F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

What to choose

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All

My very first post as today I decided to order my first ever BMW, the new (F10) 5 Series 520d. The car will be a company lease vehicle so I am prety restricted on toys...managed to get the auto and thats about it, after reading all the comments re the auto box I will try and sqeeze the sports version.

Really stuck on colour combination, I have been looking at the safe greys and silvers, I do want either oyster or beige interior so want some recommendations and pictures if possible of some not so safe colour choices. I have visited a number of dealers none apear to have any 5s available so I can't see any in the flesh, those that did just had grey...

Will order at the end of this week.

Cheers...Kevin.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530iA 04

Try BMW configurator.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:14 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

hi,

I have a sophisto Grey with oyster/black. Best coloured car I've ever owned. Blue/silver in the sun and almost black at night.

I looked at beige and it looked like a bowl of bananas and custard. See if you can squeeze the ambient lighting too - very nice touch and what everyone always comments about in my car

good luck
Old 04-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Members

Thanks for the response guys...

protams:

I have used the configurator more times than I care to recall, the colours are nowhere near representative of the real thing and you can't get the effect of different lighting.

dayvboyc:

I called into Sytner in High Wycombe today while down south on business, they had a Sophisto Grey in the showroom 530d M Sport very nice and the colour was a bit special, I also looked at the Imperial Blue both with Oyster/Black. Tough call between them they were both stunning...

I have a test drive set up for tomorrow in a sophisto grey with oyster so I will get a better look then.

I know what you mean about the ambient lighting, I am so peed off you would think it would cost BMW more money to leave it out of one model in the whole range, how silly it is so cool and a real seller for anyone travelling in your car that is struggling with which car to choose next! I think I may be able to get the sport auto and that will be it...

Just out of curiosity, anybody out there got their car on a company lease? I would be interested to know what the monthly cost is as I think my company is being ripped a bit. My limit is £630 per month that is based on 3 year 60000 maintenance, tyres and accident management. I have spoken to people who say that is a fair value which should give me all sorts of exotic options, although I have nothing to use as comparison.

Cheers...Kevin.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 Dec F10 520d Sport 2007 E60 520d Sport 2004 E61 525d Touring 2001 E39 530i Sport

My car was delivered before VAT increase. For 520d MSport Auto metallic with no other options the price would have been around £580 before blocked VAT, on same basis 60k/3years. My company has a pretty small fleet but a hard negotiating buyer.

I ordered ImperialBlue/OysterBlack, a beautiful combination... turned up as TitaniumSilver/Black...

A minor point but I did not order ambient lighting because you get chrome trims on the door handles, which I think looks odd on the dark sport model with dechrome.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: All on order and should be here by 28th September 2007

Originally Posted by Kev R
Just out of curiosity, anybody out there got their car on a company lease? I would be interested to know what the monthly cost is as I think my company is being ripped a bit. My limit is £630 per month that is based on 3 year 60000 maintenance, tyres and accident management. I have spoken to people who say that is a fair value which should give me all sorts of exotic options, although I have nothing to use as comparison.

Cheers...Kevin.
Have you spoken to BMW regarding the lease? They have a tie up with a company called Alphabet, and we have a couple of cars (non BMW) with them and they are very reasonable. They certainly gave me a good quote for my new F10.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi Kev R and welcome,

The F10 520d is a very nice and good car.
Only musts are the auto 8-speed trans and the PDC.

I did choose this: Black with 20" wheels and beige int.
Attached Thumbnails What to choose-eky-1.jpg  
Old 04-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

Originally Posted by Kev R
Thanks for the response guys...

protams:

I have used the configurator more times than I care to recall, the colours are nowhere near representative of the real thing and you can't get the effect of different lighting.

dayvboyc:

I called into Sytner in High Wycombe today while down south on business, they had a Sophisto Grey in the showroom 530d M Sport very nice and the colour was a bit special, I also looked at the Imperial Blue both with Oyster/Black. Tough call between them they were both stunning...

I have a test drive set up for tomorrow in a sophisto grey with oyster so I will get a better look then.

I know what you mean about the ambient lighting, I am so peed off you would think it would cost BMW more money to leave it out of one model in the whole range, how silly it is so cool and a real seller for anyone travelling in your car that is struggling with which car to choose next! I think I may be able to get the sport auto and that will be it...

Cheers...Kevin.
Hi, I am ex Leaseplan and at one point in my past helped set the monthly leases. I now support our finance team 'procure' a 1500 vehicle fleet (on top of my day job of saving the world)

the 520d rates have recently increased due to VAT, a re calculation of the RV and pressure on the SMR costs. If you've taken insurance the costs have also increased by around 30%.

Alphabet are ok - great service but a premium bmw service with a premium tag. £630 is about the money i'd say. I pay £580 but pre vat and price increase.

Good luck

just one more thing. Don't get beige or oyster if you wear jeans. I've got a blue drivers seat. It's cost me £200 in GAP replacing blue jeans with khaki ones
Old 04-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Members

OK went along to the local dealer today as arranged for my test drive, the missus was with me so she could have a go and help finalise the colour...bit of a mix-up with the car being double booked so it wasn't actually there! Anyhow we ended up looking at colours in the warehouse around the back, jam packed with cars 100s of them waiting to be delivered to customers. The Sophisto grey which I like looked very bland and ordinary in the warehouse while the Imperial Blue looked very attractive, the wife really fell for the Cashmere Silver although I thought this was a bit of an old man's colour (Sorry to offend anyone who has chose Cashmere) all had oyster interior. The dealer is bringing the car to me tomorrow and weather forecast is good, nice and sunny so hopefully the Sophisto Grey will dance and sparkle enough to convince the missus...

Regarding the lease value, the dealer gave me a quote for a 520d metallic with sports auto (DAB free of charge via BMW lease) maintenance + tyres, RAC roadside based on 36/60000. This came in at £577 excl VAT with Alphabet. My allowance is £630 excl VAT. The only thing not included is the accident management and admin as we do not have a fleet manager in house, would this account for the £53 per month per car? Actually more than that because my lease company quote is based on the standard auto! I have sent the quote on and asked the question so we will see what happens.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dayvboyc
Hi, I am ex Leaseplan and at one point in my past helped set the monthly leases. I now support our finance team 'procure' a 1500 vehicle fleet (on top of my day job of saving the world)

the 520d rates have recently increased due to VAT, a re calculation of the RV and pressure on the SMR costs. If you've taken insurance the costs have also increased by around 30%.

Alphabet are ok - great service but a premium bmw service with a premium tag. £630 is about the money i'd say. I pay £580 but pre vat and price increase.

Good luck

just one more thing. Don't get beige or oyster if you wear jeans. I've got a blue drivers seat. It's cost me £200 in GAP replacing blue jeans with khaki ones
You have quite a few extras on your F10 at £580...auto, ambient, wheels, trim etc.

Quick Reply: What to choose