Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

CAN ANY OF MY TECH SAVVY BROS HELP ME OUT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

hello all i know for a fact that many of u guys are very tech savvy and i need a bit of help soooo....

here goes. i have several PS3's and im tired of ripping Data DVD's w my archived movies when i want to watch a movie on them.

so i bought a 1TB external portable iomega eGO HD to travel with. ive been archiving my dvd collection w mac the ripper, then taking the video_TS file and converting it on toast titanium to MP4 format. i can then take the MP4 and put it into my itunes (play fine on my iphone4) or burning them to Data DVD which play fine in my ps3, i can copy the movie into my ps3 from there and watch whenever. everything works great.

well im sick of burning dvd's and its not the best for the environment to run through as much plastic as im going to need yada yada. so i bought the external.

i formatted the HD to FAT32 which is what PS uses following the directions on theyre website and iomega's. made sure my ps3 was up to date on updates. on the HD i created 4 files GAMES, VIDEO, MUSIC, PHOTO per instructions that i found online. copied 1 MP4 (3 amigos), 1 MP3 song and 1 photo .jpg to the HD, checked and everything played/showed fine on my computer. i took it to the ps3 and it showed the files in the appropriate places. but when i went to playback the movie it wouldnt play, and the song and photo said "file corrupted" WTF? i took it back to my computer and it all played fine?

the ps3 is showing the correct info and file format when i click INFO on the items but they will NOT play???

these are the same files/file types that will play fine and copy off of a data disk to my ps3.

anyone have any possible idea why my ps3 wont recognize the files on the HD?

thx in advance
skele
Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

It's because it's MP4 format. That's not a supported format for PS3. The reason it works with the DVD is because when you burn to DVD, the computer is doing the conversion to DVD format, that's why it works.

What you want to rip is to divx or xvid. Not only will the file size be smaller, but the PS3 will play it.

You know the other option is to stream it across the wireless network right?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
It's because it's MP4 format. That's not a supported format for PS3. The reason it works with the DVD is because when you burn to DVD, the computer is doing the conversion to DVD format, that's why it works.

What you want to rip is to divx or xvid. Not only will the file size be smaller, but the PS3 will play it.

You know the other option is to stream it across the wireless network right?
thx simon i do have it streamed here at home i bought the hd for when we travel and i have a ps3 at my office.. i have some DiVX files and ill try that and report back i called PS and the guy said mp4 was a valid file type? but theyre morons down there, ill try the divx. that also doesnt explain why the mp3 and .jpg wouldnt play though :scratcheshead:
Old 03-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Humm, maybe things have changed and PS3 does support MP4. I am not positive.

The other potential issue is the format of the drive. You mentioned you did format it to Fat32, however, I just did a quick search, and apparently, not all format tools are created equal.

People have reported that using Partition Expert (versus built-in format or Partition Magic) will work.

I suppose the PS3 is more finnicky about this than Windows OS.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Humm, maybe things have changed and PS3 does support MP4. I am not positive.

The other potential issue is the format of the drive. You mentioned you did format it to Fat32, however, I just did a quick search, and apparently, not all format tools are created equal.

People have reported that using Partition Expert (versus built-in format or Partition Magic) will work.

I suppose the PS3 is more finnicky about this than Windows OS.
i think i got it figured out, i got it to play my movies but not music im gonna have to screw with it some more, thx simon