F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F10 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi bravojs, thanks for the feedback. I think PML messed up my order. SE told me car delivery end of Sep. Really frustrating to have to wait so long.

Originally Posted by bravojs
Hi Kiasu King,

I do not have IAS as my is stock HL specs. But I can tell you that IAS will definately be useful as the F10's turning radius is rather large. I have encountered difficulty making U-turns at some tight junctions. No issue in the past with the E60. I m sure IAS will solve this small problem.

As for the radio static, i ll leave it to the next service to see what can be done.

BTW when is your car arriving?
Old 08-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Members

Hi bimmernic, congrats on your new ride which you are obviously enjoying very much and made the right choice on the options. Excellent review of your initial impression driving it.

Originally Posted by bimmernic
Hi all

Collected my car last Saturday. 523 but added the Sports Auto Transmission (2T, Sports leather steering wheel/paddles (255), Hi Fi Professional (677) and the M-Sport suspension (677). Drove to Hurry Tyres from PML Bukit Timah immediately thereafter and swapped the standard 17" RFTs for 18" 328 wheels with GY F1 Assymetric non-RFTs. LTA required the car to be homologated since the M-Sport suspension is not on any of the standard trims from PML.

Have not had a chance to really stretch the car but brief impressions follow.

At the risk of hyperbole, the M-Sport suspension transforms the car . There is minimal body roll (but enough to inform you that you are cornering fast) and pitch and roll is non-existent. The ride is firm but still comfortable, with road imperfections occasionally heard rather than felt. Initially, this felt weird when I was trying out that section of Alexendra Road (lanes 1 & 2) between River Valley Road and Tanglin Road, with its raised manhole covers, uneven road surface and patches. When I tested PML's 523 (17" wheels) and 535 (18" wheels) on the standard suspension, the cars would crash and thump quite noticeably on bumps and ruts - not quite what I was expecting from a BMW. The springs on the standard suspension appear to be too soft given the weight of the car. Also, when making the U-turn at the Holiday Inn Atrium junction, there was, surprisingly, lots of body roll on both test cars.

Happily, these issues appear to have been eliminated with the M-Sport suspension. Whether the 18" non-RFTs played a key part in the improvement, I can't tell, but they would not have had an impact on the body roll. However, the 17" RFTs on my car felt very comfortable when I drove it to Hurry Tyre.

For me, the M-Sport suspension really adds to the sporty driving experience and is, perhaps, a more cost effective option than dynamic damping control. While I understand that the M-Sport is tuned to be in between the Normal and Sports setting of the dynamic damping control, the key here may be the thicker anti-roll bars (and possibly higher spec bushings).

The difference between the standard and M-Sport suspension mirrors my experience when I tested the 3-series coupes (325 on 17" wheels and standard suspension and 335 on 18" wheels) on Rifle Range Road, with the standard suspension being somewhat soft and wallowy with noticeable body roll and the M-sport suspension being more firm with less roll and much better body control.

As for the steering, the 2TB option does appear to be beneficial to the weight and feel of the car. When I tested the standard steering on PML's 523 (base), it felt disconnected, very light and lacking in feel. For lack of a better word, it felt artificial. The steering really didn't inspire confidence. Perhaps it was due to the servotronic kicking in at low speeds but the steering on my car on its Normal setting is heavier even at parking speeds. The steering on the 535 was much better, even on the Normal setting. There does not appear to be any information on whether the steering on the Normal setting on the 2TB is the same as the standard steering but it certainly feels different, and better. Having said that, it could also be due to difference in the wheel sizes (17" vs 18").

Its surprising how a 2.5L, 204Bhp/250Nm engine can hustle the car along but it really needs revs to get up to speed. There is some lag in the throttle response and nothing much happens below about 2,000 rpm . Once you get into the powerband, its quite easy to exceed the speed limit since the sensation of speed is not quite apparent, in a good way, due to the refined way that it handles speed. There is little road noise and, due to the high gearing, engine noise. My passengers perceive the speed to be lower than it is . Will probably chip up the engine at some stage, if only to get rid of the lag in throttle response and to increase the low end torque.

BTW, when taking collection, do take time to check the paintwork on the car as well as the rims. Mine had two sections where dust particles appeared to have been trapped beneath the paint - looks like raised dots. PML offered to respray the section but I don't think that I will go for that since it will involve stripping down the factory paint and I have this fear of a paint mismatch and, in any case, the dots can be mistaken for metallic paint flakes in bright sunlight. Saw this on some other units at the delivery centre as well. Ask for a LED torchlight to do the inspection. Also, when I changed my rims, there was one piece with a similar issue - a raised dot.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:56 AM
Members

My Ride: F10 and W204

Mine just came last week. Since I'm indonesian, I would like to know more where can I modofied my F10 in Singapore.
I'm still looking for some body kits, and 21" rims. I wish I can hooked up with other F10 owners in Singapore for chit chat.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Members

Great write up!

I collected my 523 HL last Friday. So far the experience has been very good. The ride is well cushioned (though not soft like M except when there is pronoun uneveness or hole on the road. The bump felt harder than my old E60. Strange. Not sure if this is because of the 18" RFT tire.

My main complaint is the throttle lag when trying to drive off from standstill. The car hardly moved when I gently step on the pedal. It jerked forward when I stepped harder. Something is not quite right. See thread below:-

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417714

It seems PML is aware of issue. Suggest you contact your SA.

Hi all

Collected my car last Saturday. 523 but added the Sports Auto Transmission (2T, Sports leather steering wheel/paddles (255), Hi Fi Professional (677) and the M-Sport suspension (677). Drove to Hurry Tyres from PML Bukit Timah immediately thereafter and swapped the standard 17" RFTs for 18" 328 wheels with GY F1 Assymetric non-RFTs. LTA required the car to be homologated since the M-Sport suspension is not on any of the standard trims from PML.

Have not had a chance to really stretch the car but brief impressions follow.

At the risk of hyperbole, the M-Sport suspension transforms the car . There is minimal body roll (but enough to inform you that you are cornering fast) and pitch and roll is non-existent. The ride is firm but still comfortable, with road imperfections occasionally heard rather than felt. Initially, this felt weird when I was trying out that section of Alexendra Road (lanes 1 & 2) between River Valley Road and Tanglin Road, with its raised manhole covers, uneven road surface and patches. When I tested PML's 523 (17" wheels) and 535 (18" wheels) on the standard suspension, the cars would crash and thump quite noticeably on bumps and ruts - not quite what I was expecting from a BMW. The springs on the standard suspension appear to be too soft given the weight of the car. Also, when making the U-turn at the Holiday Inn Atrium junction, there was, surprisingly, lots of body roll on both test cars.

Happily, these issues appear to have been eliminated with the M-Sport suspension. Whether the 18" non-RFTs played a key part in the improvement, I can't tell, but they would not have had an impact on the body roll. However, the 17" RFTs on my car felt very comfortable when I drove it to Hurry Tyre.

For me, the M-Sport suspension really adds to the sporty driving experience and is, perhaps, a more cost effective option than dynamic damping control. While I understand that the M-Sport is tuned to be in between the Normal and Sports setting of the dynamic damping control, the key here may be the thicker anti-roll bars (and possibly higher spec bushings).

The difference between the standard and M-Sport suspension mirrors my experience when I tested the 3-series coupes (325 on 17" wheels and standard suspension and 335 on 18" wheels) on Rifle Range Road, with the standard suspension being somewhat soft and wallowy with noticeable body roll and the M-sport suspension being more firm with less roll and much better body control.

As for the steering, the 2TB option does appear to be beneficial to the weight and feel of the car. When I tested the standard steering on PML's 523 (base), it felt disconnected, very light and lacking in feel. For lack of a better word, it felt artificial. The steering really didn't inspire confidence. Perhaps it was due to the servotronic kicking in at low speeds but the steering on my car on its Normal setting is heavier even at parking speeds. The steering on the 535 was much better, even on the Normal setting. There does not appear to be any information on whether the steering on the Normal setting on the 2TB is the same as the standard steering but it certainly feels different, and better. Having said that, it could also be due to difference in the wheel sizes (17" vs 18").

Its surprising how a 2.5L, 204Bhp/250Nm engine can hustle the car along but it really needs revs to get up to speed. There is some lag in the throttle response and nothing much happens below about 2,000 rpm . Once you get into the powerband, its quite easy to exceed the speed limit since the sensation of speed is not quite apparent, in a good way, due to the refined way that it handles speed. There is little road noise and, due to the high gearing, engine noise. My passengers perceive the speed to be lower than it is . Will probably chip up the engine at some stage, if only to get rid of the lag in throttle response and to increase the low end torque.

BTW, when taking collection, do take time to check the paintwork on the car as well as the rims. Mine had two sections where dust particles appeared to have been trapped beneath the paint - looks like raised dots. PML offered to respray the section but I don't think that I will go for that since it will involve stripping down the factory paint and I have this fear of a paint mismatch and, in any case, the dots can be mistaken for metallic paint flakes in bright sunlight. Saw this on some other units at the delivery centre as well. Ask for a LED torchlight to do the inspection. Also, when I changed my rims, there was one piece with a similar issue - a raised dot.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2005 BMW 523i

Hi Guys,

Another thing to add, if you feel the ride is a little too "harsh" or hard, try checking the tire pressure. When the car was delivered the tire pressure was about 270 kpa Rear, 250 kpa at the front. This might be a little too high for most of us. BMW's recommended pressure of about 230kpa Front and 250Kpa rear would ensure a sligtly more compliant ride.

Nevertheless, the RFT will never give a ride comfort level equivalent to that of non-RFTs. I personally do not believe mobility kits are of much use , and the lack of a spare wheel well compounds the problem. We are pretty much left with no choice but to stick with RFT for the moment
Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by oZZo
Great write up!

I collected my 523 HL last Friday. So far the experience has been very good. The ride is well cushioned (though not soft like M except when there is pronoun uneveness or hole on the road. The bump felt harder than my old E60. Strange. Not sure if this is because of the 18" RFT tire.

My main complaint is the throttle lag when trying to drive off from standstill. The car hardly moved when I gently step on the pedal. It jerked forward when I stepped harder. Something is not quite right. See thread below:-

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417714

It seems PML is aware of issue. Suggest you contact your SA.
Thanks! Seems like the standard suspension may be too soft for the weight of the car - that was my experience when I tested the PML cars, although I did not test the 523 HL. Were you using 18" RFTs on your old E60 or 17s"? Might make a difference, even if the profile is the same.

Will monitor the situation further before I bring it in to rectify the throttle lag. Its rather difficult to meter the power progressively, especially when overtaking. Nearly gave me a scare when I switched lanes with an idiotic van driver who continued to accelerate despite (a) early signaling and (b) ample distance between the two of us. I usually end up having use full throttle then quickly lift off once the power kicks in.

Interestingly, with the 2TB option, the Sport mode gives me the throttle response that I am used to. The only downside is (duh ) it holds on to the lower gear and changes up/down at a higher engine speed. Configuring Sport mode for chassis only (instead of chassis and transmission) appears to get rid of the throttle lag but the response is still not as snappy as full Sport mode. However, the pedal resistance is increased, and necessitates more pressure with my right foot, which can be quite tiring when one wishes for more relaxed drive but without the throttle lag.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Thanks! Seems like the standard suspension may be too soft for the weight of the car - that was my experience when I tested the PML cars, although I did not test the 523 HL. Were you using 18" RFTs on your old E60 or 17s"? Might make a difference, even if the profile is the same.
I would say that the standard suspension is not too soft, but it's of course a matter of personal likings.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Members

Hi, I have been playing around with the Normal/Sport settings and, voila, there is a small but discernable difference in the suspension damping between the Sport and Normal modes. In Sport, the ride gets more "jittery" (you can feel the road imperfections more) and the damping is harder, giving the sensation of a tighter chassis. Initially, I thought that it was a placebo effect from the transmission configured for Sport mode. However, when configured for "chassis" only on the i-Drive, changes on the fly between the Sport/Normal modes can certainly be felt. How this is possible boggles me and I have no idea if its due to the Dynamic Driving Control or the M-Sport suspension.

See also the posts from Robin Hood below (and the reference to Skipper's post in the Dutch BMW forum):

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403008

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405658

What is puzzling is that if the M-Sport suspension on the F10 does have an EDC function, like the M-Sport suspension on the Z4, surely this would have been publicised?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:39 AM
Members

I was on 17" previously. It did not occur to me that the strong bump and loud sound is due to soft suspension.

The throttle lag is really quite troublesome especially during this run in period when I am trying to keep the RPM low.

Do you know if there is any difference in the throttle response between switching to Sports mode on the DDC versus selecting DS using the gear lever?

Will monitor the situation further before I bring it in to rectify the throttle lag. Its rather difficult to meter the power progressively, especially when overtaking. Nearly gave me a scare when I switched lanes with an idiotic van driver who continued to accelerate despite (a) early signaling and (b) ample distance between the two of us. I usually end up having use full throttle then quickly lift off once the power kicks in.

Interestingly, with the 2TB option, the Sport mode gives me the throttle response that I am used to. The only downside is (duh ) it holds on to the lower gear and changes up/down at a higher engine speed. Configuring Sport mode for chassis only (instead of chassis and transmission) appears to get rid of the throttle lag but the response is still not as snappy as full Sport mode. However, the pedal resistance is increased, and necessitates more pressure with my right foot, which can be quite tiring when one wishes for more relaxed drive but without the throttle lag.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:40 AM
Members

Hi all, this is a cross post but might help potential SG buyers thunking of adding the 2TB/255 options which, IMHO, is real value for money in our highly taxed market:

With the 2TB set to Normal mode, the steering weight and feel appears to be better than the standard steering as well, in that there is more "meat" to the steering, even if light by E60 standards, and it feels less overboosted and artificial.

Also, the D/S mode (moving the gearshift lever to left) in Normal mode is rather different from the Sport mode.

# 2TB in Sport mode

With the 2TB in Sport mode (a) the accelerator pedal is heavier, with more effort required to depress the pedal; (b) the accelerator is more sensitive, in that less pedal travel is required to achieve a certain engine speed; and (c) the throttle lag experienced in Normal mode is reduced and the engine speed climbs faster.

The steering also becomes heavier and more direct. Plus, the transmission shift speed and points are faster and higher, respectively. Whether both are the same with the standard transmission in D/S mode as well, I have no idea.

# Standard transmission in D/S mode (on the basis that this is the equivalent of the 2TB in Normal + D/S mode)

There is no change in the weight, feel or response of the steering and accelerator pedal, even if the car feels snappier due to transmission shift points being higher as the lower gears are held for a longer time before changing up. So, even if the transmission is more sporty, the steering and pedal feel is, for lack of a better description, normal with less of an "as one" feel with the 2TB in Sport mode.

# Steering paddles

I used to take the view that the steering paddles, while nice to have and aesthetically pleasing, would be somewhat redundant.

However, I have had the occasion to use them for overtaking manoeuvres recently and now appreciate them more. Since the transmission tends to change up to, and maintain, the higher gears to reduce the engine speed for better fuel economy, a click or two on the left/(-) paddle helps to get the engine into the power band faster than to floor the accelerator to trigger the kick down response. While it is possible to achieve manual override by moving the gearshift lever to the left, (a) the paddles are at your finger tips, allowing both hands to be kept on the steering wheel instead of taking one hand off the steering wheel to move the gearshift lever; and (b) there are less steps involved with the paddles; with one step/click for a shift instead of two when moving (i) the gearshift to the left; and (ii) then up/down for a shift.

Quick Reply: F10 for Singaporeans