F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Sound system improved in F10?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '08 530i Luxury LCI

I have this L7 system in my E60, it sounds awful/wierd before tuning a bit on the equalizer.
After the tune up, it's much better.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Members

Hi, does anyone have any recommendation for the equalizer settings for the Hi Fi Professional (DIRAC) system for someone who listens mainly to classical and jazz with some pop/vocals. Having just taken delivery, I know I should wait for the system to break in first but would like to hear from others who have experienced the system. Many thanks.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

If you value audio quality I would definitely get a SOP September car with new I-Pod connection that is digital instead of the current analog connection that is going away. Their are other goodies on the SOP September F10s.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pharding
If you value audio quality I would definitely get a SOP September car with new I-Pod connection that is digital instead of the current analog connection that is going away. Their are other goodies on the SOP September F10s.
Unfortunately, its a bit too late for me.

As for the direct digital out, do you know if the DAC section of the BMW head unit would be better than the DAC section of the iPod Classic? The BMW NA press release indicates that the new iPod connection is not retrofitable but I am hoping that at some stage it may be possible, if the DAC section in the head unit is indeed better. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Members

My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

Originally Posted by pharding
Can you clarify what SOP September means- I assume it refers to production after sept. but what does it stand for. Also, what goodies???
Old 08-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Senior Members

I just hate those 3 letter acronyms sometimes... ;-)
Would have been nice with a quick link or a hovering helptext for every acronym with a short explanation of what it stands for.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 AM
Senior Members

The standard sound system in my 2008 E61 is appalling, the worst sound system I ever had in any car I owned. Even our standard VW Touran sound system is at least x3 as good and the Touran is a box on wheels, costing 50% as much as BMW.

Honestly, BMW should be doing much, much better in this area. I think BMW are well below the medium standard in this class for sound systems, in fact they should be 'blowing-away' the competition. After all it is BMW themselves that talke about 'class-leading' this and 'classs-leading' that.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by narvselius
AFAIK the Individual High End does not use Harman-becker components. I read about this option way back in 2007 and was surprised to read it was another company that delivered the goods. Forgot the name, though.
Individual High End in e90/e92 is also based on Dirac, not logic7.

Dirac is also the high end system in X5/6 and new 7.

Dirac is considered and upgrade from logic 7.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Senior Members

Yes, DIRAC is also used in the HiFi Professional system for the F10/11.
What puzzles me is that BMW say (in the new options pricelist) that HiFi Prof comes with Dolby Prologic surround!?! I've got HiFi Prof and a "surround" checkbox in the iDrive, but nothing that says Dolby Prologic...
AFAIK Dirac provides the technology for "room acoustics compensation", not for "surround sound".

I'm very curious to know more about the BMW audio system.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

Originally Posted by Scandic24
Yes, DIRAC is also used in the HiFi Professional system for the F10/11.
What puzzles me is that BMW say (in the new options pricelist) that HiFi Prof comes with Dolby Prologic surround!?! I've got HiFi Prof and a "surround" checkbox in the iDrive, but nothing that says Dolby Prologic...
AFAIK Dirac provides the technology for "room acoustics compensation", not for "surround sound".

I'm very curious to know more about the BMW audio system.
In this thread http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403900 Carl_D is supplying documents from Dirac. A couple of years old but there Dirac states that the suround function for BMW cars are not supplied by Dirac.

Quick Reply: Sound system improved in F10?