Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Bob Marley Music School

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by Ruf930' post='502465' date='Dec 4 2007, 08:46 AM
Additionally, someone mentioned they never knew about the origin of the Buffalo Soldiers song. Well, I am a black Army officer, and I will tell you, Buffalo Soldier is a theme for all black military officers (we make a very small percentage of military officers). BS were highly disciplined, intelligent and tactically proficient. And right now, how ironic is it that I am writing this email from the REAL Babylon. Iraq. The city of Babylon is about 15 miles from me right now!!!
I sincerely hope that you're not "fighting for survival."

Thanks for your service.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by Ruf930' post='502465' date='Dec 4 2007, 08:46 AM
MiamiPhil, Jah bless you, brother.

I haven't been on the site in a while and I stumbled across this thread! There are only four things on this earth I love... My family, my country, BMW?s, and BMW (Bob Marley and the Wailers).

Interestingly, I thought you would have mentioned by now that Bob's first car was a BMW 5 Series. When asked by Sir Richard Branson (Virgin owner) about it, Bob joked with him that it was destiny for him to have a BMW. Bob joked that Bavarian Motor Works really stood for Bob Marley and the Wailer (taken from Richard Branson's autobiography).

Bob Marley is a prophet. As a Black American, the black struggle and frustration (not hatred) has NEVER been verbalized so eloquently.

As a rebellious child, I stumbled onto BM early in life. While hip-hop and rap took hold of the X generation, I was quietly jamming (and plotting) while listening to Marley. Ironically, when I met by wife, a Japanese native, I learned that the Japanese love Marley just as much. Her collection was larger than mine. We were two little rebels and Marley was our first shared love.

One day about 2 years ago, as I drove to store with my 4 year old son, he asked if he could listen to the mountain music. I said mountain music? He said yes, the music we always listen to when we go to the mountains (Skiing at Aspen). I said jazz? He said no. I said the Japanese songs mommy sings? He said no. I said what music! He said... that little boy. What little boy? He said, the little boy who sings about the birds. I said BOB MARLEY!?! I said hell yes, we can listen to some Marley! Up to that point I never thought that Marley sounded like a kid!

Additionally, someone mentioned they never knew about the origin of the Buffalo Soldiers song. Well, I am a black Army officer, and I will tell you, Buffalo Soldier is a theme for all black military officers (we make a very small percentage of military officers). BS were highly disciplined, intelligent and tactically proficient. And right now, how ironic is it that I am writing this email from the REAL Babylon. Iraq. The city of Babylon is about 15 miles from me right now!!!

MiamiPhil, jam on brother! How about some Zimbabwe or Babylon System dee-jay?
'Ruf930' thanks for the big-up man, it's feedback like yours, 'Westcoast550's and all the others that make it a pleasure to do this thread. I hear you about the BMW, but I hadn't mentioned it because I didn't know he had a 5er, the cars I remember seeing him driving up & down Hope road was a white E21 coupe Bob Marley Music School-250px_fall_06_086.jpg or an old beatup green LandRover Bob Marley Music School-01_swb_ht.jpg

Now to your request, you can enjoy Babylon System here in Post #29.

"The name "Rhodesia" was derived from Cecil John Rhodes, Bob Marley Music School-180px_cecilrhodes.jpg the British empire-builder who was the most important figure in European expansion north of the Limpopo River into south-central Africa. Rhodes pushed British influence into the region by obtaining mineral rights from local chiefs under questionable circumstances. After making a vast fortune in mining in South Africa, it was his ambition to extend the British Empire north, all the way to Cairo if possible. He sent European settlers into the territory that became Southern Rhodesia, and encouraged and financed British expeditions to bring areas north of the Zambezi into the British sphere of influence."
On Oct. 24th, 1964, Northern Rhodesia gained its independence and became the Republic of Zambia, while Southern Rhodesia would have to wait until April 17, 1980 to gain lasting independence. The new country was called Zimbabwe. The events of that day (held at Rufaro stadium in Salisbury) were attended by many foreign dignitaries, including Prime Minister Indira Gandhi of India, President Shehu Shagari of Nigeria, President Kenneth Kaunda of Zambia, President Seretse Khama of Botswana, and Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser of Australia, representing the Commonwealth of Nations. The evening culminated with an independence celebration concert, the headline performer was non other that Bob Marley and the Wailers (personally invited by Prime Minister Robert Mugabe) whose song
from the 1979 Survival album Bob Marley Music School-post_14621_1194395689.jpg rocked the capacity crowd.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Africa Unite also from 1979's Survival album, is a song in which expessess his wish for pan-African solidarity and unity which was the dream of many black activist and artist (mostly outside of Africa) of the period. Some of the key figures of the movement include Edward Wilmot Blyden (labeled the Father of Pan-Africanism)
W.E.B. Du Bois, Jomo Kenyatta, Kwame Nkrumah, Haile Sellassie (Emperor of Ethiopia), Muammar al-Gaddafi, Kwame Nkrumah, Marcus Garvey (a Jamaican Pan-Africanist and stern advocate for the Back-to-Africa movement) and Malcolm X.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Contributors

1979, Jamaica is in the grips of deadly political violence, and around the world termoil abounds;
3 mile island nuclear plant melts down, Ayatollah Khomeini takes over Iran and a hostage crisis ensues, Skylab has a firey homecoming and rains debris over Austraila, Sandinista rebels enter Managua, winning the civil war in Nicaragua, USSR and USA sign the SALT II treaty 'limiting' nuclear arms but cold war remains hot after Soviets forces invade Afghanistan......etc. No wonder Bob was forced to write So Much Trouble In The World.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Many thanks Phill !! great song !
Cheers
Old 12-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='504535' date='Dec 8 2007, 07:54 PM
Many thanks Phill !! great song !
Cheers
No Problem man!...heading home now.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='503797' date='Dec 6 2007, 09:59 PM
The evening culminated with an independence celebration concert, the headline performer was non other that Bob Marley and the Wailers (personally invited by Prime Minister Robert Mugabe) whose song Zimbabwe from the 1979 Survival album Attachment 41610 rocked the capacity crowd.
The irony present in this song (and video) are disturbing, given the present state of affairs in Zimbabwe. I sincerely hope that the vision conveyed in Bob Marley's lyrics outlast the reality of Robert Mugabe's government.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='504562' date='Dec 8 2007, 09:46 PM
The irony present in this song (and video) are disturbing, given the present state of affairs in Zimbabwe. I sincerely hope that the vision conveyed in Bob Marley's lyrics outlast the reality of Robert Mugabe's government.
Amen!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Contributors

Continuing with songs from 'Survival', I have decided on One Drop, which is actually a 'play' on a unique drum & bass style of reggae "....popularized by Carlton Barrett (long-time drummer of Bob Marley and the Wailers, The Upsetters), in which the backbeat is characterized by the dominant snare drum stroke and bass drum kick both sounding on the third beat of every measure in 4/4 time, while beat one is left empty. The style is unique and solid, with a clean sound, leaving relatively large open musical space for improvisation."
Bob puts it simpler, "....just feel this drumbeat, as it beats within....". If you pay attention ("..listen carefully now..") you will hear the 1 beat throughout the song, if you can't, check out the begining of Natural mystic (before he starts singing) from Post #9 another typical 'One Drop' style song.

Phill
Old 12-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='505196' date='Dec 10 2007, 05:59 PM
Continuing with songs from 'Survival', I have decided on One Drop, which is actually a 'play' on a unique drum & bass style of reggae "....popularized by Carlton Barrett (long-time drummer of Bob Marley and the Wailers, The Upsetters), in which the backbeat is characterized by the dominant snare drum stroke and bass drum kick both sounding on the third beat of every measure in 4/4 time, while beat one is left empty. The style is unique and solid, with a clean sound, leaving relatively large open musical space for improvisation."
Bob puts it simpler, "....just feel this drumbeat, as it beats within....". If you pay attention ("..listen carefully now..") you will hear the 1 beat throughout the song, if you can't, check out the begining of Natural mystic (before he starts singing) from Post #9 another typical 'One Drop' style song.

Phill
Another favorite. Thanks again, Phill.

Quick Reply: Bob Marley Music School