Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Bob Marley Music School

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F13 M6

+1 thanks for the thread, the info, and the entertainment. i enjoy learning about these songs. i know i have the cd legend somewhere in my cd case. im gonna go find it now haha.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by sholaesq' post='494021' date='Nov 13 2007, 10:28 PM
"Brand new second hand" just to take it back a bit.
Damn 'sholaesq', you really like to stay off the beaten path don't you.

Brand new second hand is one of "...the singles that Bob Marley and the Wailers cut for Lee Perry's Upsetter label in the late '60s and early '70s are among some of the most historically significant in reggae. They mark Marley's break with the ska and rock-steady styles of the mid-'60s and the beginning of his mature reggae sound. Of course, historical significance doesn't always translate into musical enjoyment, but in this case it definitely does. The band, which had formed the core of Perry's mighty Upsetters studio group, gives up slow, churning grooves that move with a tremendous, ponderous energy, like an elephant charging. Marley, Peter Tosh, and Bunny Wailer sing harmonies that are rarely smooth and never exactly pleasant, but always somehow beautiful." from Artist Direct.com
In this version, (I think there are 2 or 3) Peter Tosh is lead singer while Bob Marley & Bunny Wailer sing background.

Something easier next time please.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='494182' date='Nov 14 2007, 10:09 AM
Damn 'sholaesq', you really like to stay off the beaten path don't you.

Brand new second hand is one of "...the singles that Bob Marley and the Wailers cut for Lee Perry's Upsetter label in the late '60s and early '70s are among some of the most historically significant in reggae. They mark Marley's break with the ska and rock-steady styles of the mid-'60s and the beginning of his mature reggae sound. Of course, historical significance doesn't always translate into musical enjoyment, but in this case it definitely does. The band, which had formed the core of Perry's mighty Upsetters studio group, gives up slow, churning grooves that move with a tremendous, ponderous energy, like an elephant charging. Marley, Peter Tosh, and Bunny Wailer sing harmonies that are rarely smooth and never exactly pleasant, but always somehow beautiful." from Artist Direct.com
In this version, (I think there are 2 or 3) Peter Tosh is lead singer while Bob Marley & Bunny Wailer sing background.

Something easier next time please.

Phill, I never knew anything about Bunny Whaler, ie this is the origin of the Whalers ??

Thanks Always !!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='494248' date='Nov 14 2007, 01:40 PM
Phill, I never knew anything about Bunny Wailer, ie this is the origin of the Wailers ??

Thanks Always !!
Bunny Wailer Bob Marley Music School-bunny_w.jpg was born Neville O'Riley Livingston in 1947 and like most Jamaicans of that time, (and today for that matter) was given the nickname 'Bunny' (likely as a small boy) and thus was known as Bunny Livingston for much of his early life, until he & some friends formed a Ska, Rocksteady group in the early 1963.
The original group, consisted of Junior Braithwaite, Beverley Kelso, Bunny Livingston, Robert Nesta Marley (Bob Marley), Winston McIntosh (Peter Tosh), and Cherry Smith.
The name of the group evolved over time, The Teenagers, The Wailing Rudeboys, The Wailing Wailers, and finally The Wailers. By 1966 only Livingston, Marley, and McIntosh remained, and at some point during this period Bunny took on the sir name 'Wailer' & from then on was known as Bunny Wailer. So the group was not named after him which is a common misconception...but rather the other way around.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

I can't believe I didn't notice this thread until now. Thanks for all of the posts. I'm a huge Marley fan.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Members

LOL!! I thought I'd throw you off with that, I'll make it easy next time. Drop that "Pimper's Paradise", selector.
Now you know I used to live in London
Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='493914' date='Nov 13 2007, 07:00 PM
40 years of listening to Bob Marley & I have never heard this version of Rock My Boat (Satisfy my Soul) which, by the sound of the arrangement, seems to pre-date this one from the 1978 Kaya album post #1. Beyond that I have no details about this song.
I have that recording on a CD titled "Bob Marley, Put It On, Volume 3." Based on the poor audio quality of most of the songs on the disk, I'd agree that it likely predates the more common recordings. However, there is no information on the CD that I can use to date the recording, so I can't be certain either.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sholaesq' post='494415' date='Nov 14 2007, 08:36 PM
LOL!! I thought I'd throw you off with that, I'll make it easy next time. Drop that "Pimper's Paradise", selector.
Now you know I used to live in London
I have been superbusy the last week....(Mrs. MP working me like a rented mule. ) & have neglected my E60 duties. So, in light of Sholaesq's request, I have decided to do some of Bob's love songs. I have done a few already, Sun is Shining Post #1 ,Stir it Up Post #19 and Satisfy My Soul Post #49
As many of you know, Bob was very lucky with the ladies & has a rather long list of progeny as proof;

Bob Marley had 13 children: three with his wife Rita, two adopted from Rita's previous relationships, and the remaining eight with separate women.[9] His children are, in order of birth:
Imani Carole, born May 22, 1963, to Cheryl Murray;
Sharon, born November 23, 1964, to Rita in previous relationship;
Cedella Marley born August 23, 1967, to Rita;
David "Ziggy", born October 17, 1968, to Rita;
Stephen, born April 20, 1972, to Rita;
Robert "Robbie", born May 16, 1972, to Pat Williams;
Rohan, born May 19, 1972, to Janet Hunt;
Karen, born 1973 to Janet Bowen;
Stephanie, born August 17, 1974; according to Cedella Booker she was the daughter of Rita and a man called Ital with whom Rita had an affair; nonetheless she was acknowledged as Bob's daughter;
Julian, born June 4, 1975, to Lucy Pounder;
Ky-Mani, born February 26, 1976, to Anita Belnavis;
Damian, born July 21, 1978, to Cindy Breakspeare;
Makeda, born May 30, 1981, to Yvette Crichton.

His relationship with his wife Rita, Bob Marley Music School-rita.jpg was rather complicated and even the historians have a hard time getting it straight so I won't even attempt it here, but suffice it to say, it was rife with infidelity, intrigue, scandal and lots of love too.

, released in 1975 on the Natty Dread album, and was likley written by him for his wife Rita, (even though writing credit is given to his friend Vincent Ford who ran a small soup kitchen in Arnet Gardens aka Trench Town) who he attempts to comfort because he is frequently absent making music. ".....while I'm gone, everythings gonna be alright..."
I don't know if any of the women above inspired Pimpers Paradise (from the 1980 Uprising album) but of all the girls Bob has loved before, (.......humm....there is a song in that ) this one, Name:  cindy.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  5.0 KB Cindy Breakspeare (Miss Jamaica & Miss World 1976) is belived to be responsible for three songs,
and Turn Your Lights Down Low from 1977's Exodus and
from 1978's Kaya.
Cindy, mother of this guy, told reggae historian & archivist Roger Steffens in their 1993 interview that she met Bob in 1971 when she was 17, but they didn't get together until around 1974/75 when she lived at 56 Hope Rd. before it became Bob's house. After the shooting 1976, a defient Bob played the 'Smile Jamaica Concert' then went to the Bahamas where he spent about 1 month, then moved to 42 Oakley Street in London where Cindy joined & lived with him for quite some time. Such was their relationship, that Rita Marley (who still lived in Jamaica with the children) refused to sing backup vocals on Turn Your lights Down Low.
Damian Marley was born on July 21st 1978.

Oh BTW, in the 'Is this love' video, Bob is seen covering two sleeping children, Bob Marley Music School-naomi_campbell.jpg
this is how the little girl looks now. Bob Marley Music School-naomi_campbell_hospital_cyst.jpg
Old 11-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Whoa !! Bob's the man !!!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Contributors

I have mentioned before on this thread that there was an assassination attempt on Bob Marley's life in early Dec. 1976. Well, if wondered if he wrote a song about it, he did. He called it
and it was released in 1979 on the Survival album. Bob Marley Music School-post_14621_1194395689.jpg

(Ooh-wee, ooh-wee, ooh-wa!)
See them fighting for power (ooh-wee, ooh-wee, ooh-wa!),
But they know not the hour (ooh-wee, ooh-wee, ooh-wa!),;
So they bribing with their guns, spare-parts and money,
Trying to belittle our
Integrity now.
They say what we know
Is just what they teach us;
And we're so ignorant
'Cause every time they can reach us (shoobe, doo-wa)
Through political strategy (shoo-be, doo-wa);
They keep us hungry (shoobe, doo-wa),
And when you gonna get some food (shoobe, doo-wa),
Your brother got to be your enemy, we-e-ell!

Ambush in the night,
All guns aiming at me;
Ambush in the night,
They opened fire on me now.
Ambush in the night,
Protected by His Majesty.
Ooh-wee, ooh-wee. Ooh-wa-ooh!
(Ooh-wee) Ooh-wee, ooh-wee (ooh-wa), Ooh-wa!
Ooh-wee, ooh-wee, ooh wa-ooh!
Ooh-wee, ooh-wee, ooh wa-ah!

Well, what we know
Is not what they tell us;
We're not ignorant, I mean it,
And they just cannot touch us;
Through the powers of the Most-I (shoobe, doo-wa),
We keep on surfacin' (shoobe, doo-wa);
Thru the powers of the Most-I (shoobe, doo-wa),
We keep on survivin'.

Yeah, this ambush in the night
Planned by society;