F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Ok Rudy, TIMES UP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rudy,

I believe we've held our collective breath long enough and would like to hear your thoughts on the F10 and contrasts to the E60! As I received my copy of the new Motor Trend last week, I am confronted with the often spoken about negatives of the F10 550i in the Car of the Year loss, only to be greeted with their final review of their long term e90 M3.

If both were negative, perhaps we can chalk it up to MT being BMW haters one and all, but they could not be futher apart in their stories that it begs the question as to what is going on in the reality of the F10.

For the Car of the Year story, the F10 was nominated but didnt get finalist considerations. They speak about the utter lack of road feel and the fact that technology has negated all that was good in the 5 series of just a few years ago in the E39. They say its great in terms of tech and performance, but the size of the car is so big that it may take away any fun in the twisties regardless of whether the technowizards keep the car planted on the road. They note that bmw has lost its way in its lust for luxury and sportiness has been sacrificed to the detrimient of the 5 series as we knew it.

Now only a few pages from this handed putdown of the F10 550i is the final analysis of their long term full year ownership of the e90 M3. This couldnt have been more of a nite and day story. You would almost not believe it was written about the same car company. In this final analysis, the e90 is praised as the perhaps hands down BEST all around car in the world. The superlatives go on and on about every feature imaginable, even wiping away their only gripe, the mpg efficiency which they ultimatly say is meaningless when compared to the "joy" that the car brought the staff over the year of ownership.

So here we have a description of what they call 'the best car in the world' and then a car that has lost its way, both in the same edition, so I dont think I can believe that they just "dont get it" with the F10, but have it exactly right on the M3 analysis.

Everything I've read or heard from those that either own the F10 550 or driven it for a mag seems to point to this similar theme, basically that the F10 is an overweight for its class, lost its bmw sportiness in exchange for luxury, and no direction in sight for the future. Contrasted with commentary on the board, I just dont understand what is the real story....soo, what is your opinion as an avid e60 owner and BMW loyalist, are we all missing the ball on the greatness of the F10 550, or did BMW miss it?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

</subscribed
Old 12-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
</subscribed
You do you know you can just click the subscribe button on the top... post whore... LOL
Old 12-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
You do you know you can just click the subscribe button on the top... post whore... LOL
you're still here?
Old 12-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

I hope Rudy didn't drink the F10 Kool-Aid.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo
I hope Rudy didn't drink the F10 Kool-Aid.

What are you talking about? ....Rudy OWNS a F10...if you didn't know.

BTW, I think you guys need to leave Rudy alone. If you do a search, he did post some favorable but brief comments about his F10 shortly after taking delivery. If he feels more comfortable about going into specifics, he'll do it in his own time.

But if you can't wait, go to a dealership, take a test drive, and see for yourself.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Let the games begin...

Can't wait.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Petes550i
What are you talking about? ....Rudy OWNS a F10...if you didn't know.

BTW, I think you guys need to leave Rudy alone. If you do a search, he did post some favorable but brief comments about his F10 shortly after taking delivery. If he feels more comfortable about going into specifics, he'll do it in his own time.

But if you can't wait, go to a dealership, take a test drive, and see for yourself.
If you can call "I'm thinking to leave performance out of the review altogether" favorable, guess it is clear why you love your F10 for friggin' much, plug-a-hole man
Old 12-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Rudy cannot post a full review till spring as he is on snow tires already. Have fun waiting all. Notwithstanding, he will be posting how nice the car feels from a comfort and technology standpoint. Too bad for the f10 detractors, myself included.

In meantime maybe someone can rate the bottom of the range f10 x-drive model for the board. Should interest 3% of the forum members and some Audi converts wondering if they made the right choice in getting the f10.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Contributors

Okay....I am definitely not Rudy however do consider myself an avid e60 owner and a BMW loyalist for many years.

Drove our new F10 550i M Sport to Bakersfield from the Bay Area this weekend (~550 miles round trip) and then drove our E60 today to the office (~80 mile round trip) and can honestly say I MUCH prefer the F10 for a number of reasons however I'm sure I skew more much older then the average age on this board.

Planning on doing a full debrief once I come up for air at work however in the meantime a CliffsNote version:

• Size
  • Comfort
  • Power
  • Transmission
  • Technology

Dislikes
  • Lack of exhaust note (growl) on the M Sport
  • Less Ultimate Driving Machine road feel

Bottom line and IMHO....the best BMW we have owned by far.

Quick Reply: Ok Rudy, TIMES UP!