F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

The F10 has a problem with the windscreen wipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Rudy
I think that was his intent but I don't think English is his native language. Besides, Henry Ford would have spelled color without the "u"...
The pic is simply lousy, but it tells the story.

This will be a problem at least for us living it
in a city and in a country with salty, shitty winter roads.

No cobradav. It's just a cheaper construction.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

So can we get someone with a US-spec F10 to take a pic of the wiper streak to see if its the same? Maybe all Ric needs is to retrofit the US part and all will be
Old 07-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by v_therussian
So can we get someone with a US-spec F10 to take a pic of the wiper streak to see if its the same? Maybe all Ric needs is to retrofit the US part and all will be
The car is exactly the same in EU (except UK, right hand steering) and US.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520 iA E60 -04

Originally Posted by Ricracing
The car is exactly the same in EU (except UK, right hand steering) and US.
Ric has mental problems, not real problems exists with the vipers. Talking in a childish.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

The E39's and E60's had the notch to get the corner of the window but I recall that they didn't reverse the wipers for RHD cars. Perhaps the RHD cars now have the wipers on the 'correct' side?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

I was driving on the freeway today, rainy weather and all, and kept thinking of this thread. There's no way I could just let a problem like this go. Ric, have you taken it to BMW and see what they say? BMW needs to address this.

BMW really needs to fix this problem -- that is a very big gap and I would be concerned for safety driving in wet/dirty conditions....

Keep safe, Ric!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by Ricracing
The E60 had an joint for the right hand side windscreen viper, so that the upper right corner got cleaned properly.

The F10 don?t have this node and it leaves a massive part of the window uncleaned. :thumbsdown:

I would even say it will be a big problem in city traffic.
One may miss a car or even worse a pedestrian coming from the right.

Wrong way to save money, BMW
Hi,

Ric,

Your picture is quite a strong exaggeration. I have been driving F10 since early April and I can say that there is no issue with the wipers. They sweep more than enough and when the car is RHD, the wipers are placed accordingly.

BR

TGII
Old 08-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by TitangrauII530iA
Hi,

Ric,

Your picture is quite a strong exaggeration. I have been driving F10 since early April and I can say that there is no issue with the wipers. They sweep more than enough and when the car is RHD, the wipers are placed accordingly.

BR

TGII
Let's be honest about it. The F10 wipers are just like the wipers on most other cars. They satisfy EU Law saying X percent of the whole screen must be cleared, Y percent of the drivers side must be cleared. ( Sorry I don't know the values for X & Y. )

The E39 and E60 did do one better, the eccentric on the passenger side arm on LHD cars kicking the arm up did indeed do better in that top corner. The downside was the fact that they realised that on RHD cars, this kick of what was the passenger side arm on LHD cars actually allowed them to meet the X & Y rules without changing the design for our side of the road. It worked OK for smaller people, but taller ones did not like the little bit that was missed. Needless to say, RHD F10s have the wipers correctly changed for us. In an ideal world, the E60 design would be great, provided it was swapped over for RHD Markets.

In summary of the F10 setup, Cost Cutting - Yes, Dangerous - No.

Stewart.