F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Stuck throttle/

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On two separate occasions during the last week I experienced situations with a "stuck throttle" on my diesel. The car kept its speed on the motorway (around 100km/h - 60 mph) with the foot away from the gas pedal.
Just to check, I put the gearbox in neutral and the engine fairly quickly revved up to 3500 rpm.

Has anyone else experienced this?
(Please, no jokes about the cruise control...it was'nt active.)

I'm leaving the car at the shop for a checkup on wednesday.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Scandic24
On two separate occasions during the last week I experienced situations with a "stuck throttle" on my diesel. The car kept its speed on the motorway (around 100km/h - 60 mph) with the foot away from the gas pedal.
Just to check, I put the gearbox in neutral and the engine fairly quickly revved up to 3500 rpm.

Since the "throttle" is electronic this is something that should be investigated by BMW ASAP. I have a petrol/gas e60 and have not had this experience. Nor, do I recall, other similar situations posted on the forum.

I'm sure you have checked your floor mats ... you have already confirmed and ensured that cruise control was not engaged!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Since the "throttle" is electronic this is something that should be investigated by BMW ASAP. I have a petrol/gas e60 and have not had this experience. Nor, do I recall, other similar situations posted on the forum.

I'm sure you have checked your floor mats ... you have already confirmed and ensured that cruise control was not engaged!
Yup, the floor mats are fixed with velcro so they should stay in the same postition at all times.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:53 AM
Contributors

Yup, the floor mats are fixed with velcro so they should stay in the same postition at all times.
Check to verify you're driving a BMW and not a Toyota Sometimes they switch emblems at birth

I hope you appreciate my sense of humor - I'm not making light of a potentially dangerous situation
Attached Thumbnails Stuck throttle/-toyota.jpg   Stuck throttle/-bmw.jpg  
Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Check to verify you're driving a BMW and not a Toyota Sometimes they switch emblems at birth
Check
Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Hi Scandic24,

What was the outside temperature?

BR

TGII
Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

I'm not a big fan of drive by wire. I experience throttle lag in my e60 where the engine/car continues to accelerate for nearly a second after I've removed my foot from the accelerator. I think my problem stems from the automatic tranny. Do you have an automatic or manual?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TitangrauII530iA
Hi Scandic24,

What was the outside temperature?

BR

TGII
-15, one of the warmer days of the last couple of weeks. Today it's -25...
I have also been thinking about the low temp being the cause but I can say that it has been a lot colder this winter with no problems at all.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo
I'm not a big fan of drive by wire. I experience throttle lag in my e60 where the engine/car continues to accelerate for nearly a second after I've removed my foot from the accelerator. I think my problem stems from the automatic tranny. Do you have an automatic or manual?
Sports auto.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

Info update!

Been to the dealer today.

BMW responded quickly with a battery of logical questions; which shoes did I wear, obstacles on the floor, aftermarket heaters etc...
They also asked me to describe the occurrence in my own words. Luckily, I had filmed the tachometer and the dash with my iPhone the last time it happened.

Orders from BMW are: Replace the accelerator module and re-program the car. The old module will be sent back to BMW for examination.

More to come...

Quick Reply: Stuck throttle/