F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F10 reliability -- better info ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an updated reliability stat for the 2011 BMW 5-Series based on owner responses through March 31, 2011.

With a reported repair rate of 62 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the F10 5-Series remains about average so far. Which isn't bad for a complex all-new luxury sedan.

We'll have further updates in August and November. The more owners participate, the better then information we can provide.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

BMW 5-Series reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

According to German ADAC BMW 5-series is about the most reliable cars out there on the German roads.

See http://www.adac.de/ and hope you have some knowledge of other languages than American...
Old 07-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Members

If memory serves, the ADAC is like AAA and CAA in North America and their stats are based on the number of cars they have to tow. Newer cars hardly ever require a tow, and if they're under warranty the manufacturer often provides the service for free, so these stats are most relevant for older cars.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Members

We have updated our car reliability stat for the 2011 BMW 5-Series based on owner responses through June 30, 2011.

With a reported repair rate of 41 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the F10 has improved in the last few months, and is still "about average" but now not far from "better than average."

We'll have further updates in November and February. The more owners participate, the better then information we can provide.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 09-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Banned

It 'really possible to measure the reliability of a car that is sold maybe 6 months? I think you're too much to expect, none of the reliability of the figures were distorted historical data, which in reality does not apply to all new model with all the new line of engines. Wold for real data, you must give a couple of years.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by neoe60
Cool concept but would be cooler if you could make an Android app that we can just scan all the data into.
For some reason my previous response to this post seems to be a response to a different post.

Anyway, I'd very much like to have an app developed. Haven't found the right person to help me with this yet, but hopefully soon.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

"When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year..."

No problems at 15 months (after the 2,000 km) breake in period. Sorry
Old 10-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Members

We have an updated reliability stat for the 2011 BMW 5-Series based on owner responses through June 30, 2011.

With a reported repair rate of 41 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the F10 has improved in the last few months, and is still "about average" but now not far from "better than average."

We'll have further updates in November and February. The more owners participate, the better then information we can provide.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 10-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

This has to be one of the dumbest threads ever. The F10 is new, how accurate is reliability data? There's a reason why legitimate new car quality raters (like JD Powers) use the "Initial Quality" rating to quantify buyer satisfaction and reliability with a BIG asterisk noting that reliability data on an entirely new model is subjective at best. It will take a few years to start getting hard numbers, this isn't the kind of thing you can get "the scoop" on. All numbers at this point are bullshit numbers.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
This has to be one of the dumbest threads ever. The F10 is new, how accurate is reliability data? There's a reason why legitimate new car quality raters (like JD Powers) use the "Initial Quality" rating to quantify buyer satisfaction and reliability with a BIG asterisk noting that reliability data on an entirely new model is subjective at best. It will take a few years to start getting hard numbers, this isn't the kind of thing you can get "the scoop" on. All numbers at this point are bullshit numbers.
You couldn't be much farther from the truth, actually.

J.D. Power most emphasizes the first 90 days of ownership, claiming that this predicts long-term reliability. They collect data at only one other point, the third year of ownership. Nothing at all on months 4-24 or 37+.

Consumer Reports routinely posts results based on just a few months or even a few weeks of ownership, but never explicitly states this, much less post a asterisk and/or warning about the limitations of their results.

Only TrueDelta explicitly posts sample sizes, the average odometer reading, the average number of months of data per car, and all reported repair descriptions, so you can tell what the reliability stats mean.

Quick Reply: F10 reliability -- better info ASAP