Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Blackberry Playbook tablet

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011 | 09:40 PM
Contributors

For those BB loyalists, I guess the BB Playbook is going to be running Android software. Interesting...

In regards to the subject of tablets, I am curious to know which product the members on this board will be going with, and why:

- iPad
- GAlaxy S Tab
- Motorola XOOM
- LG's new tablet
- HP's new tablet
- BB Playbook
- any other manufacturer that I may have forgotten
Old 02-11-2011 | 06:09 AM
Contributors

The Motorola XOOM is very nice, first tablet with Dual Core 1 Ghz CPU NVIDIA Tegra 2. So yeah, it's pretty good and has 10.1 screen (IMO, anything below 10" is not worth it).

The LG will have the almost the same processor and as well the 3.0 Honeycomb, but it's a 8.9" screen. And why on earth would you need a 3D Tablet (it's a plus, but I don't see the point of it).

Galaxy Tab (after those tablets are released) is OLD technology. It will be upgradable to 3.0Honeycomb but cmon, 7" screen!!!!

Dont ask me about Ipad, I don't like iOS.

What I can tell you though, if you have an iphone, go with iPad 2 (since we are talking about new Tabs).

I always have my laptop and phone synced (hopefully Tab soon, but I am looking forward for the Adam to be released)
Old 02-11-2011 | 08:18 AM
Contributors

Good points all the way around...it looks like Samsung will be releasing the Galaxy Tab 2 this weekend with a 10.1" screen: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/s...eycomb-for-th/

Currently have an iPad, but am interested in the XOOM...
Old 02-11-2011 | 08:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by theonlychoman
Good points all the way around...it looks like Samsung will be releasing the Galaxy Tab 2 this weekend with a 10.1" screen: http://www.engadget....neycomb-for-th/

Currently have an iPad, but am interested in the XOOM...
Yeah....Not big fan of Samsung's Aesthetics..... Though their hardware are the BEST (IMO). Been a fan of HTC since 2006 ( had around 5 HTC devices). and yet still think Samsung have better Hardware under the hood, however, bad builds and aesthetics (feels cheap).

And honestly, to be totally frank, they all kind of preform the same way for the average user (unless you're into Tweaking, hacking,etc...), they all all perform the same.

The quadrant Benchmark isn't really THAT GOOD of a benchmark. It relies on CPU running alone, then GPU running alone. Whereas real life UI experience depends on RAM,ROM, CPU,GPU, Cache,etc... all working at the SAME TIME. It's a combination of everything working as a group.
So don't really look at quadrant results.

I had builds getting 2,600quadrant performing FAR LESS than 1,800 quadrants build.

In all Cases (again, i quote IMO), Android devices are best WHEN TWEAKED and loaded with Custom BUILDS.
Old 02-11-2011 | 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

my wife has a color nook which my brother "jailbroke" to run android apps and surf the web...definitely a nice alternative....my bro like the finished product so much that he went out and bought a nook for himself

size of the nook is definitely better than an iPad and playbook IMO....
Old 02-13-2011 | 12:51 PM
Contributors

Small example : HD2 running Desire HD custom tweaked build

What I wanted to explain in the picture is how limited most devices are (Same as how a x35 engine is, With some tweaking, it can perform FAR FAR better ).
Old 03-13-2011 | 01:08 AM
Contributors

I went for a Samsung Galaxy Tab (7" version 1) because I feel the larger 10" models are too big. Loving my decision so far. Happily Steve Jobs wasn't in charge, so I got two cameras, sim slot, usb, memory card slot, android etc etc. Samsung think "how much can we cram into this thing", whereas Jobs thinks "how much can we deprive them of and still get them to buy it".
Old 03-13-2011 | 06:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Anandtech did a solid graphics performance review of the iPad2 and a comparison to the Motorola Xoom (itself a much better tablet than Samsung Galaxy Tab).

Performance-wise, the iPad2 is in a different league.

Ultimately, it's all about the apps. There are less than 200 tablet optimized apps in the Android store. The App Store has around 70,000 iPad optimized apps out of a total population of nearly 400,000.
Old 03-13-2011 | 09:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames
Anandtech did a solid graphics performance review of the iPad2 and a comparison to the Motorola Xoom (itself a much better tablet than Samsung Galaxy Tab).

Performance-wise, the iPad2 is in a different league.

Ultimately, it's all about the apps. There are less than 200 tablet optimized apps in the Android store. The App Store has around 70,000 iPad optimized apps out of a total population of nearly 400,000.
"Perhaps more interestingly for all you gamers in the audience, the iPad 2 reports that it has a dual-core PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU on the die as originally foretold -- and, spoiler alert -- it mops the floor with both the original iPad and the Motorola Xoom. Though the new chip didn't quite demonstrate 9X the graphical prowess of its predecessor, it rendered 57.6 frames per second in a GLBenchmark test where the (admittedly higher-res) Tegra 2 tablet managed only 26.7fps, and last year's iPad pulled only 17.6fps."

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/12/i...wervr-sgx543m/

I love Geeking out about hardware but as stated, it's about the Apps and how you intend to use your device.
Old 03-22-2011 | 06:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Available on April 19th.

Prices and final specs are in the press release

Quick Reply: Blackberry Playbook tablet