Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Can we start a campaign

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In SoCal, the majority of people cruise at the speed limit on the far left lane. I just ride up on their ass and swerve in my own lane to get his attention. People STILL don't move though.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='430899' date='Jun 1 2007, 11:52 PM
Our system here in Germany works pretty good.

You ALLWAYS have to use the farest RIGHT lane!
The lanes on the left are there for overtaking only!
No one is allowed to stay in the left lane, only for the overtaking.
Even if you are driving the allowed speed limit you don't have the right to stay in the left lane when there is room on the right.

This system works pretty good, allthough there are allways f*cksticks doing it wrong.

System works the same here as, I suspect, it does in most places, it's just those ****sticks... And let's not get started on the geniuses who camp in the middle lane...
Old 06-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Contributors

I wouldn't mind blinking the left turn signal as you approach a f*ckstick. I heard that is what is done in Europe to notify someone if you want to pass. Is this common practice in Europe?

Still, I think we have too many dumbsh!ts who don't know how to drive in the US. Good Luck with the campaign. I'm all for it, this is one of my major pet peeves.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ro11dice' post='431736' date='Jun 4 2007, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't mind blinking the left turn signal as you approach a f*ckstick. I heard that is what is done in Europe to notify someone if you want to pass. Is this common practice in Europe?
Yes, we do it, but it's not legal and can be an extremely expensive ticket, just as flashing the headlights...
Old 06-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='431774' date='Jun 4 2007, 11:19 AM
Yes, we do it, but it's not legal and can be an extremely expensive ticket, just as flashing the headlights...
hmm, didn't know it was illegal.

as far as the flashing headlights, i thought this was common practice on overtaking on two-lane roads to notify oncoming traffic that you are entering the lane and passing the car in front of you. do you guys do that?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ro11dice' post='431779' date='Jun 4 2007, 08:34 PM
as far as the flashing headlights, i thought this was common practice on overtaking on two-lane roads to notify oncoming traffic that you are entering the lane and passing the car in front of you. do you guys do that?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='430899' date='Jun 1 2007, 04:52 PM
Our system here in Germany works pretty good.

You ALLWAYS have to use the farest RIGHT lane!
The lanes on the left are there for overtaking only!
No one is allowed to stay in the left lane, only for the overtaking.
Even if you are driving the allowed speed limit you don't have the right to stay in the left lane when there is room on the right.

This system works pretty good, allthough there are allways f*cksticks doing it wrong.
It works pretty well in the Netherlands as well. But then again, the system works most intuitively when there are only 2 lanes in each direction and most highways in the Netherlands have only 2 lanes in each direction...
In Belgium you'll find a lot of people are cruising on the second or third lane (counting from the right).
Old 06-06-2007, 06:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 525i 1999 Z3 2.3

Originally Posted by ro11dice' post='431779' date='Jun 4 2007, 02:34 PM
hmm, didn't know it was illegal.

I hadn't heard of that one. Not sure if it's the best idea, but it would certainly wake up oncoming traffic.

Lef-lane-bandits are only part of the problem here in Toronto. There appear to be fewer of these types lately, but they've been replaced by the middle-lane-morons. I believe they are the biggest threat to highway safety. It's not unusual to see a string of vehicles camped in the middle lane with their minds stuck on cruise control and the right-most lane completetly empty. Unfortunately even our (normally outstanding) truck drivers are beginning to fall into this dangerous habit. The middle-laners are the ones that cause other drivers to overtake on the right, leading to more chaos on the roads. These middle-laners will typically be the cause of many accidents, but of course, will not be involved in them. They'll continue in their blissful ignorance and blame everyone else....OK...enough of my rant. (...though I will say the law in Ontario states that drivers must stay to the right except when overtaking....)

I think the biggest issue is with driver training, or the lack thereof. Too little emphasis is put on rules of the road such as the above. Once licensed, there is no re-testing ever unless your license is revoked. This is likely the case everywhere, which is a shame. Perhaps it's time for mandatory re-testing to be implemented, for the benefit and safety of all of us that share the roadways. Just a thought...
Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw' post='431538' date='Jun 3 2007, 08:35 PM
In SoCal, the majority of people cruise at the speed limit on the far left lane. I just ride up on their ass and swerve in my own lane to get his attention. People STILL don't move though.
Yeah in the No Cal the is a major DWA epidemic.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

In Georgia they have made it illegal to cruise in the left lane. They have handing out tickets for speeding and/or left lane violations.

Quick Reply: Can we start a campaign