Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Anyone know the name of this airport?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Anyone know the name of the now defunct international airport in Japan where planes on final approach used to fly over the town and make a sharp right hand turn near the end of the glide slope just before touchdown to miss the mountains. They built a new airport in the sea on a man-made island to replace it!

Thanks
Old 11-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just know the new one is Kansai. The old is is "I don't know".
The Kansai is sinking every day. No good. When I watch the documentary about this airport on The Learning Channel, I said wow. But when I went there, it's just a slam dunk. HVAC does not work as good as US airport - too hot. AC is too weak. I thought it was great, but what a disappointment.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='198654' date='Nov 15 2005, 10:35 PM
Anyone know the name of the now defunct international airport in Japan where planes on final approach used to fly over the town and make a sharp right hand turn near the end of the glide slope just before touchdown to miss the mountains. They built a new airport in the sea on a man-made island to replace it!

Thanks
Japan???

Don't you mean Hongkong?
Old 11-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='198707

Thanks
Japan???

Don't you mean Hongkong?
[/quote]

Thats what I thought as well.

The old airport was called Kai Tak.
(Picture below). Much hairiness on approach.

Anyone know the name of this airport?-hongkong_airport__6_.jpg

The new airport is Chek Lap Kok and is on reclaimed land off Lantau island.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

That's the infamous checker hill approach for the old Kai Tak airport, I was thinking about it when you say the plane goes through the city makes a sharp right turn for the approach but when you say Japan you threw me off a bit.

Kansai is build on an island that is sinking but is not at all difficult compare with Kai Tak, you can ask any older pilots who have the chance of flying to Hong Kong they will tell you Kai Tak is one of the most chanllenging airport to land.

Now Chek Lap Kok is very easy to land so no need to say anything about it.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='198824' date='Nov 15 2005, 10:34 PM
...you can ask any older pilots who have the chance of flying to Hong Kong they will tell you Kai Tak is one of the most chanllenging airport to land.
I can say first hand that it's pretty challenging as a passenger to land at Kai Tak as well...
Old 11-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I miss the old airport, now there's no plane spotting in the city.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Fantastic - thanks guys. Yes of course its Hong Kong mind went blank. My wife just hit me over the head and said "told you" it was HK.

Thanks again!

E60.net is better than Google for info
Old 11-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='198824' date='Nov 16 2005, 03:34 AM
That's the infamous checker hill approach for the old Kai Tak airport,
Even more craziness..yikes.....

I wonder how much of a common occurance these types of landings were? Were u witness to anything hairy?

And not only the damage to hardware, but also to the psychology of both the pilots and passangers during those types of landings.

Anyone know the name of this airport?-hongkong_airport__3_.jpg

Anyone know the name of this airport?-hongkong_airport__4_.jpg
Old 11-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Reminds me of this place:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=14731

Quick Reply: Anyone know the name of this airport?