Group Buys For the listing and discussion of group buys only!

GB: E60 Video Interface with Navigation Integration Capable. $350

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Got a DIY post for you guys. Now sign up people!!!

The E60 Video Interface kit should include the following parts:
BMW Interface
Multi Function AV input cable
RGB Input cable (for satnav, car pc etc)
Main Monitor Connection Cable
Power/Connection Loom (ACC, 12V, Gnd etc)
Toggle Switch and Cable
User Manual

Before starting the installation, please ensure that the ignition on your car is switched OFF and the key should fully pulled out and away.

INSTALLATION

Step 1
Remove the two Torx Screws to release the BMW IDRIVE Monitor. The monitor can then be pulled downwards and released from the dashboard.
Name:  step1.bmp
Views: 201
Size:  526.8 KB

Step 2
Release the original IDRIVE Monitor connection cable from the back of the Monitor and connect the Monitor connection cable supplied with the interface in its place.
Name:  step2.bmp
Views: 152
Size:  832.1 KB

Step 3
Route the original and the additional monitor cable to the desired position where you would like the E60 video interface to be located (such as the glove compartment or in back and underneath of the idrive). Then connect the original cable into the port marked ?LVDS IN? and the interface cable into ?LDVS OUT?. Please take care when connecting the Original IDRIVE monitor cable to the interface to avoid damaging the pins.
Name:  step3.bmp
Views: 162
Size:  90.6 KB

Step 4
We recommend that the power cables are connected directly to the fuse box which is located at the back of the glove compartment, and the main fuse box in the boot of your vehicle. The cables should be connected as follows:
BLACK ? Connect to Ground (connect with a ring connector to the torx screw that supports the fuse box in the glove compartment or other suitable ground point in your car.
YELLOW ? Connect to 12v constant power supply (power supply that turns on without key in ignition).
GREY (Optional) ? Connect to 12v Constant Power Supply (this will enable safety warning)
GREEN (Optional) ? Connect to reverse gear positive, this will enable automatic rear camera view when the reverse gear is selected.
Connect the main connector to the interface.

Step 5 ? CAN BUS Installation (Optional)
Can bus installation enables the iDrive control button to be used to switch to the interface. Incorrect installation and tampering with your vehicles CAN-BUS can cause damage to your cars electrical system we therefore only recommend that you carry out this step if you have experience of the BMW CAN-BUS system or are a qualified installer/engineer. If in doubt please skip this step as the toggle switch can be used in its place.
On the back of the monitor you will find a white connector and a black connector, unplug the black connector (press slightly and pull out) to release the 12 pin connector.
Name:  step5.bmp
Views: 160
Size:  307.3 KB
The Can bus connection cables are the twisted pair of white and red cables.
On the 12 pin connector pin 5 is CAN-HIGH and should be connected to the White cable on the interface. Pin 6 is CAN-LOW and should be connected to the Red cable on the interface.
(Please note, colour codes can vary please ensure that you have located the correct can cables before connecting as we accept no responsibility for any damage to your cars electronic circuit if fitted incorrectly)
Replace the monitor after installation.

Step 6
Connect the Toggle switch cable to the RJ11 port at the side of the interface, and place toggle switch at desired location. (can be attached to dashboard using double sided tape).

Step 7
Connect the Multifunction AV cable to the ?AV IN/OUT? port on the interface.
Audio must be connected via the cars Aux-input or if you have Dension, then connect it to the Dension. Connect the Audio Out RCA connectors to your cars Aux-Input connector, or alternatively use an FM transmitter.

Step 8
Connect Video sources, to the ?AV? input cables (such as DVD player, PS2, Digital TV Tuner etc) Three AV sources can be connected simultaneously using AV1 IN, AV2 IN, and AV3 IN.
Connect rear view camera to the yellow ?Camera? cable, if required.
Two ?Video out? cables are provided if you wish to connect external monitors.
Connect the RGB In cable to the interface (if required) to connect to GPS Satnav system (Aftermarket GPS can be used on your cars monitor if you do not have original BMW navigation system) or Car PC.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Banned

Here's the navigation u can use. Only $200.00 and makes ur non-navi idrive screen into a now idrive.
http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/Nav200.aspx

Or
Pyle PLNVB25 for twice the price of Nav200

I only found these two for people who requested for navigation integration and I am not affiliated with them.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:04 AM
Members

A few questions if you don't mind please,

- If one skips the CAN bus step (5) and uses the Toggle switch. Do you just keep on pressing the switch to change inputs? (video1, video2 rear view cam etc)

- If we use the CAN set-up that allows the idrive for input switching, what's the procedure? 3 pushes down or left etc?

- Does it also have a remote control accessories option?

I hope these will help answer some questions others may have. I really like this deal.

Bonus question

- Any recommendations of a good digital tv tuner/dvd combo player?

Thanks

Greg
Old 05-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbogate' post='884299' date='May 20 2009, 09:04 AM
Any recommendations of a good digital tv tuner/dvd combo player?
Since the interface has 3 video inputs why would you want a combo? Do what I did - use the $40 government coupon to get yourself a "free" digital TV tuner for one of those inputs (assuming you live in the States of course). You will have to simply purchase a small/cheap 12V to 120V converter to power it. Then for less than $100 connect to your second set of inputs a Western Digital HD Media Player that can be powered by 12V, has 2 USB inputs, can play any standard definition and high definition files (downconverting them to standard definition on the fly)

This way for around $100 you can have high definition* live TV and play high definition* USB content in your car (*converted to standard definition which is plenty fine for the small screens)
Old 05-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kapusta' post='884354' date='May 20 2009, 11:21 AM
Since the interface has 3 video inputs why would you want a combo? Do what I did - use the $40 government coupon to get yourself a "free" digital TV tuner for one of those inputs (assuming you live in the States of course). You will have to simply purchase a small/cheap 12V to 120V converter to power it. Then for less than $100 connect to your second set of inputs a Western Digital HD Media Player that can be powered by 12V, has 2 USB inputs, can play any standard definition and high definition files (downconverting them to standard definition on the fly)

This way for around $100 you can have high definition* live TV and play high definition* USB content in your car (*converted to standard definition which is plenty fine for the small screens)
lol, classic nice way around it, will definitly consider it.

I remember seing a Pyle head unit TV/DVD combo that fits perfectly (without cuting) in that small storage compartment between the BMW CD player and DSC button panel. It looked pretty good there.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Banned

A few questions if you don't mind please,

- If one skips the CAN bus step (5) and uses the Toggle switch. Do you just keep on pressing the switch to change inputs? (video1, video2 rear view cam etc)
Yes, you just keep pressing the switch to change inputs.

- If we use the CAN set-up that allows the idrive for input switching, what's the procedure? 3 pushes down or left etc?
You hold down the menu button for a couple seconds and it switches input. THis way, it doesnt interfere with the holding up down left and right feature of the idrive.

- Does it also have a remote control accessories option?
No remote. You wouldnt need a remote for it. Since everything is kept to OEM design, the toggle switch is the only thing that will have a non-OEM look.

I hope these will help answer some questions others may have. I really like this deal.

Bonus question

- Any recommendations of a good digital tv tuner/dvd combo player?
kapusta's idea is great. I was thinking of a car PC. You can turn you glove compartment into a mini PC or wire everything through the trunk or even under the seat. Now you can have WHATEVER you want. TV tuner, navigation, windows media, game console emulators, internet connection, etc etc.

Originally Posted by kapusta' post='884354' date='May 20 2009, 11:21 AM

That's genius! Never thought of that. I should've kept my $40 coupon. I thought it was garbage. LOL
Old 05-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by turbogate' post='884405' date='May 20 2009, 11:34 AM
I remember seing a Pyle head unit TV/DVD combo that fits perfectly (without cuting) in that small storage compartment between the BMW CD player and DSC button panel. It looked pretty good there.
If you go my way, you can put everything out of sight behind the glove box, or under the steering wheel etc. Then simply (for some additional cash $30 on eBay ) you can get the PAC IR-X - IR remote extender. You can mount the tiny sensor almost anywhere where it won't be seen. And you simply run a USB extension cable from the WD to the glovebox and you're done.

I'll upload some pictures of my actuall setup this weekend.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Members

I think I like the price, Do you have to reach 10 people to get that deal going? Are you still doing the deposit option? What would be the turn around?

Let me know.

Kapusta,

looking forward to seing your set-up

Thanks guys
Old 05-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by turbogate' post='885153' date='May 20 2009, 11:59 PM
I think I like the price, Do you have to reach 10 people to get that deal going? Are you still doing the deposit option? What would be the turn around?

Let me know.

Kapusta,

looking forward to seing your set-up

Thanks guys
Yes I do need 10 people. once 10 people is here, it will take about 7 to 10 business days turn around time. You can leave a deposit first if you want.

Since the price has been dropped to $350, the deposit is now only $175. Fully refundable until group buy is closed.

For all purchases over $200 of my e60 lighting equipment, you will receive a $40 credit towards the purchase of the group buy of the e60 video interface! Limited time offer. Take advantage of the special deals now!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Contributors

Talking

Our X5's system by Kenwood cost tons more than this ($1800) and yet it seems like it can do pretty much the same things. I have the BMW iPod integration kit installed on my 06 530i. If I get this would I be able to use it for playing back iPod videos?

The backup camera doesn't come with it, right? It's just got the plug available if you have one?

Love the idea of the digital TV player. Great idea!

Quick Reply: GB: E60 Video Interface with Navigation Integration Capable. $350