Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Another sign of our times...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by swajames' post='954940
+1, Kia Motors is a very late starter in the automobile industry race so what do you expect?

Also why do you guys always talk trash about other car mfg? You guys call yourself a car enthusiasts.. well a true car enthusiasts appreciates all make and model of cars.
Not just your own..

So just say "NO!" to BMW Fanboism..
Aha, yep, right, aaaand... how many Kias do you own?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='954974
wow, i can smell your elitism through my laptop screen and it smells like pad thai
Who got pad thai?! I want some!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='955325' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:57 AM
Not sure how you tie the Pinto into this one, but thanks for the support, pal
haha. it was the worst example i could think of. ENGINEERING NOBODY COULD APPRECIATE (not even Kzang )

there are other examples, like the pontiac fiero, the corvair...
Old 07-27-2009, 01:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='955096' date='Jul 26 2009, 11:57 PM
This is a forum dedicated to BMW enthusiasts. What do you expect?

BTW: Who put you in charge of determining who is a "true" enthusiast and who isn't? I've been a car enthusiast for pretty much my whole life and I've never met anyone who truly appreciates all makes and models of cars. In fact, most enthusiasts I know developed a passion for a particular marque or model and from that point progressively became more dedicated.
I think a lot of people must have misunderstood that what I was trying to say with my post was that BMW is better than any other make in the world. And while I personally may, or may not, consider that to be true, I was not saying that in this thread.

My actual point was more like:

I hate people that take my ideas and pass them as their own because they are used to taking a shortcut through thinking. If you write a paper for someone in school for 200 bucks, you've at least got money for your idea (200 is probably not enough, if your ideas are any good, but its a supply-demand situation). Here we have a manufacturer that basically prides himself on derivative design and engineering, all while bragging about throwing all of that in for no extra charge. How can you realistically throw in a whole lot of technologies at no extra charge if you don't know how to make those technologies work yourself?! Does anyone know how derivative technologies and designs are arrived at? The manufacturer of the derivative product would go out and buy the original product, posing as a regular normal customer, and take it apart and duplicate it. At which point they may or may not apply for their own patent on this "invention", based on some type of little detail that they allegedly "improved". All the while, companies like BMW end up having to cut corners as a result of not being paid for their ideas, and maybe even losing business to the newcomers (though I doubt any BMW buyers switch to Kia). And then we wonder "why does a door handle on a 2010 535i come off on the first day?!" or "how come my HPFP is fvcked up?!" - it is ALL because some asshole some long ass time ago allowed this sh!t to continue and today we have a world where derivative design is not only ok, but it is something to actually be proud of.

Its fvcking stupid and some people look at this commercial and think there's nothing wrong with it. There is! And generations growing up on this kind of moral treason will never think that there's anything wrong with Bernanke trying to do everything he can to get on the TV screens - now that he's done giving away "loans" to the big companies that fvkced up and should've failed - to make himself look good, so that Obama may actually re-appoint him for another term in about half a year. And then, if he is re-appointed, another trillion dollars gets pretty much stolen right in front of the public's eye, but we'll be too busy figuring out which one of the thieving inept fvcks makes the best medley of stolen technologies at that point... fvck this! Think for yourself and don't let anyone take your ideas - that's all I'm saying!

PS Craig, say what you want, Fiero was tha sheeeeeeznit in it's day tho!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The only thing this commercial is trying to do is to find a different way to say "look at all the stuff you get with this $14,000 car". How that can be interpreted in any other way, or incite so much ire, is beyond me.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by swajames' post='954940' date='Jul 26 2009, 08:33 PM
You might want to take a look at who is behind much of the technology in the E60... It's not BMW who invented Active Steering or Active Roll Stabilization, for example.

The point of the commercial is reasonably obvious, and for their target market (hint - it's probably not many of us here) it's probably reasonably effective.
I can see their point. Even BMW was not the first to invent the engine. There is also a flip side to being the first. What was the first recorder ever invented? That was the Betamax, but then VHS took over and kicked butt.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='955410' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:22 AM
The only thing this commercial is trying to do is to find a different way to say "look at all the stuff you get with this $14,000 car". How that can be interpreted in any other way, or incite so much ire, is beyond me.
+1