F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

New F11 520d Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Long time visitor first time poster

Just wanted to share my excitment as I ordered last week a new 520d Touring.

The main specs are:

Havana Brown
Black Dekota Leather
Antracite Wood Inlay
Shadowline headliner
Panorama Sunroof
Nav Professional with 6FL Commbox setting and Bluetooth
Rear seat entertainment professional
Surround View
Head up display
8 speed sports automatic with M-Sport packet steering wheel.
Automatic boot

Anyway slot is planned for mid October delivery in BMW Welt, Munich.

I am of course excited and second questioning all my selections - like will it be too dark inside - Do I need tinted windows at the rear etc.

I am excited and look forward to reading more info on here before the big day and the delivery (I will of course take photots and post them after the event).

I do have a question regarding the size of wheels for optimal handling and comfort though that maybe someone here can help with.

I have ordered the car with the V-328 18" wheels which will come with summer tires - I am thinking of driving these for a month or so and then changing the tyres on them to non run flat winter tyres and using them as my winter wheels and then in Apri/Mayl next year buying a set of BMW V-356 Bi-Colour wheels and putting my own non run flat rubber on them for summer.

Does anyone know if a repair kit is availble from BMW for people who wish to use non Run Flat tyres on their F10/F11's?

Also can someone recommend a good winter and summer tyre - as the 520d max speed is 220 KPH a V speed rating is fine.

Cheers and thanks for the help,
D.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TheIrishMan
Does anyone know if a repair kit is availble from BMW for people who wish to use non Run Flat tyres on their F10/F11's?
Get the BMW Mobility Kit with with an 12V air compressor and some repair fluid. All packed in a neat bag.
Costs around ?100.

BTW Congrats to your new car
Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

Originally Posted by TheIrishMan
Hi All,

Long time visitor first time poster

Just wanted to share my excitment as I ordered last week a new 520d Touring.

The main specs are:

Havana Brown
Black Dekota Leather
Antracite Wood Inlay
Shadowline headliner
Panorama Sunroof
Nav Professional with 6FL Commbox setting and Bluetooth
Rear seat entertainment professional
Surround View
Head up display
8 speed sports automatic with M-Sport packet steering wheel.
Automatic boot

Anyway slot is planned for mid October delivery in BMW Welt, Munich.

I am of course excited and second questioning all my selections - like will it be too dark inside - Do I need tinted windows at the rear etc.

I am excited and look forward to reading more info on here before the big day and the delivery (I will of course take photots and post them after the event).

I do have a question regarding the size of wheels for optimal handling and comfort though that maybe someone here can help with.

I have ordered the car with the V-328 18" wheels which will come with summer tires - I am thinking of driving these for a month or so and then changing the tyres on them to non run flat winter tyres and using them as my winter wheels and then in Apri/Mayl next year buying a set of BMW V-356 Bi-Colour wheels and putting my own non run flat rubber on them for summer.

Also can someone recommend a good winter and summer tyre - as the 520d max speed is 220 KPH a V speed rating is fine.

Cheers and thanks for the help,
D.
I would suggest upgrading the sound to HiFi or HiFi Professional as you have ordered the 6FL interface for mp3 players. It's a real difference from the standard speaker sets.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530iA 04

Is it M-pack now that expensive? And why no ParkDistanceControl? Shadowline Trim?
Also i would spend this 1.5 k eur for PanoramaRoof on much more interesting options.
Do I need tinted windows at the rear-yes!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Members

Hi All,

I have taken the Hi-Fi Professional option as well as full camera package including Park Assist.

M-Sport packet I do not want as I do not like it so much and I would prefer to have Havana Brown paint.

I have choosen the silver alu satin exterior for both the rails and around the doors as this matches the car colour better than the shadowline alternative I think.

Thanks for the tip on the BMW Mobility Kit will get this.

The Panorama roof was a requirement from my Daughter (as was the rear seat entertainment) so I guess she can choose to look out at the clouds (read rain) or watch a DVD / listen to her MP3's

@protams: I am worried with tinted windows at the rear and given that I have Antracite wood inlay, black dekota leather and shadowline antracite headliner it will be too dark in the back. And with sun visors in the rear the sun should stay away enough to not bother anybody sat in the rear in the summer months. If I lived in California and had sun most days of the year I would defo go for the tinted option but with the European seasons I think it would be too dark for too many months of the year.

Thanks for all the replies.

D.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:42 AM
Senior Members

Regarding tinted windows, my current E61 (touring) has tinted rear windows and I'm living far up north with all the darkness .
Trust me when I say that you will not notice that the rear windows are tinted looking from the inside - but looking from the outside you certainly will.
The major upside for tinted windows is that it prevents people who are just walking by to see what you may have lying around in the backseat. At night you won't be able to look inside the car at all...unless you have a flashlight

my 2 cents
Old 07-29-2010, 07:07 AM
Members

Dealer just called and said that the appointment for collection in BMW welt is October 17th.

If I change my order now (have 1 week to do so) it will push the delivery out a month, so unless those tinted windows are really cool I am going to have to stick with my original configuration as a month is a long time to wait just for additional tinted windows.

I do hear you though that the security aspect is also a consideration, also given that I am getting the Rear Seat Entertainment perhaps this is a good idea.

What do others think? Tinted or not - remembering the inside colour choices (Black Dakota, Fineline Antracite Wood Inlay and Shadowline headliner) allbeit with a nice big sunroof for some light.....

Thoughts?

D
Old 07-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

For your tyres Iwould recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric. Good luck .
Old 07-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Scandic24
Get the BMW Mobility Kit with with an 12V air compressor and some repair fluid. All packed in a neat bag.
Costs around ?100.
+ 1.

There's only a small space fore it.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

Originally Posted by Scandic24
Regarding tinted windows, my current E61 (touring) has tinted rear windows and I'm living far up north with all the darkness .
Trust me when I say that you will not notice that the rear windows are tinted looking from the inside - but looking from the outside you certainly will.
The major upside for tinted windows is that it prevents people who are just walking by to see what you may have lying around in the backseat. At night you won't be able to look inside the car at all...unless you have a flashlight

my 2 cents
Agree. I have tinted rear windows on my 120dM and they look really dark from the outside but from the inside it's fine and not to dark at all. I am thinking about ordering tinted windows for my new F11 as well.