F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Normal/Comfort, Sport, Sport+ Explained

Old 08-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First let me say, I love my new car!

After reading quite a lot about this in the forum I understand that there seem to be a little confusion about what is what and what it actually does. So, I'll try to compile some of the official information into something that is a little more understandable...I hope.
Click here to read my post about the different options

Dynamic Driving Control aka "The Buttons"
This is basically the buttons near the gear shifter that allows you to change on-the-fly how the car handles on the road - the driving characteristics of your car. Depending on the options you choose for your car the effect of these buttons changes.

There are three different modes: Normal, (Comfort), Sport and Sport+.
The Normal mode is replaced by Comfort mode if you have chosen option 223 - Dynamic Damper Control

Here's a brief explanation of each mode:

Normal - Well, not much to say here other than this is a comfort and fuel efficient orientated setting. Many would probably say that the car lacks the proper "feeling" with this setting - some throttle lag, soft in the steering. A kinda heavy and sluggish behaviour if you like. If you have tested a F10 in Normal/Comfort mode and thought it was sluggish and numb i strongly suggest that you pay another visit to your dealer for a new test drive - just remember to change it to SPORT mode

Comfort - As explained above, if you have chosen option 223 - Dynamic Damper Control this mode replaces the Normal mode, hence the COMFORT label on the button.
When the car is in Comfort mode the dampers are actively adjusted to make the ride as comfortable as possible.

Sport - This mode improves throttle response and gear shift timings, the steering response tightens and according to BMW the chassis is tightened too - even if you don't have active roll-bars! (But if you do have them, they do what they are meant to be doing - Anti Roll )
(You can change what will be affected in the iDrive)

Sport+ - If you push the SPORT button again the car enters Sport+ mode. This mode disable parts of the DSC allowing some drifting, within limits.

If you have option 2VA - Adaptive Drive all modes are ofcourse more precise and dynamic due to active components like active roll-bars and active dampers.

My personal note: I don't have option 2VA on my car but if I push the SPORT button it becomes a completely different car handling wise.

Note: Before you hang me for any misleading or maybe even wrong info please note that this is a compilation, put down in my own words, of BMW official info.
BTW Did I say that I love my new car?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:57 AM
Members

While the explanation is good, it's not quite correct.

When you have the DHP (ZDH) (which includes the 223 Dynamic Damper Control) then the Comfort button is 'added' and you have the choices (4) of Comfort-Normal-Sport-Sport+.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Those settings also impact engine responsiveness. The Comfort Setting makes the car float like a boat at sea down the highway, totally unlike a BMW.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tadtaggert
While the explanation is good, it's not quite correct.

When you have the DHP (ZDH) (which includes the 223 Dynamic Damper Control) then the Comfort button is 'added' and you have the choices (4) of Comfort-Normal-Sport-Sport+.
I stand corrected
Old 08-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Members

I didn't notice much difference in ride quality between the settings, but this might have been a matter of the roads I was able to test the car on. A more undulating road might have brought out the float.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Amen.

And +1 one to Scandic24 and tadtaggert.

This should be clear as crystal now.