Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

What are the best settings to use when burning a MP3 CD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 - 2006 (530i) Automatic --- Options: Professional Navigation, Voice Control, i-Drive, Blue Tooth enabled, Adaptive Lights, Active Steering, High Beam Assist, TV Function, Active Seats (Leather) with Airconditioning / Heating Option, Wooden Trim, Sports Package, Extended Aircon function, Anti Dazzle Rear & Side View Mirrors, BMW Assist, BMW Online Option, Dynamic Drive, Tyres: Option 123 - 245/40 R18 (RFT)

Hello All, just wanted to share my experience with MP3 DVD's... I have an E60 - 2006 (530i) with Professional Navigation and I-Drive Options. I bought it in June. I had been trying to play MP3 CD's and MP3 DVD's with no luck till today . I was using I-Tunes for burning my CD's and DVD's.

After reading this thread , I bought Nero 6 Reloaded Software and used it for burning a CD-R and a DVD+R for test purposes. I used the CD Burning configurations given in the first message of this topic... And walla!!! I managed to play both of them (CD / DVD) in my car .

1. On the CD-R, I burnt about 169 songs (700 M and all of them had a bit rate of 192 kbps and used 4X burn speed... I tested this CD by playing it in my CD Drive (one above the Navigation DVD Drive) and the Navigation DVD Drive, and it played perfectly in both. I was able to see all folders and songs in the Entertainment Menu (Artist >>> Album >>> Genre) and in song details (Track Number - Artist - Song Title - Duration) were displayed as well. No skipping of songs... ...

2. On the DVD+R, I burnt about 430 songs (2.4 G and 90% of the songs had a bit rate of 192 kbps and used 8X burn speed... I tested this DVD by playing it in my CD Drive (one above the Navigation DVD Drive) and the Navigation DVD Drive, and it played in the DVD Drive Only. CD Drive did not recognize the DVD (logical) (just wanted to test if the CD Drive would recognize the DVD)... I was able to see all folders and songs in the Entertainment Menu (Artist >>> Album >>> Genre) and in song details (Track Number - Artist - Song Title - Duration) were displayed as well. No skipping of songs... ... So I guess, on my car there is no limitaion on the total number of songs that the car DVD Drive can recognize .

Now, I plan to test if I can play MP3 songs burnt on a DVD+R DL Disc (8.6 GB Capacity). Let's see how many songs can my car recognize on this DVD ... If this works then I guess the i-Pod Interface option is out from my list of to be options ...

This is a wonderful forum for getting some useful help and info... Keep it up guys ............. Cheers..................................
Old 08-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 523i silver, black leather , sunroof , bluetooth , pdc , M sports kit , Steptronic gear box , active stearing , active cruise control

can I get the name of the artist and title of the song using itunes ??? please help me because all I get is the song number and please tell me do you have to have nav to be able to view the titles my car was built on June 8 2005
Old 08-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Originally Posted by cliffysa' post='324134' date='Aug 18 2006, 01:49 PM
can I get the name of the artist and title of the song using itunes ??? please help me because all I get is the song number and please tell me do you have to have nav to be able to view the titles my car was built on June 8 2005
Yes, just sort things on your Mac the way you want them and burn. I have mine by artist and album, and without Nav I can navigate the folder hierarchy that was burned to disc. When in a particular album, it shows the track number and title.

I think this thread has pretty detailed instructions if you are on Windows. Might be in FAQ's also.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Members

I am getting a bit frustrated with the whole MP3 CD thing.

I have an 06 E60 April Build with aux input etc and so my single slot cd player should handle Mp3 right?

Using Itunes with preferences set to mp3 data cd and burning at the slowest speed on a Cd-R I just get the message "medium can not be read"

any ideas, is anyone else using itunes succesfully to burn Mp3 cd's?

Help appreciated.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

I have a Nov 05 525d with Business Nav and it plays MP3 CDs and DVD (always using iTunes) and am generally happy with it however the quality of the disk is crucial! I often find that with my batch of DVD-RWs it works ok if absolutly spotless and generally better before the DVD gets hot.

My advice is to use TOP QUALITY CDs and DVD (as mentioned by many others) and try to avoid re-writables as they tend to be more tricky to read.

Love this feature of the BMW but hate the fact i cannot use my satnav properly without swapping disks... Bring on the Dension kit!
Old 09-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Originally Posted by andymac' post='332764' date='Sep 9 2006, 05:38 PM
I am getting a bit frustrated with the whole MP3 CD thing.

I have an 06 E60 April Build with aux input etc and so my single slot cd player should handle Mp3 right?

Using Itunes with preferences set to mp3 data cd and burning at the slowest speed on a Cd-R I just get the message "medium can not be read"

any ideas, is anyone else using itunes succesfully to burn Mp3 cd's?

Help appreciated.
I am using iTunes on my iMac successfully for burning and playback on my e60. I use Memorex CD-R media, on maximum possible burn setting, my optical disk is Matshita DVD-R UJ-825.

Are you using data or MP-3 formatting? Use MP-3 NOT data. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi Silver Grey over Black Dakota with Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort, NAV, Logic 7, Sirius, 18" 123s. Current: 2006 Lexus GX 470 2005 SLK 350 No Longer With Us: BMW 330xi; Mini Cooper S; Infiniti FX45; every Audi imaginable; various others

Anybody using either iTunes or Roxio Creator 8 to make mp3 discs?

I can make readable discs fine, but I am trying to get the artist and song name displayed in my car and all I can get are the song names. I do not see the setting "File System ISO 9660:1999" (described in great detail in the first post of this thread) with either of these software packages.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Hi I have a 2004 252i and my cd dont suport the mp3.
Can I put a 2005 bmw radio with builtin mp3 in it?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by traza71' post='322899' date='Aug 15 2006, 09:01 PM
Hello All, just wanted to share my experience with MP3 DVD's... I have an E60 - 2006 (530i) with Professional Navigation and I-Drive Options. I bought it in June. I had been trying to play MP3 CD's and MP3 DVD's with no luck till today . I was using I-Tunes for burning my CD's and DVD's.

After reading this thread , I bought Nero 6 Reloaded Software and used it for burning a CD-R and a DVD+R for test purposes. I used the CD Burning configurations given in the first message of this topic... And walla!!! I managed to play both of them (CD / DVD) in my car .

1. On the CD-R, I burnt about 169 songs (700 M and all of them had a bit rate of 192 kbps and used 4X burn speed... I tested this CD by playing it in my CD Drive (one above the Navigation DVD Drive) and the Navigation DVD Drive, and it played perfectly in both. I was able to see all folders and songs in the Entertainment Menu (Artist >>> Album >>> Genre) and in song details (Track Number - Artist - Song Title - Duration) were displayed as well. No skipping of songs... ...

2. On the DVD+R, I burnt about 430 songs (2.4 G and 90% of the songs had a bit rate of 192 kbps and used 8X burn speed... I tested this DVD by playing it in my CD Drive (one above the Navigation DVD Drive) and the Navigation DVD Drive, and it played in the DVD Drive Only. CD Drive did not recognize the DVD (logical) (just wanted to test if the CD Drive would recognize the DVD)... I was able to see all folders and songs in the Entertainment Menu (Artist >>> Album >>> Genre) and in song details (Track Number - Artist - Song Title - Duration) were displayed as well. No skipping of songs... ... So I guess, on my car there is no limitaion on the total number of songs that the car DVD Drive can recognize .

Now, I plan to test if I can play MP3 songs burnt on a DVD+R DL Disc (8.6 GB Capacity). Let's see how many songs can my car recognize on this DVD ... If this works then I guess the i-Pod Interface option is out from my list of to be options ...

This is a wonderful forum for getting some useful help and info... Keep it up guys ............. Cheers..................................

Hi,

I have a November 2003 530i which I had the dealer retrofit MP3 to and it does work (the car would not play the MP3 cd before at all). I even burned a DVD-R and that played too. Fantastic!

The question I have is about limits. My DVD that I burned does not list all the songs. I can't tell if it's a song limit, folder limit or size limit, but my buest guess is about 80% of the 4GB is displayed (36 top level folders).

Do you have some stats on what you managed to get on? I did read somewhere that disk quality can affect this, but can't find that post right now.

Cheers

Minky
Old 12-05-2006, 02:51 AM
Members

Is there a limit how many folders you can have?
I just added one extra and it doesn't show up (there's seven since before).

/R

Quick Reply: What are the best settings to use when burning a MP3 CD?