Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Al Megrahi Release (1988 bombing of Pan Am 103)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='988362' date='Aug 25 2009, 02:34 PM
Our Justice Minister is in the Scottish Nationalist Party, which has the key aim of complete separation from England, so you can forget all the conspiracy theories involving the Queen and the UK Prime Minister.

There has been some suggestion that because Megrahi showed no compassion for the victims, we shouldn't show compassion for him as he nears death. In my view, and indeed in the eyes of many others, this would be stooping to the standards of the terrorists - they would effectively be influencing our moral standards. That shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Whether you agree with him or not, the Scottish Justice Minister has shown considerable character in taking a decision that he believed in. He knew that it would be unpopular with a lot of people (though does have considerable support too). In the end, he decided not to drop his standards for this terrorist but to operate according to his own moral compass. That makes him a bigger man.

The issue of whether Megrahi is truly guilty or innocent is not directly relevant here. The decision was taken on the basis of him being found guilty in a Scottish Court.
Nice to hear from a fellow Scot.

One of the main aims of the party is to make Scotland an independent again this is true, they seem to be the only party that genuinely cares or listens to the people of Scotland. They are also the only party that doesnt take their orders from bosses in Westminster.

Regarding conspiracies I am not convinced that this whole affair didnt have some behind the scenes involvment of the UK Government, too many coincedencies with trade agreements for my liking.

If we allow terrorists to influence who we are then they have won, we cant ever allow this to happen we are all better than that. Scotland is by no means tolerant of terrorists, you only have to look at the Glasgow Airport incident to know this.

The issue of guilty or not guilty may never be answered, however, I am not pleased that some evidence may have been deliberately withheld from the trial. We already know about the break in at Heathrow's baggage terminal being kept hush hush for 12 years, what else has been stamped as Top Secret that we dont know about. Why are we sending our troops to far away lands to put their lives on the line to bring other countries democracy if we treat our own citizens with contempt, I think the victims families at least deserve to know the truth.

I think it is good to have a discussion, we may not agree 100% of the time but at least we can do so without everyone falling out.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='986683' date='Aug 23 2009, 10:50 PM
They should have pushed him out of the plane on the way home. A$$hole.

I agree with Cal.

KIllers should be executed in the manner that they killed.

sixcard
Old 08-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='989322' date='Aug 26 2009, 01:32 PM
Nice to hear from a fellow Scot.

One of the main aims of the party is to make Scotland an independent again this is true, they seem to be the only party that genuinely cares or listens to the people of Scotland. They are also the only party that doesnt take their orders from bosses in Westminster.

Regarding conspiracies I am not convinced that this whole affair didnt have some behind the scenes involvment of the UK Government, too many coincedencies with trade agreements for my liking.

If we allow terrorists to influence who we are then they have won, we cant ever allow this to happen we are all better than that. Scotland is by no means tolerant of terrorists, you only have to look at the Glasgow Airport incident to know this.

The issue of guilty or not guilty may never be answered, however, I am not pleased that some evidence may have been deliberately withheld from the trial. We already know about the break in at Heathrow's baggage terminal being kept hush hush for 12 years, what else has been stamped as Top Secret that we dont know about. Why are we sending our troops to far away lands to put their lives on the line to bring other countries democracy if we treat our own citizens with contempt, I think the victims families at least deserve to know the truth.

I think it is good to have a discussion, we may not agree 100% of the time but at least we can do so without everyone falling out.
Bob, too many coincidents for my liking as well. The Scots have a long history. I would love to see the compassionate precedent for the release of mass murderers. or murderers in general in the recent history of Scottish law. I bet my life that no precedent or no comparable release has ever happened in recent Scottish history. Yet the most notorious, largest mass murderer is set free? Are you Fuc%^& kiddin me?

Most cases have questions and unanswered questions, thus the appeals process... This may be the most obscene political sodomy of my lifetime. Party hat and kazoos for the bad guys. I can not believe that anyone would even take a stab at defending this one. :
Old 08-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='990906' date='Aug 27 2009, 08:44 PM
Bob, too many coincidents for my liking as well. The Scots have a long history. I would love to see the compassionate precedent for the release of mass murderers. or murderers in general in the recent history of Scottish law. I bet my life that no precedent or no comparable release has ever happened in recent Scottish history. Yet the most notorious, largest mass murderer is set free? Are you Fuc%^& kiddin me?

Most cases have questions and unanswered questions, thus the appeals process... This may be the most obscene political sodomy of my lifetime. Party hat and kazoos for the bad guys. I can not believe that anyone would even take a stab at defending this one. :
Yes I believe that the UK is soft on crime, in fact you are likely to get a longer sentence for robbing a bank than murdering someone. Like I said from the start I am a supporter of the death penalty where guilt has been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. I would happily execute murders, paedofiles and rapists hell if they needed someone to pull the trigger i'd happily oblige. I dont believe that any of these people can ever be rehabilitated. Not that i am saying i agree with this one, but Jim Wallace did release a known child killer on compassionate grounds.

Do you even know anything about this case, have you looked at the evidence at all. Nowadays evidence like that wouldn't even make it to court, it would be thrown out. In this case the evidence was pretty ropey to say the least, coupled with the fact that some evidence was withheld from the trial makes a mockery of my countries justice system. Pretty hard to go through the appeal process if you are dead isn't it, what chance would he have with his appeal if some evidence that may clear his name has been stamped top secret. Even the father of one of the victims Jim Swire supported the decision because he believes that this man was wrongly convicted.

I find it rather strange for you to critise my countrys justice system when your system is far from perfect, what about Kenny Ritchie who was locked up on Death Row for 21 years for a crime that he couldnt have commited. They only agreed to release him if he dropped his appeal, sounds familiar eh. Or what about the practice of locking people up and toturing them without even giving them a trial or legal representation, you are hardly speaking from the moral high ground.

And for your talk of cutting diplomatic ties or a boycott, do what you feel is right.

Boycott Scotland
Old 08-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='991478' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:10 PM
No cold beer? I'm out.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='991506' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:41 PM
No cold beer? I'm out.

Life without Tarmac, Television, Telephones, or a nice Cool Beer (not a problem in Scotland, I'd just sit my six pack outside at the back door).
Old 08-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Senior Members

I am off to Florida on October for 2 weeks and I must say for the 1st time ever in my life I am embarrassed to be Scottish.

This was ONE mans decision ( well on the face of it) and NOT the Scottish people. For me he should have died in jail.

I think there is much more going on under the surface that we will never know about.

Makes me kind of apprehensive about going to Florida this time whereas The family and I normally love it. I am sure it will be fine once there but makes me wonder all the same.

Sad day!!
Old 08-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by paulmc' post='991999' date='Aug 28 2009, 08:45 PM
I am off to Florida on October for 2 weeks and I must say for the 1st time ever in my life I am embarrassed to be Scottish.

This was ONE mans decision ( well on the face of it) and NOT the Scottish people. For me he should have died in jail.

I think there is much more going on under the surface that we will never know about.

Makes me kind of apprehensive about going to Florida this time whereas The family and I normally love it. I am sure it will be fine once there but makes me wonder all the same.

Sad day!!
I hardly think anyone would be obtuse enough to blame you and your family for a decision made by your government. If that were the case I, as an American citizen, would have had to relinquish my passport long ago.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Senior Members

I am sure you are right, but it's sad we are even in this position.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Originally Posted by paulmc' post='991999' date='Aug 28 2009, 09:45 PM

Sad day!!
Paul, you are a good man and will have no problem in South Florida. The reality here is that 95% have no idea about what we just discussed, and in a global mecca, your british accent is a stimulus. Here's a funny/not so funny dicotomy. In the US you are probably more likely to be killed by someone that has no knowledge or interest in religion/politics.