Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

British Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 700700' post='295857' date='Jun 11 2006, 03:13 PM
you and about 7 other people not watching the world cup
Well they kindly moved the race to avoid it clashing with any matches and I got home in time to see a bit of Mexico v Iran (still on now) - not by helicopter sadly

This was my first time ever at a Grand Prix. Not the most amazing race, but a wonderful experience.

Schumaker tried but he had no chance of catching Alonso - I think he just sat back in the end and hoped that Alonso would have a car problem - which he didn't.

The real race was between Raikkonen and Fisichella - who fought it out for about the last ten laps.

Apart from the noise in general one thing that really struck me was the sound of the ferraris - their engine note was just so much harsher than the other cars - like some sort of wild animal.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: –

No wonder They use performance-restricted V10 instead of V8 - some sort of special permission from FIA.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Fin535dA' post='295962' date='Jun 11 2006, 08:12 PM
No wonder They use performance-restricted V10 instead of V8 - some sort of special permission from FIA.
I read that the current rules permit the use of a V10 (performance restricted if manufacturers are dependant on that platform.

But .... I think that Shumaker at least is running a V8

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2006/motorsport..._test/0302.html

Both ferraris sounded equally nasty .............
Old 06-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Fin535dA' post='295962' date='Jun 11 2006, 10:12 PM
Are you sure Ferrari still use V10? I doubt that.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

all the teams in formula one use v8s...and i think only 2 or 3 small teams use v10s...
the v10s are 3.0 liters, and v8s are 2.4...
Old 06-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by madoon' post='296087' date='Jun 12 2006, 01:42 AM
all the teams in formula one use v8s...and i think only 2 or 3 small teams use v10s...
the v10s are 3.0 liters, and v8s are 2.4...
No matter what its still a procession its not racing I used to be a big fan but its BORING now with the pit crew's doing the passing everyone should watch motor GP for excitment
Old 06-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: –

Hey I don't know, I'm just repeating what our F1 commentator said (or at least what I heard or wanted to hear ) so I can be wrong
Old 06-12-2006, 12:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by norham' post='296166' date='Jun 12 2006, 05:38 AM
No matter what its still a procession its not racing I used to be a big fan but its BORING now with the pit crew's doing the passing everyone should watch motor GP for excitment
I was big into F1 in the early 1990's and sort of lost touch with it for a while.

Back then I had a circle of friends who also liked motorsport, which helped to stimulate my interest and there were also some interesting personalities (Mansell / Senna / Prost) and battles (How many times did mansell battle and battle to win races, but let the championship slide through his grasp!).

Norham - you are entitled to your opinion and your comments are nothing new. I think I understand why you say this - but I totally disagree.

These guys are driving incredible cars on the limit for 90 mins. The reason that it looks like a procession is that they are pretty much all at the top of their game and are squeezing everything out of the car that is physically possible - the gains and losses relative to other cars are necessarily gradual because of the laws of physics.

They aren't screaming around the bends smoking their tyres because:

1. It would make them slower.
2. The cars are so finely balanced that they would end up in the wall or dead if they tried to drift.
3. They need to take the long view and do nothing that would kill their car before the end of the race.

They aren't constantly overtaking because:

1. All the drivers and cars are at the peak of their ability.
2. The differences between the cars and drivers are VERY slight. The Renaults / McClarens and Ferraris are clearly mechanically better - but only VERY VERY slightly.

As to pit tactics winning the race - this is no different to any endurance racing in athletics or motorsports. Tactics are essential and one of the interesting things about yesterdays race is that they all seemed to be running the same game.

If you look at a race superficially you might be able to say it isn't an exiting spectacle - certainly there are not lots of crashes / drifting / expolosions / streakers etc...

You can't get away with claiming it is not 'racing'.......

I think ultimately, to dismiss F1 as a boring procession is to dismiss the abilities of some of the best drivers and engineers in the world. Before doing so I think you need to consider how you would manage if you were in the race - I think there would be a LOT of overtaking then

How would you propose to make it more interesting - make the cars faster and more dangerous so we can watch some more crashes? Or tell the drivers to make more mistakes?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

@needforspeed...every word you said is true and i support it 100%...

@norham...this is one of the most exciting seasons f1 has had in a while, if you think it is boaring you should have seen it a couple of years ago..

like needforspeed said there isnt alot of overtaking because of the speed of the cars, eveything happens so fast....and the cars are so close together...even the drivers are so close together. and all drivers are very good. even with a slow car in front and a fast car in the back a good driver in front can make it h**l for the driver in the back to overtake. they all cover their lines beautifully...
and formula 1 is not just a sport, it has lead to almost all the inventions in our cars...ABS, traction control, launch control, better brakes(ceramic breaks) and alot more..even the guys with the SMG pedals in the steering owe that to F1...
f1 last year was too fast,,,even by the end of the year drivers were complaning that the cars are too fast in the corners, and they were suffering neck pains...thats how fast f1 became...
Old 06-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='296253' date='Jun 12 2006, 11:39 AM
I was big into F1 in the early 1990's and sort of lost touch with it for a while.

Back then I had a circle of friends who also liked motorsport, which helped to stimulate my interest and there were also some interesting personalities (Mansell / Senna / Prost) and battles (How many times did mansell battle and battle to win races, but let the championship slide through his grasp!).

Norham - you are entitled to your opinion and your comments are nothing new. I think I understand why you say this - but I totally disagree.

These guys are driving incredible cars on the limit for 90 mins. The reason that it looks like a procession is that they are pretty much all at the top of their game and are squeezing everything out of the car that is physically possible - the gains and losses relative to other cars are necessarily gradual because of the laws of physics.

They aren't screaming around the bends smoking their tyres because:

1. It would make them slower.
2. The cars are so finely balanced that they would end up in the wall or dead if they tried to drift.
3. They need to take the long view and do nothing that would kill their car before the end of the race.

They aren't constantly overtaking because:

1. All the drivers and cars are at the peak of their ability.
2. The differences between the cars and drivers are VERY slight. The Renaults / McClarens and Ferraris are clearly mechanically better - but only VERY VERY slightly.

As to pit tactics winning the race - this is no different to any endurance racing in athletics or motorsports. Tactics are essential and one of the interesting things about yesterdays race is that they all seemed to be running the same game.

If you look at a race superficially you might be able to say it isn't an exiting spectacle - certainly there are not lots of crashes / drifting / expolosions / streakers etc...

You can't get away with claiming it is not 'racing'.......

I think ultimately, to dismiss F1 as a boring procession is to dismiss the abilities of some of the best drivers and engineers in the world. Before doing so I think you need to consider how you would manage if you were in the race - I think there would be a LOT of overtaking then

How would you propose to make it more interesting - make the cars faster and more dangerous so we can watch some more crashes? Or tell the drivers to make more mistakes?
My man!!!

Agree with you 100% and about the coloured remark this is so true because even at the slightest change in the race (like a lil crash from yesturday) or slight weather change or whatever the pit tactics have to change to allow the drivers to gain as much time as possible, those tenth's of a second that are so precious in a race. Make a small mistake and it could cost you a place or more. That's how performant they became. Because Heidfeld couldn't engage the 1st gear at his 1st pit that cost him a place on the grid. At the end you could see Alonso how agressive he was on the vibrators just because he needed to stay alert and focused on the last laps of the race so that he wouldn't do any mistakes.

Quick Reply: British Grand Prix