Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

COB Adder(Tallil,Iraq)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang it's hot in this god forsaken country. My out side thermometer read 128 degrees. Thank goodness I go on R&R in 7 more days. Headed back to the states to see my babies and put my car in the shop to begin it's transformation. I won't miss the incoming alarm.......
Old 07-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Contributors

There is nothing like Southern Iraq in the middle of summer.

Better you than me this time

I spent some time in Balad, which is actually not as hot as where you are. We could get the 140 degree thermostats to pin out on the airfield. The only thing that can make that hell hole hotter is miles of black top. When I traveled, i typically went north.

Kuwait is a bit worse temp wise!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Are you staying in LA-6? I was there last year. If you know or meet a SPC named Rump, that is my Soldier. He was there with me in 2009-2010 and he is back out there. Tell him I said I am watching him LOL. He is in a transportation unit.

Good to hear you are getting some R&R.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841
There is nothing like Southern Iraq in the middle of summer.

Better you than me this time

I spent some time in Balad, which is actually not as hot as where you are. We could get the 140 degree thermostats to pin out on the airfield. The only thing that can make that hell hole hotter is miles of black top. When I traveled, i typically went north.

Kuwait is a bit worse temp wise!
I was in Balad 05-06 that place was tight ,outdoor pool, movie theater. AF had there own grren bean in H-6. Will be in Kuwait (Ali Al Salem) next week to go on R&R. The tents are hot as hell in the summer in Kuwait.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tonymac
Are you staying in LA-6? I was there last year. If you know or meet a SPC named Rump, that is my Soldier. He was there with me in 2009-2010 and he is back out there. Tell him I said I am watching him LOL. He is in a transportation unit.

Good to hear you are getting some R&R.
I'm right by LA-6 I'm across from the fuel point next to LA-7. IF you went to the Body Shop(gym)you probly so me all the time. I was the short bald swole hispanic guy who was always at the gym( civilian). My right arm is all sleeved up. I'll look out for SPC Rump.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 550itx
I was in Balad 05-06 that place was tight ,outdoor pool, movie theater. AF had there own grren bean in H-6. Will be in Kuwait (Ali Al Salem) next week to go on R&R. The tents are hot as hell in the summer in Kuwait.
I was in the Army but got to live in H-6! HAHA. We had that bad ass gym, the green bean, our own MWR and internet cafe, and super quick access to DFAC 3!

We got to live there because we were in an aviation (fixed wing recon) unit. We were in the giant hanger right there across from H6. It was pretty awesome. Ali Al Salem is BRUTAL in the summer. I was there in August 2008 and I wanted to DIE.

I'll never forget, the first time I stepped off a C-130 in Balad in the middle of the night and it was like 110-120 and it was dusty, and i was being blasted with dusty, balls hot rotor wash... the FIRST THING I SAID was "no wonder people are killing each other here, this place is terrible."

But in a terrible place, Balad (LSA Anaconda/Joint Base Balad) was pretty sweet.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Was the body shop the one in the clam shell type covering? there was a single porta potty in front and a px trailer on the side of it? If so, I was there all the time as well. It is hard to describe myself because I look like too many people. Hispanic, athletic, AMAZING HAIR LOL...

Yeah, Adder was a good place compared to other places i have been.

I ran the boston marathon there.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841
I was in the Army but got to live in H-6! HAHA. We had that bad ass gym, the green bean, our own MWR and internet cafe, and super quick access to DFAC 3!

We got to live there because we were in an aviation (fixed wing recon) unit. We were in the giant hanger right there across from H6. It was pretty awesome. Ali Al Salem is BRUTAL in the summer. I was there in August 2008 and I wanted to DIE.

I'll never forget, the first time I stepped off a C-130 in Balad in the middle of the night and it was like 110-120 and it was dusty, and i was being blasted with dusty, balls hot rotor wash... the FIRST THING I SAID was "no wonder people are killing each other here, this place is terrible."

But in a terrible place, Balad (LSA Anaconda/Joint Base Balad) was pretty sweet.
H-6 was the spot but, it was in motarville alley. That place was always getting hit.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tonymac
Was the body shop the one in the clam shell type covering? there was a single porta potty in front and a px trailer on the side of it? If so, I was there all the time as well. It is hard to describe myself because I look like too many people. Hispanic, athletic, AMAZING HAIR LOL...

Yeah, Adder was a good place compared to other places i have been.

I ran the boston marathon there.
Yeah that's the one. Amazing hair.......LMAO
Old 07-15-2011, 04:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 550itx
H-6 was the spot but, it was in motarville alley. That place was always getting hit.
Yeah- There were actually some combat action badges issued to people while they were hanging out in H-6. I think the rules for the CAB have since changed and require engagement of the enemy, but this was in its earlier days when you could get one for just hearing the incomming.

What I loved most about living in H-6 and having multiple "incomming" sirens a day was the way the air force people would dive on the ground and cover their heads. If they had food from the DFAC in a to-go box, they would just ditch it to hit the ground face first.

Oh the air force

Quick Reply: COB Adder(Tallil,Iraq)