Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Any business owners/entrepreneurs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package Limo Tinted, Heads up display, Fully Loaded Minus Cold Weather Package and Rear window Sunshades.

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='929314' date='Jul 1 2009, 12:22 AM
+1, though i was starting my business while in college. after i graduated i went the corporate route, then decided to go full time with my business and have never looked back.

things are going well, and i'm just entering escrow on my first house. i couldn't agree more that the time i save with my websites making me money, allows me the opportunity to look for more ways to make even more money.

Do you stock your products? I am interested in the Al3500.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2003 BMW 540i(E39) 2007 BMW 335i(E92) 2008 BMW X5 xDrive30i

I have been self-employed for over 15 years. It feels really great. Business here in Hong Kong is actually doing a bit better than in other places .
Old 07-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Contributors

starting on yr own always need alot of guts here, as comfort starts to wear off..
owning a business is 70% luck on yr side, and 30% passion about what you want to do.

some business can continue to bloom even on downturn, but some good structured business will still fail when luck isnt on his side.

an example of how an H1N1 can suddenly "attack" a restuarant or famous wine bar, forcing it shut for 1~2 weeks, loosing 1/2 mth of business,
and yet has to continue pay rent. If multiply this effect, lets say the bar was forced to continue shut for another month due to local government enforcement,
what else can you do? sit and pray it will go away...
Old 07-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by nipetronic' post='931345' date='Jul 3 2009, 12:19 AM
starting on yr own always need alot of guts here, as comfort starts to wear off..
owning a business is 70% luck on yr side, and 30% passion about what you want to do.

some business can continue to bloom even on downturn, but some good structured business will still fail when luck isnt on his side.

an example of how an H1N1 can suddenly "attack" a restuarant or famous wine bar, forcing it shut for 1~2 weeks, loosing 1/2 mth of business,
and yet has to continue pay rent. If multiply this effect, lets say the bar was forced to continue shut for another month due to local government enforcement,
what else can you do? sit and pray it will go away...
IMO luck has very little to nothing to do with success. If you're gonna own a business for the most of your life, how severe an impact would 2-4 weeks make? Worse case - you take an extended unpaid vacation. And someone like me - I'd be looking into switching the locations even before the Gov't enforcement shut me down, looking for way to "meet" the Gov't enforcement personally to "assure them of my complete desire to cooperate", perhaps looking into other things - like litigation... to me, running a business is all about making any situation work in my favor - better yet, for my profit in one way or another.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='931373' date='Jul 3 2009, 12:55 AM
IMO luck has very little to nothing to do with success.
any person that says that is a pretty miserable f*ck that thinks very highly of themselves....and not someone youd want to be around. ive known many "successful" people (worth 7, 8, even 9 figures) and all have said luck plays a big role.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stealthology' post='927883' date='Jun 29 2009, 08:38 PM
Just curious to see how many self employed folks we have here, and what you do. Without the business, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to own this beauty of a car.

I struck a goldmine years back with an internet retail site which has taken off very nicely these past couple of years. I love not having a real job.
Took time to visit your estore ... glad to hear things are going well for you. I'm curious about your thoughts on this .... as we see more on-line and digital content how will print media will face off. When do you think will it be a decision point where on-line premium content pushes revenue directly to the source.

Will the word "in print" survive?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by pipper' post='931789' date='Jul 3 2009, 11:05 AM
any person that says that is a pretty miserable f*ck that thinks very highly of themselves....and not someone youd want to be around. ive known many "successful" people (worth 7, 8, even 9 figures) and all have said luck plays a big role.
idk if its luck or timing but i agree its important! i would think timing/location would be the most important, i have a record label(well established 15 yrs) and for me it was about timing, all the finance in the world wouldnt help a new label in my field get the same kind of loyalty i recieve from my fans/bands (many have tried and died before my eyes). all this from being in the right place @ the right time
100 percent
Old 07-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package Limo Tinted, Heads up display, Fully Loaded Minus Cold Weather Package and Rear window Sunshades.

I do have to agree, luck plays a huge role for massive success such as those making 7,8,9 figures. Imagine the investments they would have to take in order to build a business such as those that pay those kind of figures. One thing I have learned it takes money to make money. With big investments some have put everything on the line... So with a chance of failure I do say their success was a bit of luck. (good timing) As for the small time businesses that pull in 6 figures, Then not so much.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Members

A guy once told me 30 years ago and who started his own business when he was 14. You will never become rich working for someone else. OK things have moved on a bit since then and you can become rich working for someone else. There is a lot more chance though if you work for yourself.
If any of you guys out there know that you are very good at what you do or could do it better than who you work for then get off your butt and do it for yourself.

A few things, rich is not all about money, you will be happier in your life and you are in total control. And you might even have more money! now thats rich.

You take your holidays when you want, you take days off when you want. You control the planning, the pricing, the profit...........Yes there are dips, the buck stops with the boss. The worry and problems stop with the boss. Its still worth it by a mile.

And you have to be lucky! The good news is you make all the luck all by yourself. yep, you make your own luck. And there aint no shortcuts to making your luck. You get out what you put in and you might think that your putting a lot in and getting no luck back then it comes in abundance. If you put it in you always get it back.

If any of you are thinking about starting up on your own, wives are sometimes negative and Mum and Dad might be from the old school and like you in a safe job. Listen to what they have to say then ignore them and give it a go!

IF YOU DONT TRY IT THEN YOU WILL REGRET IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

GOOD LUCK
Old 07-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='931860' date='Jul 4 2009, 03:52 AM
idk if its luck or timing but i agree its important! i would think timing/location would be the most important, i have a record label(well established 15 yrs) and for me it was about timing, all the finance in the world wouldnt help a new label in my field get the same kind of loyalty i recieve from my fans/bands (many have tried and died before my eyes). all this from being in the right place @ the right time
100 percent
agreed; right place at right time, plus a little luck too.
I m small time business guy, so I say luck is needed for me. If you start off BIG time, then u can say no need those luck, say only after you had succeeded.
but internet has really change the business model of yesterday.

Quick Reply: Any business owners/entrepreneurs?