Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

5series.net is so dead these days......why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05' 545i

definitively not spending half my work day on here anymore lol

all good things must come to an end at some point...
Old 12-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

Originally Posted by Eugene134
I still lurke around from time to time but do not post. There doesnt seem to be anything new really going on, other than a few members with with awesome upgrades. I think everything has been discussed at this point.

Would definetly like to have a NY meet with some of my old forum buddies and new members in the spring.
Looks like all the old forum members are showing up to post here though lol

Originally Posted by m630
+1.
+1000 we have to get something together to meet up its just been way too long.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

I'm sort of back and actually find some posts useful. Since I got a new car, my modding itch is back. But it has been quite dead for sometime.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

I started visiting a lot less frequently about a year ago when things died own. Then the redesign came and made a bad situation worse.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

I'd been out for awhile. Finally checked back in today and saw this thread. I was happy to see the "old timers" postings.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I was thinking who are these old timers? Then I looked at my join date and said "oh" lol.

There are a myriad of reasons for the declination in activity. As discussed, there is a bit of repetition for those who joined in the "pioneering" days of the E60 (and yes, to an extent, the F-series). The jump from E39 to E60 was dramatic and polarizing, from a technology and exterior design standpoint. There was (is) soooo much to learn, so many customizations to the Bangle vision. The car was one big Easter egg hunt, and this forum provided the road maps to discovering them. The forum itself was pioneering from an administrative and contribution standpoint. The will to tinker with what was then pretty pricy cars was bold, daring, and risky. But pioneering usually is.

Today, the pioneering has lessened dramatically, especially as the cars have matured. The older members/owners have moved from a discovery period, to more of a teaching role for the new owners. As the price point of these cars continues to drop, many original owners have also dumped the platform, migrated to F series, or simply moved away from BMW altogether. Even within the F series, many lessons learned from the E60 are transferable to that platform, from module programming to performance tweeks. It's not nearly as dramatic a learning jump as the E39 to E60 jump was (just use the whole Bluetooth TCU fiasco as an example of the pioneering that took place).

For me, there has been an increase in juvenilistic behavior in some posts, as the cars have left the exclusive platform, and joined more of the mainstream owners. Some of the mutual respect has been lost it seems, and this started some years ago (remember the "Graph" illustrating this phenomenon? I wish I could find it...). For me, I went through a period of high activity and excitement, then a long lull as my enthusiasm waned, and now a return as the E60 has grown to geriatric status and things deteriorate as such. But, I also love helping when I can.

Finally, yes, the ownership change (and layout change) has had a cooling effect, at least with me. Again, it goes back to the pioneering spirit. Dave and Mark did something few could successfully - they came together and created this amazing resource. I wanted to thank them with my wallet, and so did so many others. I still have my window clings and still value being labeled a "contributor". It's so great to see so many familiar names, though many others don't appear. There are so many new faces, cars, and even still, some new discoveries. The forum didn't die. It just matured, evolved (remember when it was e60.net)? And, it has grown up with its founding platform - the E60.

Last edited by advancedlogic; 02-12-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2013 535i xDrive AW/Black M-kit

yea, everyone has an e60 now, i moved onto an f10 myself. a lot of stuff is pretty similar
Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

almost every car forums are dead, and yeah i still do freaquent most car forums but just lurking.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

I just lurk now a days.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I agree with most people. It's not about the forum change, but it may have to do that the E60 is very mature and a lot of people have moved on to other platforms. My wife still drives my former E60, but I've moved back to the amazing 3 series. I tried the bigger car, and although nothing beats it in terms of luxury or comfort, I find the 3 series much more tossable and more fun to drive. Maybe I'll give the 5er another chance, once I'm in my 70's. All kidding aside, it was a good run while it lasted. I'm sure we all come back for a quick update here and there, but the newness is gone.

Quick Reply: 5series.net is so dead these days......why?