Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Always get the detailed history!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at two E90's for sale that were local to me. One was a previous CPO with warranty until 100k and the other had no warranty and was located at a small dealers lot. The CPO car had a carfax that looked clean and the the other one had no carfax.

I called my SA at a BMW dealership and he ran the history report for both cars. The car with the warranty until 100k had so many things replaced and it only had 30k miles on it.

-All 4 tires were replaced every 4k miles
-Central Locking System Failure
-Transmission Fluid Leaking
-Electronics Failure
-Sunroof Issues
-Faulty Radio
-Cup Holders
-Steering Wheel Failure
-Battery and Alternator
-Starter

The other car had normal wear and tear items replaced. I am shocked at the other car how can a car like that get CPO'd?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

This sounds like all of our bmws lol! These small items all seem to fail on bmws!
Old 04-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Sounds normal to me too. The CPO'd one is still the better bet, because of the warranty and the fact that these things were, in fact, replaced. The other car, without warranty, would be a money pit if the same things go wrong with it. When in doubt get CPO every time, your bank account will thank you.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Thats not normal my 08 E60 has had no problems like that. Even my SA strongly advised against the CPO.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Thats not normal my 08 E60 has had no problems like that. Even my SA strongly advised against the CPO.

Then your SA is a moron, I can;t imagine driving these cars without any warranty protection. If that car isn;t right for you keep looking for a different CPO car, DO NOT buy one without a warranty. Remember those rinky-dink dealers buy the cars at auction because they are cars the real dealers don;t want back.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Then your SA is a moron, I can;t imagine driving these cars without any warranty protection. If that car isn;t right for you keep looking for a different CPO car, DO NOT buy one without a warranty. Remember those rinky-dink dealers buy the cars at auction because they are cars the real dealers don;t want back.
Good point. Will a 07 have warranty if it has 32k miles? The rinky-dink dealer never mentioned anything about warranty I just guessed.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Good point there. Will a 07 have warranty if it has 32k miles? The rinky-dink dealer never mentioned anything about warranty I just guessed.

It would still have maintenance warranty until 50k miles, and the bumper to bumper for 36k miles, but that's it. And both of those are coming up real soon on that car. Those rinky-dink dealers rarely have the intelligence to know the standard warranties on the cars. I went through the same thing before I bought mine, went to a somewhat shady dealer to look at a car and he had no idea if it had warranty (of course in that case the car had iDrive warnings up the yinyang)
Old 04-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Contributors

The third car was a Honda ... and the dealer service record: Oil change | Oil change | Oil change | Oil change

That's why real men don't drive Hondas!
Old 04-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

My advice: find another CPO car that is not a lemon. I would not touch the CPO car you are looking at with its crappy service history. But I also would not touch a used BMW without a CPO on it.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

ye, wtf, just find another CPO and you're

Quick Reply: Always get the detailed history!