Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Creative way to get noticed for a job

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Check out this guys resume.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Contributors

fancy, but most of the information on there is subjective and you cant base it off realistic quantitative production. That pie slice/chart on the bottom left indicates that he spends no time doing anything life-related. if he does, what percentage of his day is dedicated to professional development. 1 hour? not impressive.

The line chart on the bottom right lists humor in the legend. Humor, again is subjective. I posted a thread on here the other day poking fun at overweight people in bathing suits. I thought it was funny, apparently it wasnt. how does one gauge level of humor, specifically on a resume. maybe a comedian can base humor on doing a laughter to amount of stage time analysis in comparison to other comedians.

Top chart? define "relative energy expenditure". relative to what? that fact that he spent X amount of energy at work and X amount of energy on academics holds no bearing on what the overall outcome of his efforts were. I see he mentions he graduated.

While the chart is pretty, I give it a massive FAIL. a simple 1-2 page resume with a cover sheet would suffice. If an HR rep puts half the thought i just put in to it (which was about 3 minutes) he will surely not be selected for the position, providing there are other qualified candidates. nobody likes a kiss ass, and nobody likes someone who is going to try to make themselves stand out when their work is a result of a poor thought process put in some silly charts for everyone to see.

F.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Contributors

looking back i see "coffee intake"

i now see that these charts are simply examples of what he can do. not too bad then i guess, however, i would be weary to include those examples (the ones that seem more serious) as it may appear that while his graphics skills are well honed, his thought processes may be slightly askew.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Contributors

I don't think its so much the content but it is to get noticed. It made it on the frontpage of Digg so he must have done something right to get noticed in what is probably a sea of resumes that are probably floating around these days. I'm sure he has a "real" resume that he would give a company if they were interested in him further.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='929896' date='Jul 1 2009, 07:09 PM
I don't think its so much the content but it is to get noticed. It made it on the frontpage of Digg so he must have done something right to get noticed in what is probably a sea of resumes that are probably floating around these days. I'm sure he has a "real" resume that he would give a company if they were interested in him further.
you are probably 100% correct. i cant believe this made the front page of digg though!
Old 07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Contributors

right now there are so many people coming out of college with the same degree as thousands of other people. this resume is doing exactly what you have to do to get a job right now! make them remember you, seperate yourself from all the other average joes with colleges degrees and there "real" resumes! When going in for an interview they will look at this and be blown away. you will have already impressed without saying a word.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='929906' date='Jul 1 2009, 07:30 PM
right now there are so many people coming out of college with the same degree as thousands of other people. this resume is doing exactly what you have to do to get a job right now! make them remember you, seperate yourself from all the other average joes with colleges degrees and there "real" resumes! When going in for an interview they will look at this and be blown away. you will have already impressed without saying a word.
i am still not impressed with it.

i still think this could go either way. i have had to prepare similar documents at work and i dont have a degree in pretty graphs. difference is i analyze thousands of intelligence products and determine a trend which in turn affects policy. Therefore, maybe it is just me being a douchebag as usual and not really caring for this cheeseball attempt at getting noticed. there are ways to make your resume stand out without attaching a colorful nonsensical graph to it. i know it is competitive out there. i entered the work force just 7 months ago with no college. I spent a LOT of time on my resume. a LOT. my resume stood out enough that i was a shoe in before the interview.

stand out without colorful silly graphs, then you will really stand out.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

What's sad is that this guy will probably get more attention than my "systems and processes I originated and implemented cut down losses due to human and machine errors by 90%" - and that's was just the first year I was here. But if its not a pie chart, no one will bother reading - just like I can't bring myself up to read all those long-ass posts Craig put up
Old 07-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i Olivine Green w/ Beige leather interior, 6 spd manual, premium package, comfort access, cold weather package, heated rear seats. 2005 Acura MDX Touring Sage Brush Pearl w/ NAV, running boards, roof rack 1993 325is Calypso Red w/ Parchment leather interior, 5 spd manual. (Sold Nov 06)

I think his resume had exactly the effect he wanted...to get your attention...after all, this is a car forum and we're talking about it! As for going with something non-traditional, it depends really on what kind of job you're going for. If he is going for graphic design or illustration...this works. If he was going for some office management job, probably wouldn't. Also agree with AWG...there are thousands of college grads competing for the same jobs along with experienced people who have been laid off...you have to do something to stand out and get people to remember you. I think he accomplished that.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='929986' date='Jul 1 2009, 08:15 PM
i am still not impressed with it.

i still think this could go either way. i have had to prepare similar documents at work and i dont have a degree in pretty graphs. difference is i analyze thousands of intelligence products and determine a trend which in turn affects policy. Therefore, maybe it is just me being a douchebag as usual and not really caring for this cheeseball attempt at getting noticed. there are ways to make your resume stand out without attaching a colorful nonsensical graph to it. i know it is competitive out there. i entered the work force just 7 months ago with no college. I spent a LOT of time on my resume. a LOT. my resume stood out enough that i was a shoe in before the interview.

stand out without colorful silly graphs, then you will really stand out.
It doesn't matter how you word it, what he was after worked. We are talking about some random guys resume on a bmw forum. Creativity is key.

Quick Reply: Creative way to get noticed for a job