Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Beware of Dension

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i 6spd m/t Sport, Cold Weather, Logic 7

I hate to post this, however hopefully by chronicling my experience with Dension technical support I can save somebody else the headache.

I will attach the entire email log, not that I expect anyone to read it, but I needed to summarize it and computer memory is cheap. For the record, I warned dension that I would post this if I did not receive satisfactory support. Also for the record, I am a mechanical engineer with extensive electrical experience including coding of the e60 in which my dension was being installed ? even with my background and online research and understanding exactly what I needed from them from the first email they were unable to deliver this information in 3 weeks, at which point I have given up.

My hardware is an older model my Dad purchased for his SL500. He gave it to me recently as the car was sold before the Dension was ever installed and this hardware requires slightly different configuration to the current model, even though the functionality is identical. I was able to find this obscure information through an extensive google search ? there is no reference on their website.

In summary, I?ve sent them 17 emails to their 7 replies. I specifically asked for the configuration file for BMW, with text enabled, in 10 of my emails. Every request was ignored, the only file they ever provided was for the non text capable bmw, even though all evidence points to my BMW being text capable with the correct coding, which I told them.

I was even led on a wild goose chase being told to adjust the DIP settings. When I attempted to do this, I found the DIP was loose on the PCB. Upon opening the case to investigate, I found the DIP was not even connected to the circuit board, it was totally inoperative. This is in line with the old forum posts I was able to find on this hardware version yet Dension themselves were telling me to mess with the DIP as if it would do something!

They?ve had plenty of opportunity to get my hardware working by providing me the correct files and instructions for its use. I wonder if perhaps they no longer have the files necessary to support their older product? I also suggested other solutions such as them ?warrantying? my hardware such that I would not be hamstrung by their lack of tech support ? which they ignored. Remember, I would not receive any benefit in terms of hardware functionality, they are identical, all I wanted was to be able to make the Dension work on my own.

Not only are they completely useless via email, as far as I can tell they employ no operators for their live online tech support. I stayed up late to attempt to log on on 4 occasions. The last three times I logged on within seconds of their opening time and every time I got the same message, to paraphrase, that all operators were overloaded and to try logging on later.
That was long on it?s own. If you take the time to read the following novel, I applaud you!

Sun 1/8/2012 12:27 AM:
Hello,
I have a gateway 500 version v1r4 which I have installed in my 2004 bmw 545i. The vehicle has CDC preparation but no CDC so installation was very simple. As of now the vehicle works as before but of course I have no access to the dension. I understand I will also have to have the car coded, however I also understand the dension needs to have the correct settings entered and I have been told this is done using a a file loaded on using a USB drive. Can you please provide the appropriate file(s)? My car does not have navigation, so it is not typically text capable however if the car is coded for a bmw ipod interface (which is what I plan to do, the car does not know the difference between a dension and bmw ipod adapter) then it is text capable.
Thank you
Curtis Mullen

Tue, 10 Jan 2012 20:33:44
Hi,
Thank you for contacting Dension Technical Support; your request is recorded.
Ticket ID#: CFM-34740-524
Subject: dension gw 500
We will response in a short time. However we advice to browse Knowledge Base articles for possible solutions at http://support.dension.com/support-center/index.php where you can also track your open tickets.
Best regards,
Dension Support Team

Mon 1/16/2012 12:04 AM
Hello,
I have not heard back regarding my support request. I have also attempted to contact live support on multiple occasions however I receive the same the same message each time that all operators are busy.
I am looking for the configuration files for a v1r4 version gateway 500. I am installing it in a 2004 BMW 545i. The vehicle is not factory text capable, however with by coding the factory bmw ipod adapter in which is what I plan to do it is shown they do support text.
Also, if there are any new firmwares to install I would appreciate those too.
Finally, is the v1r4 compatible with the bta1500 or should I expect further difficulties by using older hardware?
Thank you
Curtis Mullen

Mon 1/16/2012 12:23 AM
Dear Customer,
Sorry for the late reply.
First of all please test the Gateway with calibrtationg the DIP switches.
(In you case the Gateway has only 4 DIP agains the newer models which has 6 switches.) Please turn the 2nd Switch to ON and all other let OFF.
Please repoert me back.
Best Regards
Dension Support Team

Mon 1/16/2012 12:24 AM
Dear Customer,
After you set the DIP to 2 ON all others to OFF please follow the steps below and send us the requested GW_EES.BIN file to us. This file will help us to identify your current Gateway version and check the current settings.
1. Connect a memory stick with some mp3 ( 4pcs should be enough) content 2. The memory stick should start flashing 3. when the flashing stopped please turn your Audio System off and wait about 3-4 minutes 4. Please turn your system on again and wait till flashing stops again on your memory stick 5. Disconnect it and check the content. Hopefully on the root you will find the required GW_EES.bin file
You will be able to generate this file without having an access to the Gateway functions.
Kind regards,
Dension Support Team

Mon 1/16/2012 5:50 AM
Hello,
I followed the instructions and produced the attached bin file. Note, there was no flashing on the USB drive. The drive is currently FAT formatted, and flashes during data transfer while attached to my computer.
Thank you,
Curtis

Tue 1/17/2012 9:48 AM
Hello,
I am anxiously awaiting support for my product. Is it possible to provide me with configuration files and the latest firmware based on the file I sent?
Thank you,
Curtis Mullen

Tue 1/17/2012 10:17 AM
Dear Customer,
Thanks for the system file and sorry for the late reply.
Your gateway currently is in AUDI mode, not in BMW mode.
Could you please double check the DIP switches of the Gateway?
For your car you have to select the 2 ON all others are OFF settings.
Also the Gateway has a very old software.
You could download the latest software from here:
http://www.dension.com/sites/default...gw5most222.zip
Best Regards
Dension Support Team

Tue 1/17/2012 6:39 PM
Hello,
I am certain the dip switches were all off, except #2 on.
I updated the firmware and recieved a BIN file including the text G5MB2.22, which I presume means the update was successful.
Next I completed the procedure suggested to me initially to recover a BIN file with the settings of the unit. This time, the USB flashed as I was told it would. I have attached the BIN files that were produced.
Can you please confirm whether or not my unit is now correctly set up? I am still unable to code my car for ipod retrofit, so I assume the car is not recognizing the dension for some reason.
I was under the impression the DIP switched on the v1r4 were not meant to be used (hence the sticker over it) and that the unit had to be configured using a usb file, is that incorrect?
Also, do you have an installation guide still available for this model hardware for my reference?
Thank you
Curtis Mullen

Thu 1/19/2012 9:39 AM
Hi Guys,
I am really hoping for a reply asap so I can start using my new hardware.
Thank you,
Curtis Mullen

Thu 1/19/2012 9:53 AM
Dear Customer,
Thanks for the feedback.
The update was successful, but the car config still in AUDI.
Therefore I send you a config file.
Also please note the iPod retrofit needs to be code by a BMW service. The gateway can not do this.
But its possible only if you have the profession navigation system with the 8.8" screen.
Otherwise you could use the gateway only in non text mode.
The attached config file its for this non text mode.
If your system eligible and also the BMW service already done the iPod retrofit (KMP3) enabling please let me know and I'll send you the properly text config as well.
Best Regards
Dension Support Team

Thu 1/19/2012 9:55 AM
I forgot to mention please do the same process with this config file as with the update file.
Also please send me the system file (GW-ees.bin) again after the re-calibration so I could check this for sure.
Best Regards
Dension Support Team

Thu 1/19/2012 10:07 AM
Thank you for the help. I will try this tonight. Can you please also send me the text capable file. I am told by several forum members with the business mask (6.8" screen) that by coding the bmw ipod retrofit (versus mp3 and cdc) the early build cars are able to display text. I have the equipment to code this tonight.
Thank you
Curtis

Thu 1/19/2012 10:51 PM
I have loaded the config file. The .bin file is attached.
Can you please:
1. Tell me whether the gateway is now correctly configured for BMW non-text
2. Confirm that the dip switch should remain as 2 up, others down.
3. Send me the file for the text capable bmw configuration, so that I can test what other forum members claim
Thank you,
Curtis Mullen

Fri 1/20/2012 8:56 AM
Dear Customer,
Thanks for the file. Unfortunately the Gateway still in AUDI mode.
Could you please describe the steps what you tried for re-configuration and also the experiences.
Whats the state of the Blue led on the AUX box of Gateway?
Best Regards
Dension Support Team

Fri 1/20/2012 9:30 AM
Hello,
I did not have the aux box connected, nor the ipod adapater.
I followed the same procedure with the config file as with the new firmware. Loaded onto a blank USB then plugged it into the gateway with the gateway powered. When the drive stopped flashing, I switched off the car, disconnected the drive, and let the car sleep. There was no bin file (the cfg file was gone however) on the drive so I plugged the usb back in, switched on the car, and removed the drive when it stopped flashing with the file I attached.
I presume I need to plug in the usb drive with the gateway not powered, then turn on the gateway?
Can you please send the text configuration file? My car is coded for the factory bmw ipod adapter, which allow me to use the text capabilities of the Dension per: https://5series.net/forums/topic/715...500-installed/
Thank you
Curtis Mullen

Fri 1/20/2012 12:47 PM
I've tried to install the config file again. This time I had the unit not powered, plugged in the drive, and then powered on the unit. The file is attached. As far as I can tell there is no difference to the earlier audi bin file.
There is no blue led on my aux box.
Help please!

Mon 1/23/2012 10:39 AM
Hello,
I've not heard a reply from my last couple queries.
Please send me the text-enabled config file for BMW, and clarify the update procedure for these files. Note there is no blue led on my aux box.
Thank you
Curtis Mullen

Tue 1/24/2012 9:58 AM
Hello,
Just a reminder i am still awaiting a response to my latest queries.
Thank you
Curtis Mullen
Sent from my iPhone

Wed 1/25/2012 10:13 AM
Hello,
One more reminder. I've not heard a reply from my last several queries. This is unacceptable for a high end product such as this.
Please send me the text-enabled config file for BMW, and clarify the update procedure for this file. Note there is no blue led on my aux box.
Thank you
Curtis Mullen

Fri 1/27/2012 8:38 AM
Hello,
I have sent multiple requests and reminders with no reply for an entire week. Please send the configuration file for a BMW, text enabled, and clarification on the installation procedure for this file. Or, may I suggest a complimentary hardware upgrade such that I am not hamstrung by a complete lack of technical support.
Thank you
Curtis Mullen

Fri 1/27/2012 10:05 AM
Dear Customer,
First of all sorry for the late reply.
Last time you wrote that you tried the calibration with a new way ("This time I had the unit not powered, plugged in the drive, and then powered on the unit. The file is attached") But there was not attachment in the e-mail.
Also could you please let me know if this Gateway was worked before with any other system?
This is one of the first version of the Gateway 500 so it could be approx 4-5 years old.
If you purchased it from second hand, did you got any info from the seller?
Best Regards
Dension Support Team

Fri 1/27/2012 10:08 AM
My apologies. Here is the file that was generated.
I think it would be best if you can clarify the correct procedure, and send me the text enabled file so I can experiment with both.
The Dension was bought about 5 years ago for my Dad's SL500, which was sold before we ever installed it. Now it is going into my BMW.
I also noticed that the DIP switch was moving when I attempted to flip switches. I investigated and found that the dip switch is actually not connected internally. Should this be the case?
I hate to be such a thorn in your side but of course this is really frustrating for me.
Thanks
Curtis

Mon 1/30/2012 10:23 AM
Hi,
Another reminder, I'm looking for the BMW text config file and instructions on how to use it.
Also, any confirmation on whether the dip is intended to be internally disabled or not?
Thank you
Curtis Mullen

Wed 2/1/2012 11:41 AM
Hello,
Please put yourself in my shoes. I have spent many hours over the last 3 weeks troubleshooting this device and corresponding with tech support attempting to get my device working. Tech support does not answer the majority of my emails and appears to have stopped communicating with me. There has been no transparency on the side of Dension, my questions go unanswered and specific requisitions I have made are ignored.This is my final attempt to get satisfactory support: the BMW text enabled config file for a v1r4 dension gw500, exact directions on the installation of this file, and confirmation from Dension the device is correctly configured once I install the file.
If this does not happen this week, I will be forced to post my experiences including a full email log of this interaction on the 6 forums I am currently active on.
Thank you
Curtis Mullen
Attached Thumbnails Beware of Dension-photo-16-.jpg  
Old 02-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

cliffnotes?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i 6spd m/t Sport, Cold Weather, Logic 7

Update:

Dension sent me the required files, I had it coded and working in 3 minutes. Very frustrating however I am happy to have it working.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Glad everything ended well with a working device. It was a struggle but Dension came through finally.