Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Be carefull out there!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 07:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 25 2004, 07:28 PM
As far as the "stopper bars", it looks to me as if the truck had them (they're in blue). From what I can see, the car may have made contact with the bars on the passenger side but then the car sort of folded in half around them.
Yeah i only realised that after i posted...

I guess they only really work when its a straight collision as opposed to vering to one side.

Damn that was a nasty accident. Just as bad as the wrap around the tree one posted a while ago...
Old 06-25-2004, 08:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

My girlfriend (and future wife, we're gonna get married next saturday) was supposed to come with me that day. Fortunately I told here too late so she couldn't get a day of from her work. Anyone in the passengerseat would not have survived this accident.

Yesterday I went to see the wreck in person. I can tell you this was very emotional for me. Even I myself can not believe anybody got out of the car alive.

I am looking into a 530 or a 525. I am still debating on the engine. My family would like me to buy a 525, but I drove the car and I find the engine in combination with the 6 speed auto very nervous. In other words if I press the gasspedal on the free way 40% to accelerate the car starts to go back one or two gears. I also drove a 530 that doesn't have this behavur and uses it's torque to accelarate instead of going back in the gears.

I really need to order my new car quickly because the only car I have now is a Smart Brabus and for the moment this car is too little for me and I am scared driving it.
Monday is the day, I will have to make my mind up for monday or I will miss the production July spot (august 15th delivery), and probably have to wait an extra 2 to 4 weeks.

Thanks for all your replies, your supportive words are all helping me a lot to give this accident a place in my life!
Old 06-25-2004, 08:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Btw the truck had stopperbars but they broke of due to the heavy impact of the car. The trailer I hit was also totalled because the frame wasn't straight anymore.

I've had a long talk with my father in law last night and he believes there must have been a mechanical failure in the car. I've been thinking of it all night and maybe, just maybe I've had a blowout in my right rear tire. This may explain the sudden skidding of the back of the car and the reason why it got so out of control while I was trying to countersteer in the opposite direction.

I think I'll never know because I cannot remember what happened exactly, there are only blurs of the accident and what happened that day.

Again guys, be safe out there!
Old 06-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Senior Members

hello my fellow dutch friend, i am shocked by the photos of your terrible accident.
it is a miracle that you survived from that wreck, and good karma that your finace' wasn't there that day. hope that you are fine and will recover fully soon.
by being determined to get another car and drive again shows that you have good spirits and are a strong person. thanks for the story to remind us there are always danger on the roads and to drive with caution.
i drive the e60 530i and love the car more by the day, would you consider the 530d? if i live in europe that will be me car of choice for the power/cost/fuel economy reasons.
how about buying manuel/ smg? in certain emergency situations, being able to drop a gear or two in a split second to dart out of a potential scenerio or engine assist braking can also be highly effective safety measures.
rollee
Old 06-25-2004, 08:51 PM
Contributors

In holland diesels are being taxed severe. A diesel is only interesting if I drive more than 40.000 km per year. I drive around 25 to 30.000 km per year so that would be a waste of money for me.

I really want an automatic gear box. My new car has to be a relaxed car for me since I spend a lot of time in it (in traffic jams usually hehe). So no more sport or sporty for me.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:38 AM
Senior Members

530E60NL - Same thing here, I needed a more comfortable car too because I am a lot on the road and traffic jams are getting bigger everyday, not quite the same yet as in Holland but they are growing.

I also drove a 330Cic and when test driving the 525i steptronic I had the same problem that you described, not enough torque under the right foot. I finally ended up with a 525d steptronic which is faster 0-100 than the 525i and when driving at high speeds it accelerates much easier and a lot faster (maybe even faster than the 530i?). When it comes down to fuel economy it will use something like 30% less fuel and taxes here in Belgium are only something like 300 EUR/year extra! I dunno what the additional tax in Holland will be like but I would really consider the 525d as an alternative if they are not extremely high!
Old 06-26-2004, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

Wow, that looks like an horrific accident. It's very brave of you to come on and post pictures and talk about it so soon afterwards. I don't think I'd have the stomach for it. Good luck to you with your new car and safe driving my friend!
Old 06-26-2004, 08:48 AM
sj3
Senior Members

530E60NL: Along with everyone here, I am very, very glad you are ok and able to share this with us. In my opinion, I think BMW definitely contributed to your being ok and the grace of Gd kept your fiance out of the car that day. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals. Make the most of every second.

I was going to recommend the non-sport 530 due to the bit of extra weight and you seem to connect with it better. However, it looks from your username that you're leaning that way anyway.

Sam
Old 06-26-2004, 10:21 AM
Contributors

-Johan. Buying a diesel is more expensive than a petrol version due to higher taxes. Also the roadtax I have to pay is much higher. Before people said that at 25000 to 30000 km's per year was the moment to swich to diesel. I recently read a study from an university in Delft and they calculated it should be around 43.000 km's per year with current diesel prices and taxes.

I'm gratefull to still be around. My faith was very little the last few years. Tomorrow I am going to church to show my gratitude for still being here. I have to say my opinion is definately changed.

Thanks for all your replies, as said, talking about the accident really helps me.

Btw. I didn't order the car yet. I think I'm gonna wait until after my honeymoon trip. In that way I am sure that I have a 2005 version.

Thanks guys!