Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

BP

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

Originally Posted by v_therussian
These days its all about demagogy, my pal...

Good point. Still, I stopped using BP back when I had my first Audi with twin turbos - because I noticed that the car would sputter very gently each time I pumped BP into it. Since then its Shell, Exxon or Sunoco for any of my rides. Which is not to say that either one of those companies could have handled such a disaster better, by the way. But it is pathetic that anyone - ANYONE!!! - would be allowed to drill without a plan for such contingencies. How does this same government mandate that every restaurant have a first aid kit and display instructions for helping a choking victim, but when it comes to spilling an insane amount of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, they are allowed to slide... BULLSHIT! Everyone is to blame - us, the government we allowed to be, the shit has been going on for decades, if not centuries - yet every time we the people get fucked royally and irreversibly, somehow we find the "strength to turn the other cheek"...
+1
Old 06-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Contributors

i hate BP.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

go job that we dont get BP in HK
Old 06-08-2010, 03:47 AM
Contributors

As much as I dislike Obama and would love to blame the way he is handling this- it could have all been avoided if the bush administration had kicked BP out of the country as it had discussed. Instead, they had determined that the goverment would suffer because the government/military gets 80% of its oil/fuel from BP.

Arguably, their are faults with the current administrations handling of what is going on- there isnt much they can do. i know some of you thought Obama would put on a superman suit and plug the well with his aweseomeness, he cant. we need to assign fault where fault is due.

Obama should donate some of his horrible jeans as rags to help clean up the oil

People just want to point a finger and the president is always the scapegoat. The people who think the administration responded too slow for this crisis are the people who think the bush administration responded just fine during katrina and visa versa. 63% of Americans think the Obama administration responded too slow, but we all know the number of stupid americans is hovering somewhere around 96%.

I will remind you all: BP is a horrible company- has been for a long time. for:

- illeagaly dumping hazardous waste for years (which they were eventually caught doing)

- The 2005 Texas refinery explosion that left 15 dead and 180 injured do to mismanagement from corporate on down (investigations by OSHA revieled) and resulted in the largest fine in OSHA history

- their violation of the clean air act (which resulted in a felony conviction and 3 years probation)

- the propane price manipulation scandal, where BP paid the US government a $303 million fine, the largest commodity market settlement ever in the US

- accusations of them benefiting from a regime of terror carried out by Colombian government paramilitaries to protect a 450-mile pipeline in columbia

- being cited as the most polluting company in the US based on EPA toxic release data

- being charged with burning polluted gases at its Ohio refinery (for which it was fined $1.7 million)

- allowing 270,000 gallons of crude oil to spread into the Alaskan tundra (for which they are facing criminal charges)

- being named one of the "ten worst corporations" in both 2001 and 2005 based on its environmental and human rights records

- accusations of human rights violations for their involvement in the construction of the Baku?Tbilisi?Ceyhan pipeline.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by pinguhk
go job that we dont get BP in HK

Not BP in your area doesn't mean you don't get oil from BP. You just don't know where the oil is original purchased from/traded before getting to the gas station.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Contributors

From nola.com, kinda sums up how i/we feel.

Never mind Louisiana; BP oil executive is suffering
By Jarvis DeBerry
June 08, 2010, 7:00AM
How selfish we've been.

Oil has been gushing into the Gulf of Mexico for more than a month, and all we've been able to talk about here in South Louisiana is how it's making our lives miserable.

We've talked about fish, shrimp and oysters and how -- thanks to BP's undersea oil geyser -- we might have to grow used to life without them.

We've talked about the damage to our coast. Our marshes are our natural protection against hurricanes, and if parts of our grassy protection are killed off by oil, our vulnerability to storms increases.

We've talked about our perilous economic state. Tourism is going to suffer no matter how many assurances we give the world that people should still visit Louisiana.

Additionally, President Obama's decision to temporarily suspend deepwater oil drilling in the Gulf -- and potentially cripple one of the state's largest industries -- is yet another hardship attributable to BP and its inability to stop polluting our state.

Gerald Herbert / The Associated PressTony Hayward, CEO of BP, is pictured here at the Coast Guard command center in Venice. He says as a Brit he's able to take the public criticism he's received.Then there's our state bird. A previously endangered species, the brown pelican was on the rise. Now we see our iconic birds covered in a thick, dark goop that anchors them to the ground, and we fume at the oil giant that's responsible.

Selfishness, all of it. In the midst of our navel-gazing we haven't even considered what the ongoing tragedy is doing to BP CEO Tony Hayward.

Fortunately, though, Hayward was on a call with BP investors and analysts Friday when somebody was thoughtful enough to ask him how he's been holding up during his country's scorched-water assault on Louisiana.

The Telegraph of London said Hayward's comeback "stunned his audience."

"I'm a Brit," he said. "I can take it."

He says that now; but for a while there it seemed like Hayward was going to falter. I, at least, was worried about him. During a recent trip to Venice he gave reporters a message for people whose livelihoods have been put on hold by BP: "We're sorry for the massive disruption it's caused their lives," he said. "There's no one who wants this over more than I do. I would like my life back."

Of course, some people took that the wrong way, and Hayward was pressured to crawfish. "I made a hurtful and thoughtless comment ... when I said that 'I wanted my life back,'â??" he said Wednesday on Facebook. "When I read that recently, I was appalled. I apologize, especially to the families of the 11 men who lost their lives in this tragic accident." He also said something about how it's his priority to restore our lives, "not mine."

Don't be modest, Tony. We know our feelings are secondary to yours. Really, we can't imagine how this is making you feel. A New York Daily News headline describes you as "the most hated -- and most clueless -- man in America." A popular satirical newspaper says the amount of bull excrement "still gushing from the headquarters of oil giant BP could prove catastrophic if nothing is done to contain it." That's about you, Tony. Can you believe that? Don't know if I could take it, me.

Of course, I'm not British. I don't have the stiff upper lip needed to get me through such an ordeal. Nor do I have anything approaching the $4.6 million BP gave you last year for being the public face of the company.

Remember what you said April 15 at BP's Annual General Meeting?

You said, "Safety remains our number one priority, and I'm pleased to report we can see clear progress. There has been a significant reduction in the frequency of recordable injuries and the number of major incidents related to integrity failures has also fallen."
Five days later, the Deepwater Horizon rig blew up, 11 men died, and soon there was enough oil was spilling into the Gulf to make your life some kind of miserable.

Louisiana hasn't yet figured out how we're going to survive. But how it warms our hearts, Tony, to know that you're going to be OK.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Yes, they made an huge mistake.
But what undertaker did drill the hole?
Who was making the decisions?
Lot of questions to be answered, but BP and its undertakers will pay.

Exxon didn't pay much for the Alaska oil tragedy they made in March '89 with the
M/T Exxon Valdez. Only 1,1 billion dollars.

Yesterday an American company got their sentence in a Indian court.
Ex Union Carbide now Dow Chemicals had a problem on their plant in India.
About 15.000 people where killed and over 100 000 got serious damages in India in 1984.
The US company payed about 500 million US. Life seems cheap in India.

The Indian managers got under a two year sentences and about a 1.500 $ fine each.
The American plant CTO is not to be found...
Old 06-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by theXman
Not BP in your area doesn't mean you don't get oil from BP. You just don't know where the oil is original purchased from/traded before getting to the gas station.
I always thort that :
Shell
Esso
Caltex
Sinopec
have there own pump in the sea

these are the 4 petrol station that we have in HK

I think they have BP in China
Old 06-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by tjleeland
... and just imagine the wonderful comments that would be out there, and here, if Bush was the president. But since Mr. Hope and Change is in office, not one fricken major news network is commenting on his handling of this major cluster f**k.

Originally Posted by sixcard
Speaking of anger, I would have hoped that Obama would have looked for and expressed how the feds could help rather than act like a child and shout his anger.

His childish behavior was like spanking a one year old for falling out of his high chair.

Mr. President we expect for your help, not your damn pandering!

sixcard
And just who exactly is the "Deep Sea Oil Well Leak Stopper" expert within federal government??? Did he leave with the Bush administration??? If you know his number or email, pass it on - I'm sure both the Obama administration and BP would love to talk to that person

Seriously, this mess is going to take a lot of science and engineering to fix - and NO administration has the minds and resources in place to counter a disaster such as this. Even if they did, taking over control without a guaranteed fix action would do nothing more than get BP off the hook - I say let them squirm there as long as possible.

If Obama does nothing more than verbal posturing, it'll still beat Bush's actions after Katrina and 9-11. As a native New-Yorker, I'll never forget how Guiliani became a household name after 9-11 while Bush was still hiding out in his "secret" bunker.

Don't think for one second that BP's engineers haven't looked at every possible solution at this point because of the money they are and will continue to lose in the future over this incident. The most likely successful option is the installation of the two additional wells to bleed off pressure which won't be done until late summer. BP's engineers are going through motions hoping that they might get lucky. BP won't ever say this, but its becoming more and more obvious. Its also becoming pretty obvious that the media is being controlled too.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

BP-31863_130739543610558_119101198107726_269886_7259905_n.jpg

BP-31863_130739570277222_119101198107726_269893_7190746_n.jpg

BP-31863_130739566943889_119101198107726_269892_1463019_n.jpg