F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Motor Trend: 2011 535i vs. 2011 E350

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

Not surprising who wins here given the weaker engine in the Benz.

What is surprising is what the reviewer mentions about the F10....that is, the total OPPOSITE of what was said in last month's C&D comparison.......the F10 this time around is described in Motor Trend as being "lighter, sharper, and more nimble......steering feedback seems closer to the benchmark E39." (see page 5). Now the test car in this comparison has Active Steering (in addition to the Sports Package and Dynamic Handling) so that may or may not been a factor. Nevetheless, this is just another example why you can't read too much into one review. Ultimately, the only review that really matters is yours....after you test-drive one of course.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by Petes550i

Ultimately, the only review that really matters is yours....after you test-drive one of course.
I couldn't agree more. There is too much hand wringing when a less than glowing review comes out. The reviewer that I respect the most is me. When BMW comes out with a new from the ground up, innovative iteration of the 5er, there will always many new cool features and ideas. And then there will be some things that are less than perfect. Overall BMW did a great job with the F10.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

http://www.motortren...ison/index.html

What is surprising is what the reviewer mentions about the F10....that is, the total OPPOSITE of what was said in last month's C&D comparison.......the F10 this time around is described in Motor Trend as being "lighter, sharper, and more nimble......steering feedback seems closer to the benchmark E39." (see page 5). Now the test car in this comparison has Active Steering (in addition to the Sports Package and Dynamic Handling) so that may or may not been a factor. Nevetheless, this is just another example why you can't read too much into one review. Ultimately, the only review that really matters is yours....after you test-drive one of course.
funny, I said the same thing recently in another thread...

https://5series.net/forums/topic/102...st__p__1226639

Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
funny, I said the same thing recently in another thread...
https://5series.net/forums/topic/102...st__p__1226639
Funny, that the mag can even try to compare two similar cars -
one with winter tires and the other one with summers??

Anyone remember this conversation?
"In Europe, where there are too many governments for oil-industry lobbyists to effectively stonewall clean-fuels legislation, the gasoline is sufficiently free of sulfur to permit direct-injection gas engines to run lean, using a special de-NOx catalyst (which would be poisoned by our dirty gasoline). Hence the Euro-spec E350 CGI produces 20 more horsepower and 11 pound-feet more twist than our stoichiometric version can."
Old 08-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

When a Benz starts outdriving a Bimmer, its time to sell BMW stock and jump out the window. I've read other reviews that generally conclude all the handling gadgets are necessary for the F10 to its benchmark self in the handling department. IMHO A base model is probably a disaster trying to cope with the 4300 lbs. The base certainly looks like a disaster.

The main competitor will be the new A6. This will be the interesting comparo and I hope the F10 prevails.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I don't know. When we did the Ultimate Drive @ my dealership I thought that the handling and design of the 535i greatly out classed both the E350 and the A6. Without exception, every customer who drove the three back to back agreed. There really is very little comparison.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ
I don't know. When we did the Ultimate Drive @ my dealership I thought that the handling and design of the 535i greatly out classed both the E350 and the A6. Without exception, every customer who drove the three back to back agreed. There really is very little comparison.
at the UDE at your dealership I'm assuming it was the previous A6 and not the refreshed version...correct..
Old 08-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
at the UDE at your dealership I'm assuming it was the previous A6 and not the refreshed version...correct..

What do you mean by the "refreshed" version?.....the next-gen A6 isn't even out yet. The current version is already a few years old.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan
When a Benz starts outdriving a Bimmer, its time to sell BMW stock and jump out the window. I've read other reviews that generally conclude all the handling gadgets are necessary for the F10 to its benchmark self in the handling department. IMHO A base model is probably a disaster trying to cope with the 4300 lbs. The base certainly looks like a disaster.

The main competitor will be the new A6. This will be the interesting comparo and I hope the F10 prevails.

The base F10 doesn't weigh 4300 lbs (that's the 550i)....more like 3800-3900 lbs. However, even the new 535i to me still seems a little bit underpowered given the overall mass. (But C&D last month clocked the 535i going from 0-60 in 5.4 sec so that's still pretty decent).

But I gotta say, if you want the best enjoyment possible in the F10, nothing less than the V8 will do.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

What do you mean by the "refreshed" version?.....the next-gen A6 isn't even out yet. The current version is already a few years old.
that's exactly what I meant, the new A6 is not even out yet...Jeff mentioned how the f10 out performed the A6 during the UDE his dealership held...but that's the old A6, not the new one...

I was eluding to what CVTBenhogan was saying..

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan

Quick Reply: Motor Trend: 2011 535i vs. 2011 E350