. Unfortunately for you 530, your state and Mayor Bloomberg, along with Illinois and California are the worst 2nd Amendment offenders in the Union. If I had to live in any of those states, I would exercise my right of self-protection regardless of the state laws.

As a side note... to any of you interested in a gun forum, this is the best on the web http://www.thehighroad.org

God made all men different... Sam Colt made them equal.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Contributors

We just ended our SoCal shooting range meet! Here's a link for more pics from the meet http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...60&start=60

Pic 1: (4) 8 Round Magazines .45 Cal ACP w/Kimber Team Match II @ 7 Yards.
Pic 2: Kimber Team Match II @ 12 Yards before adjusting sights.
Pic 3: Kimber Team Match II @ 12 Yards after slight adjustment.
Pic 4: Para 1911 .45 Cal ACP @ 10 yards no sight adjustments.
Pic 5: Kimber Team Match II @ 12 Yards dialed in just right.
Attached Thumbnails Firearm Enthusiasts-1.jpg   Firearm Enthusiasts-2.jpg   Firearm Enthusiasts-4.jpg   Firearm Enthusiasts-6.jpg   Firearm Enthusiasts-8.jpg  

Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Originally Posted by dbae1978' post='873301' date='May 9 2009, 02:17 AM
We just ended our SoCal shooting range meet! Here's a link for more pics from the meet http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...60&start=60

Pic 1: (4) 8 Round Magazines .45 Cal ACP w/Kimber Team Match II @ 7 Yards.
Pic 2: Kimber Team Match II @ 12 Yards before adjusting sights.
Pic 3: Kimber Team Match II @ 12 Yards after slight adjustment.
Pic 4: Para 1911 .45 Cal ACP @ 10 yards no sight adjustments.
Pic 5: Kimber Team Match II @ 12 Yards dialed in just right.
Why did to you shoot him in the back? You're a killer!! J/K Thanks for sharing!

Nice groups! My indoor pistol range has no target restrictions but my outdoor rifle range allows "bullseye" targets only. No profiles, no figures, no Bin Laden etc. I understand, I have no problem with it. Seems a little much but I would hate to work the line with a bunch of faces and figures downrange. Too many idiots to deal with. I'd probably kick them all out and the range would go bankrupt.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='872822' date='May 8 2009, 06:42 PM
You're not working alone as a bodyguard.

If you are protecting someone who REALLY needs it, you have about one dozen armed bodyguards to protect the person.

If I am alone, without any help, I am protecting somebody that is not in critical danger and a revolver also works here.

Now, back to the group of 12... Some would carry automatics, and I'd have rifles in the car for backup...
In 1983 The Connecticut State Police went from S&W .357 model 66 blued stainless revolvers, six rounds loaded and two 6 rd ammo pouches on belt, to Berreta 92 SB, 16 rounds loaded and two 15 rd clips on belt, total 46 rds as opposed to 18 .357 rds. The Berrettas we given to the dept in an exhange for the S&Ws. Due to the extensive field testing the with positve results the US Armed forces went from Colt .45s to this weapon. The CSP went to semi autos to try to keep up with fire power on the streets. The pistol was carried with 16 rds, safety off and funtioned like a revolver when drawn and fired. The dept along with most other PDs are now carrying .40 cal semi auto weapons.

"TROOPERS RIDE ALONE"

Quick Reply: Firearm Enthusiasts