Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Did anyone else notice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009 | 08:46 AM
Members

My Ride: V

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1021076
A few nuclear bombs make a nation a target. A nuclear arsenal capable of delivery makes a nation a power. Israel has a vast nuclear arsenal only exceeded by American forces that surround Iran from sunrise to sunset. Although Mahmoud Ahmadinejad may be idiotic, his idiocy doesn?t transfer to the Iranian leadership because he isn?t the leader of Iran and the Iranian leadership is not stupid. The Revolutionary Guards aren?t the Taliban. Iran is run by the presidency, the Revolutionary Guards, the Guardian Council and the Parliament all under the watchful eye of the Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. I don?t fear the Iranian people because, sad to say, the average Iranian is educated and much more knowledgeable of world affairs than the average American. I no more believe that the Iranian leadership wants to nuke Israel than I believe that most educated Iranians believe that the Jewish holocaust didn?t happen.
He is still the leader and the face of the country, the masses still follow his word.. Some Iranians will diagree with him obviously, but the leader of the nation is still denying the holocaust and constantly denouncing America/Israel. I would have to imagine the majority of the nation agrees with him..
Old 09-30-2009 | 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1021076' date='Sep 30 2009, 06:19 PM
...let's keep to the subject, because politically we will never agree.

EXACTLY!
Old 09-30-2009 | 08:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

We must also keep in mind that Isreal does not, in fact, possess nuclear tipped missles. They have tactical nuclear bombs, these were developed and sold by the US for their defense. So while they do have a nuclear arsenal, let's not try to say they can be the aggressor here. There is a huge difference between strategic nuclear weapons and tactical nuclear weapons.
Old 09-30-2009 | 09:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BluedMan' post='1021106' date='Sep 30 2009, 09:46 AM
Agreed, I just had to stick up for foxnews.
We seem to agree on some issues though.. 2nd amendment rights and this one.. up until obama got brought up haha
I converse with a lot of my good friends about similar topics; being under 30, my conservative views arent the norm usually.. so I come across a lot of opposition which makes good convo .

Back to Iran

He is still the leader and the face of the country, the masses still follow his word.. Some Iranians will diagree with him obviously, but the leader of the nation is still denying the holocaust and constantly denouncing America/Israel. I would have to imagine the majority of the nation agrees with him..
I am in my mid-30s now and I have both liberal and conservative leanings (as, I think, most rational people do). That said, this is not a political issue. jrbmwenthusiast actually made very good points. The Iranian PEOPLE would not support actual use of these weapons, I agree, however the government that is in place is not there at the will of the people (anyone remember the protests and subsequent riots?). So I am not sure that the people themselves would have any say in the matter.
Old 09-30-2009 | 09:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1020962' date='Sep 30 2009, 10:49 AM
Our military is still a force to be reckoned with, second to none, and I don't see anything wrong with them trying to cut money where needed.
+1 The U.S. dropped the idea of being an invasion/occupation force about 20 years ago. Ironically, this is the very same reason why our current armed forces are stretched so thin.

We definitely have the technology and special ops to pull off a "surgical strike"...I'm not sure about another occupation.

As for the budget cuts, most went against contracts/programs that were either wasting money, were meeting military requirements, or just not in the current future plans. Defense contracts have been a cash cow for years and could definitely use a good trimming.
Old 09-30-2009 | 09:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1021132' date='Sep 30 2009, 10:06 AM
I am in my mid-30s now and I have both liberal and conservative leanings (as, I think, most rational people do). That said, this is not a political issue. jrbmwenthusiast actually made very good points. The Iranian PEOPLE would not support actual use of these weapons, I agree, however the government that is in place is not there at the will of the people (anyone remember the protests and subsequent riots?). So I am not sure that the people themselves would have any say in the matter.
+1 john keep in mind that this is the country that had 20 mannequins removed from theyre local department store windows because the GVT thought they were "to provocatively dressed" also the same GVT that executed a 16 yr old girl who had an affair w a 45? yr old cab driver, he was married, and they hung her in the town square because she was a "harlot"

screw there backward ass GVT and the way they think..
Old 09-30-2009 | 10:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Iran isn't a threat- today, but with their recent missile tests (1,200 NM range), they are increasing in their capability. But, capability in and of itself is not a threat, continued expansion of said capability will be. If they pose a threat to anyone (aside from Israel) it's the U.S.A.. They're only a threat to us because we back Israel and they know it. Trust me, they would not be stupid enough to launch an attack against Russia or China. I find it impossible to believe Russia or China would exercise the same restraint in military action against Iran, as we have show in our surgical dealings with Afghanistan and Iraq.

I think Iran wants to become a nuclear power because then they may feel they can stand on equal footing on the world stage with known nuclear powers, like the U.S. Russia, France, England, Israel, India and Pakistan (Who's bright idea was it not watch the nuclear proliferation window long enough to let India and Pakistan become nuclear powers? Remember when those two were at the brink of nuclear war about 10 years ago?). They think having the ability to deal a devastating blow will put them on equal footing with the major players on the globe. As was said before, having a few only makes them a target, it's better to have hundreds, or none- that to have a few. As was said in the movie The Peacemaker- "I'm not afraid of the man who wants 100 nuclear weapons. I'm terrified of the man who only wants one".

We may turn on the news one morning, and find out Iran has become a threat. The way to avoid that is to convince them through dialogue to make a U-Turn from their current course- or, if they keep on, lay the smacketh down on them, and set their programs back another 20 - 30 years. But, if we lay the smackdown on Iran, it's only right that we do the same with North Korea, who essentially "punked" the Bush Administration, and developed the weapons in an in-your-face defiant manner. I'm sure if NK wasn't in China's backyard, there would only be "Korea" right now- Not a North or South Korea, and no DMZ.

As powerful as we are, we can't whip everyone into our way of thinking. But, if the globe is thinking the way we are, then they need to be willing to put some skin in the game too, to keep these would-be rogue nations in check. It'd be real nice to see some Russian Hind Helicopters patrolling the skies of Afghanistan along with our Apaches; some T-80 tanks alongside our M1's, some MiG-35's & SU-27's flying top cover with our F-15's, & F-16's. Together with Russia and the other powerful nations, these smaller countries can be brought in line with peaceful thinking. But, as long as the US, China, and Russia aren't on the same page, little stuff from countries like Iran, Afghanistan, and North Korea will keep bubbling to the surface, until they are smashed down, one and for all.

You older guys will remember back in the day when Libya couldn't keep their mouth shut. Declaring war on the U.S. and all that? Do you guys remember what Reagan did to Muammar al-Gaddafii/Libya? When those F-111's got through with his butt, Libya kept their mouth closed from 1986 until last week. Who saw that coming? <BOOM>

It's happened before... It can happen again.

So, I'm not worried about Iran right now, nor do I believe our leadership is- at this point. However, if Mahmoud Ahmadinejad keeps running his mouth, well, let's just say he'd better ask Muammar al-Gaddafi, if it's a good idea to rail against the U.S...

When leaders/dictators get out of line, the US will check them:

Hitler: Check Mate (D-Day, and the following 10 months)
Mussolini: Check Mate (Internally)
Emporer of Japan: Check Mate (Hiroshima & Nagasaki, 1945)
Fidel Castro: Check (Cuban Missile Crisis, and subsequent sanctions)
Muammar al-Gaddafi: Check (Reagan, April 1986)
Saddam Hussein: Check, and Check Mate (1991 Desert Storm, 2003 Gulf War)
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: Pending
Kim Jong-Il: Pending

BigHersh
Desert Storm Vet, 10 years-
SSG, US Army
ETS'd
Old 09-30-2009 | 10:39 AM
Contributors

I have to say Bighersh, I agree with you. However, dealing with it when they DO become a viable power will be too late. Setting their program back 20-30 years won't be enough. Also regarding India and Pakistan - they are on the brink of nuclear war on a regular basis, nothing new. They became nuclear powers using the same HUGE loopholes in the NPT as Iran is trying to use now (please refer to the article link I posted yesterday).
Old 09-30-2009 | 10:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1021265' date='Sep 30 2009, 11:39 AM
I have to say Bighersh, I agree with you. However, dealing with it when they DO become a viable power will be too late. Setting their program back 20-30 years won't be enough. Also regarding India and Pakistan - they are on the brink of nuclear war on a regular basis, nothing new. They became nuclear powers using the same HUGE loopholes in the NPT as Iran is trying to use now (please refer to the article link I posted yesterday).
turning the desert to glass would be tho
Old 09-30-2009 | 10:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='1021275' date='Sep 30 2009, 11:46 AM
turning the desert to glass would be tho
Maybe, but not very politic. There are very many Iranians that do not agree with what the govt is doing, why should they be made to suffer?

Quick Reply: Did anyone else notice?