F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

The "set-up"

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand the govt is breathing down their necks but I also feel BMW has a reputation for sport/luxury vehicles and with this particular engine - misses the mark. Again, I'm curious to hear other opinions when more members experience the 4 cylinder version. Truly shocked the automotive press liked it so much - makes me thing I'm the crazy one. Oh well, you like what you like regardless of the stats.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

Originally Posted by addysdaddy
I understand the govt is breathing down their necks but I also feel BMW has a reputation for sport/luxury vehicles and with this particular engine - misses the mark. Again, I'm curious to hear other opinions when more members experience the 4 cylinder version. Truly shocked the automotive press liked it so much - makes me thing I'm the crazy one. Oh well, you like what you like regardless of the stats.

I've had a few diesels over the years and prefer the driving experience. Once you get used to driving, and using the turbo lag as a traction control aid, it great.

I've clocked up 25k in 10 months and for motorways and fast A roads its perfect. I went back to petrol for my last car and found the lack or torque annoying. That said I've never had the opportunity, or budget, to drive a 550 but I bet it's great. But when do you ever get to really put the hammer down in the real world?

My 520 feels every inch a 5 series and when I'm sitting on the motorway doing the speed limit + 9% you'd never tell the difference.

American - wake up and smell the coffee diesel
Old 10-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

oh and as for 'mid size' I'd say the 5 is too big for the UKs B roads, city centres and car parks.

But please lets not go size and weight crazy again

Old 10-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Well friends, I sorry to report that for me, the 4 banger doesn't work. I've read the articles claiming better numbers and faster speeds and I was very hopeful. But driving in traffic this thing takes FOREVER to spool up and get going. I counted out loud to the salesman and it took over 2 seconds for the power to kick in. And frankly you can through the numbers out once your behind the wheel driving - it's all seat of pants. It was so disappointing the I terminated the test drive inside of 10 minutes. There is no way I would purchase a 5er with that engine, let alone that it's a brand new with no history whatsoever. IMO, the 2011 IL6 did a much better job of powering the 528. Shame I cannot find one with the equipment I desire, as they apparently are not dealing on the 535s. The pricing is insane and vastly different then I was expecting based on the reports from the Edmunds pricing forums - I'm talking $4-$5k more then reported there. I live in south Florida but still, even accounting for difference in regional pricing, I don't get it. Sorry everyone, I really really want to like this new engine.
Not surprised at all by your findings.

A few questions:
Could you describe what the engine noise was like in the cabin?
Was the turbo whine noticeable?
How high did the RPMs have to get before you started to feel any power?
Old 10-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Members

The diesel vehicles I've driven provide a much greater sense of acceleration then this engine. Again, only my opinion - ymmv.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

The F10 is just way too big and heavy for a 4-cyl engine. What was BMW thinking?

A 4-banger belongs in an economy car, not in a luxury sedan.

Terrible idea.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
Not surprised at all by your findings.

A few questions:
Could you describe what the engine noise was like in the cabin?
Was the turbo whine noticeable?
How high did the RPMs have to get before you started to feel any power?
Regarding engine noise, there wasn't much if any. Car was very quiet and if anything, much to quiet for my taste. Unfortunately, once I hit the accelerator and nothing happened, it was game over and I stopped paying attention. In fact I couldn't get back to the dealership fast enough. Sorry, I know that doesn't help but that initial let down was very depressing as I really really want to like the car. And since I'm in the "buying mode", I started thinking of other possibilities.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:08 AM
New Members

You are in the exact same situation as me. After test driving a 2011 528i I decided it had enough power for me (especially at a $5,000 savings) and would have bought one, if they could have found one with the options I wanted. The 6 cylinder engine just felt so smooth and effortless. When I realized I would need to order a 2012 to get all my options, it became a different decision. While the 4 cylinders engine looked better on paper than the outgoing 6, I didn't want to be one of the first purchasers and then find out the engine has to work too hard for this size of car. Now, that $5,000 savings didn't sound quite as important. Also, one of the options I would have paid extra for on the 528 (Comfort Access keyless entry) was included on the 535's premium pkg., so the price difference between the 528 and 535 for me was now about $4,000.
Maybe after the 4 cylinder has proven itself at this weight class for a few years I would consider it. When I placed my order there weren't even any reviews out yet. Easy decision for me going with the 535. Now, After reading your first hand impressions of the 4 cylinder, I am very satisfied with my decision to go with 535. Thanks, and good luck. By the way, as for pricing on the 535, have you checked out the USAA auto buying website. The price on a 2012 535 that I ordered came out to invoice minus $1800 nav credit.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:03 AM
Members

I did and also got a Costco Price which I tried to beat. Unfortunately the dealerships in my local area aren't interested in dealing and I'm simply not willing to be at the $60k price point, so I decided to go with the 2012 A6 3.0T. It's a wonderful driving car with quattro and great acceleration, not to mention all the gingerbread. I really wanted the 5er but I guess things have a way of working out for the best. I wish everyone here only the very best.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I did and also got a Costco Price which I tried to beat. Unfortunately the dealerships in my local area aren't interested in dealing and I'm simply not willing to be at the $60k price point, so I decided to go with the 2012 A6 3.0T. It's a wonderful driving car with quattro and great acceleration, not to mention all the gingerbread. I really wanted the 5er but I guess things have a way of working out for the best. I wish everyone here only the very best.
That's funny - a few years ago I was actually trying to get an A6 w/V-8 and ended up with my 535i for the exact reason you quoted. Enjoy that Audi, its a beautiful and very well engineered car