Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Driving in Italy

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:51 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be travelling in Italy later on in the year for work. I really want to get out and experience some of that famous Italian driving, anyone got any recommendations? I know Amalfi Drive is supposed to be stunning, but anyone know any not quite so famous awesome roads to drive on?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by dm46
I am going to be travelling in Italy later on in the year for work. I really want to get out and experience some of that famous Italian driving, anyone got any recommendations? I know Amalfi Drive is supposed to be stunning, but anyone know any not quite so famous awesome roads to drive on?
Be sure to coat your car with 6 inches of Titanium. Otherwise you don't have a chance of surviving.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

Originally Posted by juris335
Be sure to coat your car with 6 inches of Titanium. Otherwise you don't have a chance of surviving.

Haha! So true! ^^
I rented a car and drove throughout Tuscany. It was a great drive, but as you near the city center(s) it becomes hectic....quickly! Especially when trying to read signs....in Italian!

The Amalfi Coast is a great drive. I rented a scooter and took it from Sorrento to Positano....with my wife on the back! I'm laughing just typing this, but it was freaking awesome, and we both still laugh when we look at the pics we took along the way. The views are amazing!
Old 08-18-2011, 12:26 AM
New Members

If you are going to be driving on the Amalfi Drive in Italy, rent a convertible for the best experience - this road takes threads along the cliff tops and is amazing with the top down. Unless of course you are there in August, in which case you may actually want a car with air conditioning.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:28 AM
New Members

Have you looked at the Stelvio Pass too? This road is awesome and I try to drive it whenever I happen to find myself traveling in that area. It has something like 60 hairpin bends and the view is incredible. It does get a bit busy though, but all the same it is a fantastic driving road.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by dm46
Just don't go driving into big city downtowns! Otherwise no problems.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i Olivine Green w/ Beige leather interior, 6 spd manual, premium package, comfort access, cold weather package, heated rear seats. 2005 Acura MDX Touring Sage Brush Pearl w/ NAV, running boards, roof rack 1993 325is Calypso Red w/ Parchment leather interior, 5 spd manual. (Sold Nov 06)

Originally Posted by PlanB
Haha! So true! ^^
I rented a car and drove throughout Tuscany. It was a great drive, but as you near the city center(s) it becomes hectic....quickly! Especially when trying to read signs....in Italian!

The Amalfi Coast is a great drive. I rented a scooter and took it from Sorrento to Positano....with my wife on the back! I'm laughing just typing this, but it was freaking awesome, and we both still laugh when we look at the pics we took along the way. The views are amazing!
I've been to the Amalfi Coast three times...one time I rented a scooter in Sorrento and rode it to Ravello and back. It was a blast. We stopped in all the towns along the way...it was easy to find a parking spot too! Another time we hired a car and took it to Positano. The driver acted as our tour guide and took us to all the non-touristy spots, plus the best places to eat! The final time, we struck up a friendship with some locals and they acted as our tour guide. Had a great time.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

Originally Posted by dmahon
I've been to the Amalfi Coast three times...one time I rented a scooter in Sorrento and rode it to Ravello and back. It was a blast. We stopped in all the towns along the way...it was easy to find a parking spot too! Another time we hired a car and took it to Positano. The driver acted as our tour guide and took us to all the non-touristy spots, plus the best places to eat! The final time, we struck up a friendship with some locals and they acted as our tour guide. Had a great time.
AMALFI!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i did a roadtrip from rome>naples>pompei>amalfi>florence>milan, and all in five days! the main places driving gets hectic is in the big city centers. naples was the worse. the highways are pretty nice and easy to drive. and you may want to get the damage waiver on the rental car. lol