F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

No MT for 550i?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1081274' date='Dec 29 2009, 01:20 PM
I don't see what pushing a clutch and shifting have to do with driving skills. Driving is much more than just shifting. It's about paying attention to your surroundings, it's about hard braking before entering the apex and knowing when and where to enter it. It's about steering yourself out of trouble and many things. Had the technology been in place, back in the day, they would have never made MT. Can you imagine an airplane pilot complaining that flying is not all that fun because he can't shift his airplane?

Heel and toe, rev matching, etc. were skills learned out of necessity to compensate for the shortcomings of earlier transmission/engine synchronization. They weren't skills learned for the hell of it. Today's MTs don't even require it any more, but people still do it because it gives them a feeling of superior driving skills. Whatever rocks their boat. That's silly. If people wanted to stay true to the motoring experience, they should clamor for crank handles to start their cars, or window handles to raise their windows or the little handle thing to operate their wipers. How about asking for actual candles for exterior lighting instead of HIDs, or a rubber bulb for horn?

Like it or not, this is progress. Today we have computers, but you can't say I am not a good typist because I don't have a handle to physically slide to the left to go to the beginning of the line. Some people still refuse to use computers (those are the ones who are being left behind) and look how well they are doing.......
Considering your name and my other set of wheels, I hate to so vehemently disagree with you, but no one said that driving is only shifting. For some of us, shifting is part of the enjoyment of driving - along with your points of paying attention, hard braking, etc. etc. And just because heal and toe and rev matching were learned out of necessity, doesn't make them any less of a skill. Riding a horse well is a skill, but hardly necessary anymore. But the real issue is thinking that a different perspective is "silly". That's just plain ignorant. Your perspective is valid. My perspective is equally valid.

btw, power boats were developed well after sail boats. But I still prefer to sail. Silly?
Old 12-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='1081309' date='Dec 29 2009, 02:34 PM
Considering your name and my other set of wheels, I hate to so vehemently disagree with you, but no one said that driving is only shifting. For some of us, shifting is part of the enjoyment of driving - along with your points of paying attention, hard braking, etc. etc. And just because heal and toe and rev matching were learned out of necessity, doesn't make them any less of a skill. Riding a horse well is a skill, but hardly necessary anymore. But the real issue is thinking that a different perspective is "silly". That's just plain ignorant. Your perspective is valid. My perspective is equally valid.

btw, power boats were developed well after sail boats. But I still prefer to sail. Silly?
Your point is well taken. My issue is with those who drive MTs and who put down other drivers for either not driving MT or for never driving a MT. THAT is really ignorant. Calling an argument silly based on personal experience does not make me ignorant. In fact, it makes me more qualified to call the argument silly since I've been on both sides of the equation.

It just means that I have those skills and CHOOSE not use them and arguing that I am not a good driver because I don't drive a MT is plain silly. Most people who criticize non-MT drivers have probably never driven an AT in full AT mode for very long because, if they did, they would know that it is very possible to be in the power band coming out of a turn just by gas pedal manipulation; it takes years to learn and perfect the skill (yes, it is a skill). AT driving is not about just pushing the gas pedal and going in a straight line. The good AT driver knows how to shift up or down without touching the gear shift. He/she knows how hard or soft to push the gas pedal to change gears. He/she knows how to rev the engine, even under load, so that the car ends up doing what he/she wants and not the other way around. Those who just press the gas pedal and keep it constant are the ones who do not have fun driving. Those of us who learned how to really drive an AT are having as much fun driving our ATs as we did driving our MTs minus the sciatic nerve pain.

Again, as terrible as I feel for those who still want MTs, the market has spoken and they are going the way of the dodos, even in Europe. I would suggest that people start embracing the technology and really learn how to drive with it in order to squeeze every last ounce of fun out of it.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1081357' date='Dec 29 2009, 03:45 PM
Your point is well taken. My issue is with those who still drive MTs and who put down other drivers for either not driving MT or for never driving a MT. THAT is really ignorant. Calling an argument silly based on personal experience does not make me ignorant. In fact, it makes me more qualified to call the argument silly since I've been on both sides of the equation.

It just means that I have those skills and CHOOSE not use them and arguing that I am not a good driver because I don't drive a MT is plain silly. Most people who criticize non-MT drivers have probably never driven an AT in full AT mode for very long because, if they did, they would know that it is very possible to be in the power band coming out of a turn just by gas pedal manipulation; it takes years to learn and perfect the skill (yes, it is a skill). AT driving is not about just pushing the gas pedal and going in a straight line. The good AT driver knows how to shift up or down without touching the gear shift. He/she knows how hard or soft to push the gas pedal to change gears. Those who just depress the gas pedal and keep it constant are the ones who do not have fun driving. Those of us who learned how to really drive an AT are having as much fun driving our ATs as we did driving our MTs minus the sciatic nerve pain. Again, as terrible as I feel for those who still want MTs, the market has spoken and they are going the way of the dodos, even in Europe. I would suggest that people start embracing the technology and really learn how to drive with it in order to squeeze every last ounce of fun out of it.
Done.

I have no issues with those who chose to drive ATs and am just looking for the same in return. I agree that MTs are going the way of the dodo, but I'll continue to enjoy them as long as BMW keeps making them. I feel like those guys who prefer a station wagen rather than a SUV/SAV/PAV/whatever. It's hard for a company to justify designing and manufacturing a vehicle for niche markets. I don't like, but I get it and respect it.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545 BLK/BLK
Model Year: 2005

I drove an automatic for years. And years. LOL. And once I started driving a 5 speed, I was hooked, and never want to go back. It's just a difference driving experience. Not saying that it's better or worse, just different. And a difference that I enjoy. That's why I plan on holding on to my 05 6spd 545 until it just won't run anymore.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Any one know how much Sport Auto is? I don't see any reason why their would be a standard auto unless it cost a ton more $$$ to produce...