F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.
View Poll Results: Do you prefer the F10 Weight and Size Gain?
Yes
25.45%
No
60.91%
Does not matter
13.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

F10 compared to its Predecessor

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Please take a poll. Let's see if we can make something objective out of it. Remember, keep the "styling and look" out of this thread; though, styling and look is a large determing factor in car purchase.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
Please take a poll. Let's see if we can make something objective out of it. Remember, keep the "styling and look" out of this thread; though, styling and look is a large determing factor in car purchase.

What's your real agenda in conducting this poll?

I get a sense of you disliking the F10 from reading your previous posts, so I assume you're trying to gather enough negative votes here to make the case that the F10 has failed. The choices you listed almost makes that a certainty.

There is nothing "objective" about someone prefering one car over another. Buying a car is a very personal decision. There are a myriad of factors that are involved in that choice.

All that being said, the F10 has shown that it is as every bit as good in its performance as its predecessor.....despite being a bigger car (even more so with regards to the 550i), while at the same time, offering better comfort levels, features and amenities than ever before.

However, as I've said time and time again, if people want to know how the F10 really compares to the E60, go take a test-drive. It's really that simple.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Petes550i

I get a sense of you disliking the F10 from reading your previous posts, so I assume you're trying to gather enough negative votes here to make the case that the F10 has failed. The choices you listed almost makes that a certainty.

There is nothing "objective" about someone prefering one car over another. Buying a car is a very personal decision. There are a myriad of factors that are involved in that choice.

All that being said, the F10 has shown that it is as every bit as good in its performance as its predecessor.....despite being a bigger car (even more so with regards to the 550i), while at the same time, offering better comfort levels, features and amenities than ever before.

However, as I've said time and time again, if people want to know how the F10 really compares to the E60, go take a test-drive. It's really that simple.
There's really no agenda. I want to isolate, or rather focus on what people really want from a BMW and filter out subjective wants such as styling, color, and bells and whistle (luxury) features. One asumption that I am making is that the people voting have a certain perception or expectation from BMW. They may not be the majority, but we could statistically show that 5 series owner have a certain perception/expectation from BMW. The questions are made so that there is minimal variations of interpretation.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Contributors

Vote,vote, vote. Please read the questions and answers carefully.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Im sorry, but who are you to question anyone on what they post on this site. Who are you to note that you have read some of the OPs other posts and get a feeling of his/her feelings and you dont feel they are objective or that you are in agreement with them.

Im sorry, I've had about enough of your blather on this site, you need to sit back and chill, and keep your directions to yourself and your opionions if they arent about the topics being discussed, you are no judge nor jury, get a grip.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

voted...
Old 09-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

I agree the poll questions were very skewed (although my answers were the most popular choices). I don't think a comparison of the F10 to the E60 is the core issue, its really what could have been the F10 compared to the E60... No doubt plenty of buyers will relish the added space and comfort of the new car [which weight as much as a 745Li] , but what of the buyers who want a more visceral sport oriented car? The E60 550i sport's suspension was a perfect blend of luxury and sports car feedback. There are some who'd like to see the 5 series go more in this direction: get smaller, lighter and less insulated from the road. Thing is, many of these people I'd presume are BMW base buyers who have been brand loyal for decades. If they're not careful, BMW may end up trying to be all things to all people, and in the process loose its edge in this segment as the ultimate driving machine.

DRP
Old 09-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 550isport
I agree the poll questions were very skewed (although my answers were the most popular choices). I don't think a comparison of the F10 to the E60 is the core issue, its really what could have been the F10 compared to the E60... No doubt plenty of buyers will relish the added space and comfort of the new car [which weight as much as a 745Li] , but what of the buyers who want a more visceral sport oriented car? The E60 550i sport's suspension was a perfect blend of luxury and sports car feedback. There are some who'd like to see the 5 series go more in this direction: get smaller, lighter and less insulated from the road. Thing is, many of these people I'd presume are BMW base buyers who have been brand loyal for decades. If they're not careful, BMW may end up trying to be all things to all people, and in the process loose its edge in this segment as the ultimate driving machine.

DRP
Well, it aims at the core of what previous, current, and prospectus 5 series buyers might be looking for in a 5 series aside from "styling." For that matter, these questions could have been for a Lexus, Infiniti, Audio, or MB. It is revealing that people who joined and voted are speaking of their desire/preceptions about a BMW 5 series . . . assuming they joined the forum with an interest in the BMW 5 series.

The 5 series, from what I know (someone correct me if I'm off), strikes the balance between the 3 and 7 series per BMW strategies. It appears now that the balance has been tipped toward the 7 series side. Perhaps BMW is saying that they will be using higher tech. to compensate for gained weight, and electronic steering for greater efficiencies. Perhaps it is like the SMG vs. manual tranny argument. I, for one, was an old fart for manual for many years until I droved a later edition of what we now call the DSG,PDK, and similar technology. I have no doubt the later technologies will improve the "feel" of electronic steering.

If technology can manipulate a greater weight to handle better, I'm all for it. The jury is still out on this, right?

Engine improvement: Is going direct injection, turbocharged, decrease .4 liter, to gain 50 HP and have relatively the same gas mileage considered a significant performance gain? I hardly think so. Heck, I was hoping for a 100 HP difference without the M label. Perhaps I am asking too much? Tranny improvement is a given.

In the end, it could be that BMW is strategically parading it's best selling 5 series (e60)customers in a transitional ship (F10) to the 7 series as 550isport said. For me, if the final performance numbers do not show a significant improvement over its precedessors as it has done in the pass, I'm going somewhere else and may or may not come back depending on my own health conditions and/or BMW restrategizing back to what the original intent of a 5 series, perticularly its V8 version.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by m630
Im sorry, but who are you to question anyone on what they post on this site. Who are you to note that you have read some of the OPs other posts and get a feeling of his/her feelings and you dont feel they are objective or that you are in agreement with them.

Im sorry, I've had about enough of your blather on this site, you need to sit back and chill, and keep your directions to yourself and your opionions if they arent about the topics being discussed, you are no judge nor jury, get a grip.

...so what are you going to do about it "tough guy?" ...arrest me?

(your turn...now say something bad about the F10 again)
Old 09-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Contributors

ATTENTION: DON'T READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT VOTED!

Here' my analysis so far:

Question 1 seek to find out the voters' opinion/experience about performance based on technology vs. physics. We know that technology could help offset greater weight/size, but it takes a lot of tech. to achieve similar or slightly better performance of lesser weight/size object. In any case, the voter is thinking, "performance." Overwhelmingly, 72% do not prefer added weight/size.

Question 2 seeks to confirm that voters are seeking for a performance. 49% appears to be satisfied with the current performance levels while 32% prefers improvement.Only 19% will take nothing less.

Question 3 seeks to find out the voters driving preference. Who in their right mind, would not want a higher performance than what their butt dyno can tell them. Yet, overwhelmingly, 84% would rather have the "driving experience." I don't know how much of this is chalked up by BMW's propaganda of the "Ultimate Driving Machine," but it is clear that while voters of the 5 series are performance oriented, most are happy with the current performance, and most importantly, the way the car drives and feedback that puts a grin on their faces is what they are looking for in an F10.

Hence, test drive an F10 similar to how you would drive your e60. If you like it, you have already been sold on the F10 by 50%. Of course, the other 50% is the subjective styling. Sorry, I can't help you on that.

So Peter550i, I believe you have made several wrong assumptions about me. Just about 90% of what you say are noises except for the advice to "go test drive one." While I'm not a real big fan of car mag. reviews, the F10 hasn't gotten favorable reviews in the "driving experience" or performance arena. In any case, the tests they do are way more than I could imagine myself.

Thanks for the good advice, but I'll wait for the other 50% to come around first, or maybe on a rainy day, go down to the stealer for a test drive.

Quick Reply: F10 compared to its Predecessor