F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Sound system improved in F10?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 01:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

I have the Logic7 system in my current car and I have been quite pleased with it.
So I was a bit excited when I got into the F10 to listen to the new audio system and I must say that I was pleasently surprised! BMW must have done some major improvements with the soundsystem compared to the E6x.
I have listened to the standard system and the HiFi system and I must say that there was not so big difference. The sound was really good in both systems

Im curious to know:
- Have anyone had the chance to listen to/evaluate the HiFi Professional(DIRAC)system compared to the HiFi system in the F10?
- Does anyone know if BMW still use Harman-Kardon(Harman-Becker) components?

I have a F10 on order and I've chosen the HiFi Prof (Dirac)system, but is it really THAT much better than the HiFi?
I'm a musician (drummer) myself and good audio in the car is important.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Hi,

I had BMW individual audio in my latest E60 and now I have HiFi professional in my F10. So far I think there is no big difference between these two...but I am not a musician myself...

BR

TGII
Old 04-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi Scandic24,

Did test drive a new F10 530dA that was supposed to have the HiFi Pro Speaker system.

I don't think much of it. No way it was a high end music experience.

I'm sure that BMW will later on come out with something much better.

Like Logic 7 and Individual Sound System.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing
Hi Scandic24,

Did test drive a new F10 530dA that was supposed to have the HiFi Pro Speaker system.

I don't think much of it. No way it was a high end music experience.

I'm sure that BMW will later on come out with something much better.

Like Logic 7 and Individual Sound System.
Hi, Option 667A (Hi Fi Professional or also labelled Hi Fi Logic 7 in the UK/SG) is currently the top of the line. It utilises Dirac Live digital sound processing technology and, AFAIK, Dirac has replaced Logic 7 for the higher end BMW systems.

The Individual Hi Fi System in the E60 also utilised Dirac processing (one step above the Hi Fi Pro Logic 7 then) but utilised 825W of amplifier power, compared to 600W for the F10.

It may still be possible for the Hi Fi Individual system to be introduced in future, who knows.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I'm pretty sure there will be a real Logic7 and/or a HiFi Individual choice later on.

The option 677 HiFi Professional, according to the BMW Nordic specs, has a 600W amp and 16 speakers.

Actually there's no difference between 825W or 600W.
If you need your ears to hear anything, about 10W is enough.

It's all about the system and most about the speakers.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Scandic24
Guys,

I have the Logic7 system in my current car and I have been quite pleased with it.
So I was a bit excited when I got into the F10 to listen to the new audio system and I must say that I was pleasently surprised! BMW must have done some major improvements with the soundsystem compared to the E6x.
I have listened to the standard system and the HiFi system and I must say that there was not so big difference. The sound was really good in both systems

Im curious to know:
- Have anyone had the chance to listen to/evaluate the HiFi Professional(DIRAC)system compared to the HiFi system in the F10?
- Does anyone know if BMW still use Harman-Kardon(Harman-Becker) components?

I have a F10 on order and I've chosen the HiFi Prof (Dirac)system, but is it really THAT much better than the HiFi?
I'm a musician (drummer) myself and good audio in the car is important.

Thanks

Dirac is exquisite, a step up from L7 without question
Old 04-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

The "Individual High End" option is from the M-division, so it will probably turn up as an option in Sep along with other M-goodies such as the M-package.

Being an ex drummer I'm also picky when it comes to sound - and especially a base that is on cue. This the both Dirac solutions deliver today in the E60-series, so no reason to think it will be worse in the F10-series.

A short answer to your question Scandic24: Yes, it is that better.

AFAIK the Individual High End does not use Harman-becker components. I read about this option way back in 2007 and was surprised to read it was another company that delivered the goods. Forgot the name, though.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

I have the HiFi system in my E61 and I don't think it's very good so I have ordered the HiFi Professional for my F11. My wife is a musician and I am a hobby musician so car sound is important to us.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:01 AM
Senior Members

BMW would have to try really hard...not...to improve the quality of the existing standard sound system.

The standard one on my 2008 E61 sounds worse than a 1970's transistor radio !! OK I may be exaggerating a bit, but I think standard sound systems in cars (no just BMW) are one of the last areas of car development that needs serious improvement. It's obvious they must test them when the car is still, when it sound kinda OK, but once on the move, unlistenable.

Recently in the US I hired a Q7 with the Bose sound system and it sounded better than my $10,000 home hi-fi system.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Other than the sheer power of the bass, I believe that BMW has plenty of room for improvement in terms of sound -- even up from the E60's Logic 7.

My ride has the Logic 7 and it is not even close to as good as the 17 speaker triple upgraded Bose system that was in my 2006 Infiniti M45. That system had dramatically better fill, separation and precision of the sound. My L7 has lots of bass power but even the bass is muddy. Separation, fill and definition of the sounds sucks. I love good sound and I find the Logic 7 to be mediocre -- not the worst sound system I have ever had. In a car but not even close to the best (the Infiniti Bose system) or the second best (the upgraded system in my 1999 Saab 9-5).

Quick Reply: Sound system improved in F10?