Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Be carefull out there!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

This may be a bit off topic, but I want to share with you guys the reason why I am buying a new 5 series.

Last thursday (8 days ago) I was involved in a very heavy accident with my 330 Ci Convertible. My back end started skidding on the freeway and unlucky as I was I drove in the back of a broken down truck with 100 km/h. Although I was unlucky having the accident I was lucky enough to get out of the wreck allive. The only thing I have is scars, bruses and a small crack in my scull (nothing serious).

Please be aware that the following pictures are a bit shocking.

The reason why I show you these pictures is to let you show what happened to me and hope you guys will be carefull when your out there.
Attached Thumbnails Be carefull out there!-17_06_2004_auto_onder_vrachtwagen_8432_g.jpg  
Old 06-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

number 2
Attached Thumbnails Be carefull out there!-17_06_2004_auto_onder_vrachtwagen_8452_g.jpg  
Old 06-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Contributors

number 3
Attached Thumbnails Be carefull out there!-17_06_2004_auto_onder_vrachtwagen_8465_g.jpg  
Old 06-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Contributors

number 4
Attached Thumbnails Be carefull out there!-17_06_2004_auto_onder_vrachtwagen_8476_g.jpg  
Old 06-25-2004, 01:59 PM
Contributors

Be carefull out there guys. Fortunately I cannot remember much about the accident. The police is still having an investigation if the car had a technical problem or if I did something wrong/stupid.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:02 PM
JDN
Contributors

Absolutely amazing. We are fortunate that we did not lose a proud Bimmer enthusiast. The 5 series should be safer, but sliding under a truck . . .
Old 06-25-2004, 02:21 PM
Contributors

Wow, glad to know you made it.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

damn - I am glad that you only have some bruses, could have been much worse. About the skidding of the car, a friend of me had the same problem with his 3 Series coupe, his car started to skid too when driving on the highway and he ended up with his front side back in some rails at the border of the road! Luckly he too only had a couple of bruses. When they did an investigation to how this happened the garage conclude that the accident was caused by the profile of his rear tyres being weared out in the middle of the wheel. When driving fast with not enough pressure in your wheels the profile will become rounder due to the wheels rotating at high speed, resulting in only the middle part of your profile making contact with the ground and as soon as this part is weared out you are driving without any profile left when going really fast. This situation is really dangerous as you do not expect a problem with your wheels because they have enough grip when going slower and taking corners etc, you only realize there is a problem when it's too late, so make sure the check your tire pressure often!
Old 06-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Members

freaking hell dude, i hope all is ok. So are you looking to get a new car now?If so what are you looking to get?

In austraila, we legislated to have "stopper bars" at the rear of all trucks, new or old - they were all forced to install them, after a horriffic accident on one of our highways, where a car, much like yours, slid under a moving truck, the passangers were decapitated, and ever since, there has not been one accident like that. Essentially the stopper bar is a lowered guard, that ensures that no car can fit under the undercarriage of a truck. It really is quite a life saving piece of equipment, and trucks overseas should be forced to do the same.

I'm very glad that nothing hurt you. You are a very lucky man.

Do you think that the BMW's safety features played a part in saving you or was it just the grace of God that saved you?
Old 06-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Glad to hear you're okay! That's an unbelievable accident. You're certainly a very lucky guy! Wow -- I don't know what else to say. Any passengers in the car and if so, are they okay too?

As far as the "stopper bars", it looks to me as if the truck had them (they're in blue). From what I can see, the car may have made contact with the bars on the passenger side but then the car sort of folded in half around them.

Either way, I'm just speechless and thankful that you're still around to share this with us. Life will most certainly take on a new meaning for you after surviving such a severe accident!

Quick Reply: Be carefull out there!