F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

So What Should I Buy Now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Gents,

Without too much details, I can only afford the following in Egypt. These cars are manufactured in 6th of October Facility in Cairo at the following prices so there are no different versions:

1. 2011 F10 523i: Basic options with VDC and Standard Automatic Transmission, 10.2" Screen, Leatherette, 17" Wheels. New, 2 years warranty, USD 90k.

2. 2010 E60 530i: Fully loaded, No ARS, Pro Logic 7, Xenon, Adaptive Headlights, Automatic Transmission, New i-Drive, Sunroof, Active Steering, Dakota leather, CD Changer. 6000 Miles, 1 1/2 years warranty left, USD 80k.

Would you pay the extra USD 10k and get the new basic opetions F10 523i, or would you go for the older fully loaded E60 530i?

I have been given the new F10 523i for a 2 days test drive (special thanks to Tarek Moataz from BMW Egypt Mohandeseen Sales Team).

The F10 is a wonderful car. Better in almost every aspect than my E60 except for coenering speeds and cornering stability (which is an inherent fault due to 10% more weight). The F10 could not get the same cornering speeds as my E60 (around 97% of the cornering speeds where available on Sport Mode when compared to my standard suspension E60).

The VDC allowing you to turn the car from a 88' Buick to 2010 Porsche Carrera is simply amazing. The F10 is also more structurally rigid and on bumps and imperfections the car is really undefeatable. The 8 speed Automatic Gearbox is simply flawless. The E60 is still the more unique looking car to my eyes.

I will write a complete technical review when I have the time.

Just need your help now: F10 523i, or E60 530i (USD 10k cheaper)?
Old 10-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Flip a coin.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Thanks Pete, can you lend me a coin please ?
Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

It's American....it won't work in Egypt.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Banned

As I see you already lean towards the E60. What to buy depends on your preferences and nobody can give you any advice. The E60 530i is much faster and sportier (I would even say that the E60 with standard suspension will easily outperform the F10 with a sport suspension), no question, and the new F10 is much more comfortable, but much less sporty (unfortunately). So it's a choice between performance (E60) and comfort (F10).
Old 10-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

e60 535i
Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Those are tough choices. What I suggest will inevitably expose my subjective background and current situation. I'm not getting any younger, and my wife likes a roomier car to continue to load 2 girls (SUV is getting stylishly old for her). Yet we still like the sport looking sedans. Thank God, we have more money than we did years ago. So the choice I suggest would be the F10.

If I was single, things can change up fast. I would go for the E60 and save the 10K, and when I'm tired of it and a good used F10 shows up, I'd go for that. It's all about your current personal situation and preferences . . . and timing of course. Let us know what you end up with.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Dear Shebs,

Order yourself a proper brand new F10 523iA with the extras you want.

That must be possible even in the "Mubarak-land" - no hard feelings, I hope.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
Those are tough choices. What I suggest will inevitably expose my subjective background and current situation. I'm not getting any younger, and my wife likes a roomier car to continue to load 2 girls (SUV is getting stylishly old for her). Yet we still like the sport looking sedans. Thank God, we have more money than we did years ago. So the choice I suggest would be the F10.

If I was single, things can change up fast. I would go for the E60 and save the 10K, and when I'm tired of it and a good used F10 shows up, I'd go for that. It's all about your current personal situation and preferences . . . and timing of course. Let us know what you end up with.
I am exactly in your same position. I got married 1 1/2 years ago and I now have a 3 months old boy with his massive car seat. My wife likes the F10 for its luxurious and comfy ride, she swears that the car is two times better than my car in terms of ride, and she also likes the new i-Drive screen.

But I am still the same performance guy I was 5 years ago. I want to hear my tyres whistling at every corner. I think I will never be cured .

And my wife is in the car for only 30% of the time, and it is MY car, and.........., I hope she is not reading this, lol .

I will let you know what I will end up with for sure.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing
Dear Shebs,

Order yourself a proper brand new F10 523iA with the extras you want.

That must be possible even in the "Mubarak-land" - no hard feelings, I hope.
He's getting himself famous, isn't he ? No hard feelings taken of course, we all love the guy .

Unfortunately Ric the manufacturing facility in Egypt supplies options packages with each engine. The 523i would be the cheapest price with fewest options, the 528i would be the midrange with average options, and the 535i is sold at the highest price with obligatory options such as adaptive drive, soft closing doors, and LCD screens at the rear!

Due to economies of scale (the factory produces only 5400 cars a year), BMW can not custom make the cars according to the customer preference. For example, I can not add anti dazzling mirrors to a 523i nor can I eleminate the soft closing doors from the 535i as this will disturb the small capabilities of the production lines.

Unfortunately, I do not have the financial capability to buy the 528i or the 535i as these cars, though locally manufactured, are double the price of the US. The 523i is within my range. Importing a car manufactured in Germany would mean that I buy triple the price in the US, so it is not an option.

So now, which would you choose if you were in my shoes ?

Quick Reply: So What Should I Buy Now?