Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Any business owners/entrepreneurs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by pipper' post='931789' date='Jul 3 2009, 02:05 PM
any person that says that is a pretty miserable f*ck that thinks very highly of themselves....and not someone youd want to be around. ive known many "successful" people (worth 7, 8, even 9 figures) and all have said luck plays a big role.
So this makes you the lucky f*ck then? How lucky - that's what I'm curious about

Not sure if you're just a d!ck or you think you have a reason to be a d!ck to me, but I don't remember calling you any names, OR implying that you're not pleasant to be around, so are you getting personal with me?!?!

Pertaining to original sunject matter. If you think luck has anything to do with becoming wealthy, just don't do anything and play the lotto - see where that takes ya. There's no such thing as luck - YOU make your own luck. Like you say something stupid to someone and later some "bad luck" happens to you oh wait, that's karma hahahahahahaha
Old 07-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='933805' date='Jul 6 2009, 10:47 AM
So this makes you the lucky f*ck then? How lucky - that's what I'm curious about

Not sure if you're just a d!ck or you think you have a reason to be a d!ck to me, but I don't remember calling you any names, OR implying that you're not pleasant to be around, so are you getting personal with me?!?!

Pertaining to original sunject matter. If you think luck has anything to do with becoming wealthy, just don't do anything and play the lotto - see where that takes ya. There's no such thing as luck - YOU make your own luck. Like you say something stupid to someone and later some "bad luck" happens to you oh wait, that's karma hahahahahahaha
I agree with you on that. One has to work very hard in a business and fight it through the tough times. The break will come if they work at it. Nothing like a good hard days work at ones business to see it succeed.

Its like planting a fruit tree. It doesn't just appear fully grown but takes time and effort. However once the hard work has been done, then when it fruits, the benefits are there. With little care at that stage, the tree will continue to bear its fruit.

30 years ago I met a family friend who went into business. He was the first person that introduced me to a BMW 7series with BBS wheels that cost a bomb. (at the time). I was well impressed. Business was fine but initially it was like a sine wave. At one time things looked really bad. He had to sell his cars and used a small little japanese car but yet he strived to succeed. Diversified a lot and put even more hours at work.

Then things picked up and due to his effort, the core business picked up due to government expansion. Some call it luck but I say it was the business STILL being there. If he had packed it up, then when the oppurtunity came along, he could not capitalise at it.

When the day came, he struck gold so to say. Today he lives in a huge mansion on a hill. Drives a F430. Wife in a porsche. Son in the latest BMW. Company car a merc 500 and a few other cars for running about. Thats not luck but a believe in ones self and hard work.

cheers
Old 07-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='933958' date='Jul 6 2009, 11:01 AM
I agree with you on that. One has to work very hard in a business and fight it through the tough times. The break will come if they work at it. Nothing like a good hard days work at ones business to see it succeed.

Its like planting a fruit tree. It doesn't just appear fully grown but takes time and effort. However once the hard work has been done, then when it fruits, the benefits are there. With little care at that stage, the tree will continue to bear its fruit.

30 years ago I met a family friend who went into business. He was the first person that introduced me to a BMW 7series with BBS wheels that cost a bomb. (at the time). I was well impressed. Business was fine but initially it was like a sine wave. At one time things looked really bad. He had to sell his cars and used a small little japanese car but yet he strived to succeed. Diversified a lot and put even more hours at work.

Then things picked up and due to his effort, the core business picked up due to government expansion. Some call it luck but I say it was the business STILL being there. If he had packed it up, then when the oppurtunity came along, he could not capitalise at it.

When the day came, he struck gold so to say. Today he lives in a huge mansion on a hill. Drives a F430. Wife in a porsche. Son in the latest BMW. Company car a merc 500 and a few other cars for running about. Thats not luck but a believe in ones self and hard work.

cheers
Finally, someone who knows a little bit about business!

I wanna see that miserable POS pipper schlepping his way through a presentation of a business plan that is based on luck!
Old 07-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='933972' date='Jul 6 2009, 08:14 AM

I wanna see that miserable POS pipper schlepping his way through a presentation of a business plan that is based on luck!
"well, you see, first we put the quarter in the slot machine......then we run quickly to the tables and roll the dice......"
Old 07-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='933972' date='Jul 6 2009, 04:14 PM

Thank you.

I have seen to many people who have success in life that have worked hard to begin with.The hours per day are never 9-5. The lucky ones are those born into wealth. They don't have to work for the money and in some cases, run it all to nought when they try it.

I respect those who have created wealth from nothing but their vision and hard work.

cheers
Old 07-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='934005' date='Jul 6 2009, 11:51 AM
"well, you see, first we put the quarter in the slot machine......then we run quickly to the tables and roll the dice......"
Are we talking luck or gambling now? I have a couple of friends who are professional gamblers and you can think you're seriously out of luck at the same poker table with them, but the truth is, you are being owned. PRO-FESSIONALLY
Old 07-06-2009, 10:51 AM
das
Site Founders

My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Guys, let's keep it friendly here. I think it's safe to say that luck AND work both play a role in success, to varying degrees depending on each individual situation!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='934051' date='Jul 6 2009, 09:30 AM
Are we talking luck or gambling now? I have a couple of friends who are professional gamblers and you can think you're seriously out of luck at the same poker table with them, but the truth is, you are being owned. PRO-FESSIONALLY

Calm down Vlad, I was agreeing with you - that was just an attempt at humor. Being a successful business owner takes a lot of skill, not luck, as evidenced by the number of FAILED small businesses each year. Not all those had "bad luck"
Old 07-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='934209' date='Jul 6 2009, 03:05 PM
Calm down Vlad, I was agreeing with you - that was just an attempt at humor. Being a successful business owner takes a lot of skill, not luck, as evidenced by the number of FAILED small businesses each year. Not all those had "bad luck"
did not realize that my comment warranted a "calm down, vlad" jeesh aren't businessmen supposed to have some thick skin?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

To get back on topic ()
I've owned a business for over 4 years now (since i was 19) and things are going really well.
We started off with mobile SMS services (info/download services) and 2 years later we started with our narrowcasting branch.
And now we have over 1500 commercial screens all over Holland.

I liked computers, i was good at programming and i found a good partner.
I dropped out of college and started with only a couple hundred bucks and some gut.
And now i drive a BMW, own a house, etc... So i can't say that was a bad choice on my part

BTW, i agree that i takes a bit of luck, you can have a great product or a great sales talk, people still need to buy your product.