Group Buys For the listing and discussion of group buys only!

PnP Multimedia interface module + Back up camera kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Got my stuff

Will let you know how the Install went

Thanks MentholGuy
Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Members

OK GUYS, GROUP BUY PRICE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

THIS DEAL IS OVER.

- Does anyone know how to lock this thread?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Members

any members installed them yet? Would love to see how it went. Let us know!
Old 02-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by soulcontroller
any members installed them yet? Would love to see how it went. Let us know!
I installed mine today, since its cold out here I dont work for long. Its quite a job if your doing it for the first time. According to me the hard part begins when you install the stuff and start putting things back together.

If you read the DIY its pretty clear but boy, when I was installing the stuff on my friends M5 we couldnt figure one thing, and it was why things were not powering up. After 1 hour of intense debugging we realised its the socket, if the socket that connects to the CIC is not put the perfect way it wont relay power even though it would look like everything is okay.

Also, it took us close to 10 hours on our first car (SMG M5) (complicated stuff, also I was being EXTRA XTRA careful doning anything) since we did the front camera also and the firewall needed to be taken care of coming all the way -- took a long while.

When I did my car, I knew exactly where things would go and and it went fast. Then again, one person for the job is really not great.

Bottom line, the product is okay -- Its not the clearest cameras but does the job well .

The Cons --

It has this stupid keyboard, like this circuit board that is basicly a naked silicone chip with some buttons, couldnt someone have a proper case for that keypad when they were charging so much money.

Overall, SATISFIED with the outcome
Old 02-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Metallic Green 535i,Dakota Brown leather,NAV,HD Radio, Comfort Access,Sport pkg,Premium Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Logic7,Park Distance, SAT/Paddles, Ipod adapter, tint, LED Side markers, & halos, heated fronts,CPO'd car, tinted tails, heads, reflectors, backup camera, afe cold air intake, led license plate lights, rear lip spoiler, recoded modules: remote folding of mirrors, deleted accept screen on idrive, auto unlocking of door when ignition turned off, closing windows, & sunroof w/ remote, digital speedo on instrument cluster.

Like racer boss said, I also had some initial problems, as i've never taken apart the dash assembly before. The install went pretty well, but took me around 10 hrs by myself. I'm very satisfied with the operation of the camera. If I had to do it again, it would probably take maybe 1-2 hrs. & that keyboard was wack! But I feel it was worth the expense. I like having a rear camera view while backing up, plus I can add the DVD option also.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Senior Members

still waiting to set up an appointment for install...
Old 02-14-2011, 04:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bens1088
still waiting to set up an appointment for install...
Your the lucky one if your getting that job done for free.
The deal you got was the best, all i can say is be patient, its worth it.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by TheRacerBoss
I installed mine today, since its cold out here I dont work for long. Its quite a job if your doing it for the first time. According to me the hard part begins when you install the stuff and start putting things back together.

If you read the DIY its pretty clear but boy, when I was installing the stuff on my friends M5 we couldnt figure one thing, and it was why things were not powering up. After 1 hour of intense debugging we realised its the socket, if the socket that connects to the CIC is not put the perfect way it wont relay power even though it would look like everything is okay.

Also, it took us close to 10 hours on our first car (SMG M5) (complicated stuff, also I was being EXTRA XTRA careful doning anything) since we did the front camera also and the firewall needed to be taken care of coming all the way -- took a long while.

When I did my car, I knew exactly where things would go and and it went fast. Then again, one person for the job is really not great.

Bottom line, the product is okay -- Its not the clearest cameras but does the job well .

The Cons --

It has this stupid keyboard, like this circuit board that is basicly a naked silicone chip with some buttons, couldnt someone have a proper case for that keypad when they were charging so much money.

Overall, SATISFIED with the outcome
You don't need to keep that keyboard hooked up all the time. I took it off after I set up the options. Its sooo flimsy. Just FYI.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 550i SMG, HUD, Cold Weather/Sport Package, Mtech front bumper, Oem M5 rear bumper, V1 Concealed, RPI Scoop, 6000K HID both Fog and Headlight, M5 mirrors, LED interior lighting, M5 SMG Shift Knob, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust Quad Pipe, 30% Tint, Sprint B
Model Year: 2007

One issue I have ran into with the installation of the kit is the wire harness is pretty bulky when fitting everything back behind the dashboard. Right now with new lcd wire connection I am having trouble routing the oem lcd wire behind the screen without interfering with the video signal. The oem wire is pretty stiff and I don't want to bend it too much. Another issue is the space to fit the module above the glove box is pretty tight. In the summer time when the sun is beating down on the dashboard will the module be affected by the added heat? Overall the kit works just need to make the wire harness a little less bulky and wires a little longer to place things behind the dash in better locations.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:09 AM
Contributors

Here is what I did,
I ran into the same problem with the M5,
I managed to get the OEM wire from the LCD all the way over to the place that is EXACTLY above the glove compartment (Exactly above the lever that releases the glove box.

NOTE -- VERY VERY IMPORTANT -- Cover the OEM LCD connector with electrical tape
Also, I insulated the entire Interface itself taking precaution not to block its vents. Then I made a hole in the glove compartment in order to make the Video Connectors neatly visible. -- NOTE -- Dont block the light, position the hole so that it allows the light to light up the compartment.

It was a bear to put the stuff back since there are so many wires and harnesses and you have to get everything just right for the cover to go back in the right place.
Once its in there its SUPERCOOL.

I think I should have taken some pictures to show you guys what exactly I did, My Interface will NEVER get heated since it will get a little cold air from the side vent and also its not right by the LCD but futher closer to the passenger.

I would who ever made this stuff should do 2 things for sure

1. Have an extension cable for the OEM LCD connector
2. Have the Input|Output A\V connector cords atleast 5 inches more longer so there is more room to play

Mind you, like I said earlier -- 10 hours was for installing both front and rear cameras
Otherwise it was all great.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I also did the mod where I can have the back up camera Turn ON -- ON DEMAND -- So without engaging the reverse gear (While driving around) i can turn on the reverse camera

Quick Reply: PnP Multimedia interface module + Back up camera kit