Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

DROID Root Access HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
STEP 4. Open command prompt and run the following command to combine them: copy /b signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip+droid-ESE81-update-2.zip update.zip

He put what you type in STEP 5. The command he's telling you to type combines the two files.
Ah i see. I need to see this done in action perhaps in youtube. i get nervous i might brick my phone. let me know if you've successfully done it. thanks for the help. i'll try this guide proly tom.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Anyone else have rooted their Droid successfully?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Contributors

I know its not what you're asking, BUt...what you can do is just update your
Android to FROYO, Newer gadgets, newer add ons,lesser bugs and has WIFI ROUTER tethering without having to insert code and root and whatnot
Old 06-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Contributors

double post
Old 06-02-2010, 05:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

im waiting to get the HTC, but i was told by verizon that they had some production delays and they wont be available till around the double digits of june.. so im counting the days.. do i have to "root" it??? i have no clue what that is by the way
Old 06-02-2010, 06:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bteljuice
Android to FROYO, Newer gadgets, newer add ons,lesser bugs and has WIFI ROUTER tethering without having to insert code and root and whatnot
Nice! I've heard about Froyo but wasn't sure of it's features. Sounds promising to me. Here's a nice short write up for those who doesn't know about it:

http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=219934

Now it's a darn waiting game for the official OTA release...
Originally Posted by melimel
im waiting to get the HTC, but i was told by verizon that they had some production delays and they wont be available till around the double digits of june.. so im counting the days.. do i have to "root" it??? i have no clue what that is by the way
The HTC Incredible is a real iPhone killer IMO and i think it would be worth the wait. Froyo should be around the corner too so i don't think you would need to root your phone once you update to 2.2 firmware. Rooting your phone is like hacking it to gain developer user functionality. You'd be able to do pretty much anything you like on your phone such as Wifi Router Tethering and Custom ROMS. Roms are like themes for your phone's GUI with added features that you don't normally see on stock cellphones.

Now more research about Froyo...
Old 06-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bteljuice
Is there already a Froyo update for the Moto Droid? I haven't heard of that. As far as I know it's only available for the Nexus one. That was only available for about 24 hours and then Google plugged the hole where it was leaking from (luckily I got it done in time ).

Originally Posted by melimel
You don't need to root, it's just an advanced thing that people like to do to work around the rules. There are things that the OS won't let you do, and by rooting, you can make it do them. Less than 1% of people root their phone. I haven't rooted my Nexus one. The recent 2.2 release of Android (called Froyo) brought out quite a lot of new features as standard that were the reasons people used to want to root.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Is there already a Froyo update for the Moto Droid? I haven't heard of that. As far as I know it's only available for the Nexus one. That was only available for about 24 hours and then Google plugged the hole where it was leaking from (luckily I got it done in time ).

You don't need to root, it's just an advanced thing that people like to do to work around the rules. There are things that the OS won't let you do, and by rooting, you can make it do them. Less than 1% of people root their phone. I haven't rooted my Nexus one. The recent 2.2 release of Android (called Froyo) brought out quite a lot of new features as standard that were the reasons people used to want to root.
I'm not sure if there's a Froyo update for the Droid. They just mentioned an update for "most" Android phones. You're lucky to be able to test out the Froyo before anyone else. How's the Wifi Router Tethering? What features mattered most to you?

I can't wait...
Old 06-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jcool10181
I'm not sure if there's a Froyo update for the Droid. They just mentioned an update for "most" Android phones. You're lucky to be able to test out the Froyo before anyone else. How's the Wifi Router Tethering? What features mattered most to you?

I can't wait...
Oh there'll definitely BE an update for Droid. It's just not clear how soon. Not surprisingly Google focused on their own phone first. I think the next one to get it is the Evo 4G.

What do I like about it. Hmmmm.

The tethering ability is nice, but I'd only need to use it if my home internet connection goes down and that's very rare. So it's good to have, but I won't really be using it. The best thing about it is that not only can it do USB tethering, but it can also act as a wifi hotspot and allow multiple devices to connect through it.

I like that Froyo makes a couple of hundred megabytes of memory available that previously were locked by the Linux kernel.

The ability to install apps to SD card instead of main memory is good. That only works once app developers enable that feature though.

I like the new phone and browser buttons that are at the bottom of the screen on all 5 desktops.

Being able to specify that some apps are allowed to auto-update without needing permission is good too.

I think battery life might be handled better too, but I never usually get low on battery so it might just be an illusion.

Browser performance is supposed to be greatly improved thanks to the V8 JavaScript engine but you'd only really notice it on really slow/heavy websites.

Flash is "able to be installed" with Froyo 2.2 but you don't get it as part of the release. It's just that once you do have it, you can go to adobe.com or the market and you're allowed to install it. Without it you get told to go away.

The app launcher gets a nice 3D look too. As well as the 16 icons you can see fully, you can also see the others fading down and into the distance as if the icons are on a big wheel. Cute and effective.

Oh, and finally, I like that you can choose to rotate the phone either way now. You're not restricted to doing it only one way to get landscape view.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Oh there'll definitely BE an update for Droid. It's just not clear how soon. Not surprisingly Google focused on their own phone first. I think the next one to get it is the Evo 4G.

What do I like about it. Hmmmm.

The tethering ability is nice, but I'd only need to use it if my home internet connection goes down and that's very rare. So it's good to have, but I won't really be using it. The best thing about it is that not only can it do USB tethering, but it can also act as a wifi hotspot and allow multiple devices to connect through it.

I like that Froyo makes a couple of hundred megabytes of memory available that previously were locked by the Linux kernel.

The ability to install apps to SD card instead of main memory is good. That only works once app developers enable that feature though.

I like the new phone and browser buttons that are at the bottom of the screen on all 5 desktops.

Being able to specify that some apps are allowed to auto-update without needing permission is good too.

I think battery life might be handled better too, but I never usually get low on battery so it might just be an illusion.

Browser performance is supposed to be greatly improved thanks to the V8 Javascript engine but you'd only really notice it on really slow/heavy websites.

Flash is "able to be installed" with Froyo 2.2 but you don't get it as part of the release. It's just that once you do have it, you can go to adobe.com or the market and you're allowed to install it. Without it you get told to go away.

The app launcher gets a nice 3D look too. As well as the 16 icons you can see fully, you can also see the others fading down and into the distance as if the icons are on a big wheel. Cute and effective.

Oh, and finally, I like that you can choose to rotate the phone either way now. You're not restricted to doing it only one way to get landscape view.
Nice review