F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Interior view

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by higher' post='1059647' date='Nov 21 2009, 08:23 AM
Now I know this will be a little offensive, but any company knows that there is a higher proportion of ?intellectually? challenged population in the US than in Europe or Asia Pacific (not my opinion, but statistically true). But the US is also the largest market for BMW so this can often result in a ?dumbed down? design philosophy. That is what we are seeing here.
Wow, what a silly statement. :thumbsdown: As I understand it, Canada gets the same "dumbed down" versions we get in the US and clearly you prove why Canada gets those versions as well...
Old 11-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by higher' post='1059647' date='Nov 21 2009, 09:23 AM
The problem here is that some people who own BMW’s, and other cars are….how can I say this politely…’Intellectually challenged ‘.

They have trouble even with the basics like engaging ‘drive’ so complex design features and technical advances are wasted on these morons.

Myself, I have a very high level of education and intellectual capacity so the more complexity and design niches the better.

Imagine being a BMW engineer trying to design an interior for that broad spread of customers.

Now I know this will be a little offensive, but any company knows that there is a higher proportion of ‘intellectually’ challenged population in the US than in Europe or Asia Pacific (not my opinion, but statistically true). But the US is also the largest market for BMW so this can often result in a ‘dumbed down’ design philosophy. That is what we are seeing here.
I bet your so intellectual that you drink 100-year-old cognac while sitting by the computer and enlightening us with your intellectual presence.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Based on the spelling errors in some of his other posts, I hope he's not planning on elightening us with his spelling expertise...
Old 11-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Contributors

Basic life principle: There is a difference between quantity of education and intelligence.

Some of the smartest people I know never went to college; some of the dumbest have a master's hanging on their office wall.

Anyone who feels the need to brag that they are highly educated, smarter than the average bear, etc. is more often than not dealing with personal insecurities. It is the same as bragging about one's wealth; never welcomed nor respected by anyone.

A large percentage of BMW's US buyers are college educated and/or owners/leaders of their business, and have higher than average income levels. All luxury makes design and engineer their cars for those who will purchase them firsthand, and they could care less about the profiles of those who buy them after that when they're worth a fraction of their initial value. The average 'blue collar' worker doesn't walk into a BMW dealership and drive out with a $40,000 to $100,000+ automobile.

The only options currently unavailable to BMW's US market are limited to 1) 'green' related engineering that is either not certified here due to regulations or considered impractical for the majority of our driving environments, 2) engine choices, again because of regulations and the costs to certify vs. likelihood of potential profits, and 3) cosmetic. Most of these differences, including others that don't fit into the above parameters, are more about simple economics than the intelligence or lack thereof of a country's citizenry, and the US is not alone regarding a more limited options list from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.

BMW introduced the iDrive concept years ago with the goal of removing buttons from the dashboard and placing everything the driver might need via a 'simple' display screen. The designs that followed were definitely 'cleaner' but definitely less helpful, and BMW has wisely listened to its consumers regardless of where they are from. For example, if I'm using my Navigation screen and want to listen to a different radio station, why should I have to 1) Depress a large knob on my console, 2) turn it to select entertainment, 3) depress it again, 4) turn said knob to the desired saved station (which I have to look at instead of feel), and 5) depress knob again when all I should have to do is click a dashboard button once. Providing a few buttons for saved radio stations, for example, is based on listening not dumbing down. They experimented, observed, and then improved, just like any other successful company.

Regarding the new 5's interior: Anyone who has sat in the new 7 or 5GT will tell you that you have NOTHING to worry about. It's going to be beautiful, more luxurious, and made of higher quality materials. I feel like a kid counting down the days to Christmas -- it's just as painful now as it was years ago!
Old 11-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Excellent reply on all points.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='1059929' date='Nov 21 2009, 09:17 PM
Basic life principle: There is a difference between quantity of education and intelligence.

Some of the smartest people I know never went to college; some of the dumbest have a master's hanging on their office wall.

Anyone who feels the need to brag that they are highly educated, smarter than the average bear, etc. is more often than not dealing with personal insecurities. It is the same as bragging about one's wealth; never welcomed nor respected by anyone.

A large percentage of BMW's US buyers are college educated and/or owners/leaders of their business, and have higher than average income levels. All luxury makes design and engineer their cars for those who will purchase them firsthand, and they could care less about the profiles of those who buy them after that when they're worth a fraction of their initial value. The average 'blue collar' worker doesn't walk into a BMW dealership and drive out with a $40,000 to $100,000+ automobile.

The only options currently unavailable to BMW's US market are limited to 1) 'green' related engineering that is either not certified here due to regulations or considered impractical for the majority of our driving environments, 2) engine choices, again because of regulations and the costs to certify vs. likelihood of potential profits, and 3) cosmetic. Most of these differences, including others that don't fit into the above parameters, are more about simple economics than the intelligence or lack thereof of a country's citizenry, and the US is not alone regarding a more limited options list from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.

BMW introduced the iDrive concept years ago with the goal of removing buttons from the dashboard and placing everything the driver might need via a 'simple' display screen. The designs that followed were definitely 'cleaner' but definitely less helpful, and BMW has wisely listened to its consumers regardless of where they are from. For example, if I'm using my Navigation screen and want to listen to a different radio station, why should I have to 1) Depress a large knob on my console, 2) turn it to select entertainment, 3) depress it again, 4) turn said knob to the desired saved station (which I have to look at instead of feel), and 5) depress knob again when all I should have to do is click a dashboard button once. Providing a few buttons for saved radio stations, for example, is based on listening not dumbing down. They experimented, observed, and then improved, just like any other successful company.

Regarding the new 5's interior: Anyone who has sat in the new 7 or 5GT will tell you that you have NOTHING to worry about. It's going to be beautiful, more luxurious, and made of higher quality materials. I feel like a kid counting down the days to Christmas -- it's just as painful now as it was years ago!
Great reply.
Are you guys ready? 23rd is tomorrow.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

Guy, guys, llike I said my original post had you taken the time to read it fully "this is not my personal opinion" just fact.

Example; China producing more university graduates (mostly electronic / structural engineering) in one month, than US / Europe do in one year.

Chindian power (China / India) is gonna rule the world before you know it and then we'll all be driving cars deisgned for Chinese and Indian tastes.

You may be offended by this, but thinking you can deny it by posting a cocky reply to my post is simply putting you head in the sand.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by higher' post='1060406' date='Nov 22 2009, 06:42 PM
Guy, guys, llike I said my original post had you taken the time to read it fully "this is not my personal opinion" just fact.

Example; China producing more university graduates (mostly electronic / structural engineering) in one month, than US / Europe do in one year.

Chindian power (China / India) is gonna rule the world before you know it and then we'll all be driving cars deisgned for Chinese and Indian tastes.

You may be offended by this, but thinking you can deny it by posting a cocky reply to my post is simply putting you head in the sand.
Higher, you present no facts to back up your original post. And we did read the post, you said "there is a higher proportion of ?intellectually? challenged population in the US than in Europe or Asia Pacific (not my opinion, but statistically true)". The fact that China graduates more people from university is a totally separate issue and does not mean that China has a higher or lower proportion of ?intellectually? challenged.

China is clearly a growing power that the world needs to pay attention to but again that has nothing with your original assertion...
Old 11-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Great post, 06530-6M. Agree on all points.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Members

My Ride: My Ride: E60 523i 2006 Exterior: Titanium gray / 19" (8.5) star spoke 128 wheels tire size (245/35) ///M5 Kit. Interior: Beige Dakota Leather with Dark Poplar Wood Trim Equipment: Xenon Headlights / Bluetooth / i pod / Sunroof / Rear blinds / PDC.

Very good post 06530-6M

Quick Reply: Interior view