F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

It's official...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

C, did you drive one yet? What did you think?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Rudy
C, did you drive one yet? What did you think?
I didn't get a chance today, as planned.

For me, the decision will be whether I want a more refined driving experience or raw experience...
Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
Tony - I don't think my RAD's will work on the F10, which kind of stinks. The offsets on the 172's on the 550 E60 are ET18 in the front and ET32 in the rear. The offsets on the 351's on the F10 (Rudy's wheels), are ET33 in the front and ET44 in the rear.
f10 offsets are pretty high compared to e60's.. RWD f10's are closer to e60 xi offsets...
Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Contributors

I like them a lot, but I'm wondering if my R10's would work on the F10?

Please, for shits and giggles, test fit the Rads on the F10 when you get one. Shoot.. I'd be interested in seeing what my LM's or 593RS's look on an F10.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

C, funny you posted this thread - I was coming back from a skiing trip today and saw an F10 on the road, and thought to myself "what a great-looking car!" I caught on to it's looks really quickly, I think. What kind of deters me is the price vs. the driving experience - if it can't pull higher g's than the E60, why would someone pay more? - that sort of thing. But I think LCI is where its at for me, personally. You're rich, so you can swing the bigger payment though

Originally Posted by geobmw
Smart decision. Who's next? v_therussian?
One foot in it already LOL I never really hated it - I love the looks and the interior is great. It is the handling limits that insult me, so I bitch about it plenty. Like I said above, I just don't understand why I would pay so much more to get a car that handles worse. That said, I - of course - realize that you get more toys and there are lots of other benefits.

Originally Posted by tonymac
I might get a prius...
You might get bitch-slapped!

I just built a 550i M Sport in AW with the 20" Ferric Grey 312 wheels. I think this looks stunning!

The only mods that I would do are as follows:
  • High Gloss Black Kidney Grills
  • 35% Tint
  • Dinan Tune
  • Wheel Spacers
  • Paint the front yellow reflectors AW

A 2 year lease and look to move into the new M5 after it's been out for 18+ months. Very tempting...

IMHO numbers are still INSANE for the F10...

Originally Posted by poleposition
I think its a great move. Dump the M. This new 550 with a Dinan tune will be just as fast. Maybe not as violent or track ready but definitely just as fast. You'll be primed and ready to go 2 yrs down the road for the new M. The price will have come down by then. Any kinks will have been sorted and you'll know exactly what mods you'll want as enough time will have passed that all the tuners will be in full swing with F10 M5 parts.
Well put. As always.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Contributors

Exactly! Now it just depends on what kind of lease deals there are. Currently, on a 24 month lease with 10K miles, residual is 62% and the MF is .00185. I need to get the price of the car as close to invoice as possible for this to work. It's going to be hard justifiying $1300/month on a 550 when my M5 is $1100...
I know you don't want to, but your M5 is a real classic, C - if you can keep it for good somehow, you definitely should. This M5 will be THE classic M5 of future, I think... then again, it's price will surely bottom out in a couple of years too.

I'm going to call him in an hour. I'll let you know what he says, but I think it's going to be pretty positive since John came from the E60 M5 as well.

I'm going to test drive the car tomorrow and run some numbers with my dealer, so I should know for sure by then. Stay tuned...

I didn't get a chance today, as planned.

For me, the decision will be whether I want a more refined driving experience or raw experience...
Would love to see what you have to say. All BS aside, as the grand-daddy of driving meets, your approval would mean a whole lot. Yes, even to me Just hope it doesn't take you as long to write the short synopsis on F10's handling as it is taking Rudy
Old 02-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by poleposition
I think its a great move. Dump the M. This new 550 with a Dinan tune will be just as fast. Maybe not as violent or track ready but definitely just as fast. You'll be primed and ready to go 2 yrs down the road for the new M. The price will have come down by then. Any kinks will have been sorted and you'll know exactly what mods you'll want as enough time will have passed that all the tuners will be in full swing with F10 M5 parts.
I can agree the 550 might not be as "violent and track ready" as your current E60 C, but that's not really a fair comparison. When comparing your M5 with mods (including KWs) to the 550 I think you kind of have to give the F10 the benefit of the doubt a little. It's not an M5 (yet). I'd be very interested to read an F10 owner's review of the car with coilovers on it. THAT would be a much more reasonable comparison.
Remember, if we thought our E60's had "perfect" handling, why would we put coilovers on them?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
I can agree the 550 might not be as "violent and track ready" as your current E60 C, but that's not really a fair comparison. When comparing your M5 with mods (including KWs) to the 550 I think you kind of have to give the F10 the benefit of the doubt a little. It's not an M5 (yet). I'd be very interested to read an F10 owner's review of the car with coilovers on it. THAT would be a much more reasonable comparison.
Remember, if we thought our E60's had "perfect" handling, why would we put coilovers on them?
John, E60 does have better weight distribution, lower center of gravity (correct me if I'm wrong on this one, people), not to mention significantly lower curb weight. All of this produces better objective handling results - g forces, lane change speeds etc. When it comes to personal preferences, it is quite apparent that the F10 owners LOVE it. Which, as you implied, should be enough to at least be interested in testing an F10.

PS I'm convinced that an updated F10 will BLOW E60 away on the objective numbers as well - whether it will happen at LCI or BMW will tweak it mid-production year, I'm sure it is coming. Not to mention, the tire technology is advancing very quickly - it is not inconceivable that the standard tires on the F10 M5 will be able to pull 1g+ turns!