F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Dinan has TT V8 software for street testing!!!!!&#

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 03:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

M630,

Also you don't use the full power as much as you would think. As a percentage of driving time, I use the full power of the car only less than 1% of the time. For every hour and a half to two hours of driving (let's say 100 minutes), I probably floor it once. Maybe even less than that because the cars are so fast now; you can't floor it for a minutes straight (a quarter mile go by in 13 secs).
Old 03-06-2010, 03:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by m630
the issue we have to keep in mind with these TT tunes is that tuners, whether Dinan or anyone else, cannot just add the hp and ft/lbs without considering the effects of the turbos. I dont think they can offer any more that these types of figures without requiring additional harware for cooling. So, these may not be offered as just remaps in thiss case, they may also require a new radiator and so on....when we look at what Alpina did, they added significant cooling to be able to ensure proper running temps and reliability. This is a new world that BMW has opened, and we dont know what the effects will be...i would not want to be one of the early adopters of any tune that did not have the additional cooling equiptment, just look what M added to the trucks to get them to be within tolerance levels for reliability.

If Dinan offers a stage II, im sure it will have to have a radiator kit as part of it....time will tell
Whatever Dinan and other tuners end up doing, I am thinking that some of the tunes will really turn the F10 550 into a rocket with well over 500 bhp. I agree that being one of the early adapters of the tunes could be a little risky.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta
M630,

Also you don't use the full power as much as you would think. As a percentage of driving time, I use the full power of the car only less than 1% of the time. For every hour and a half to two hours of driving (let's say 100 minutes), I probably floor it once. Maybe even less than that because the cars are so fast now; you can't floor it for a minutes straight (a quarter mile go by in 13 secs).

thanks for all the useful info guys, I know Dinan does their homework, I just think in this case with all the other issues we've seen with the turbo engines, ie the HPFP, there is some cause for concern that problems may occur later rather than sooner...as with the HPFP, im sure the long term testing did not uncover this issue, but we can unfortunately see the results all over the place...the one thing that BMW along with M, and other tuners such as Alpina are doing whenever they increase the turbo power towards the 500hp range is increasing the cooling both via radiators and oil coolers, i just dont trust the water pump to make up for the increased boost.

id probably agree we would not have a problem for the daily grind (at least in NY where it dont get too hot in the summer!), but its on those occasions when we really get on them for more than an hour that Id be concerned, ie our runs to Bear Mtn (oh Scott get ready!) where id spend hours in low gears revving up and down in my M...if this upgrade cannot handle that abuse the way that a factory upgrade can, well then its not worth the risk, as this would be the only time you'd exploit the additionaly power in any case...i dont know what i'll do, i dont like turbo at all, and im not sure how safe it will be to upgrade the turbo engines without specifically addressing the cooling issues...it may just make more sense to again go for the M and be done with it, though id hate to pay for the trunk emblem when the engine is based on the same block as the non-Ms

im lucky i guess in that I have atleast 2 years to watch how this all works out, and see where the M comes out as compared to the non-M TT V8 in the 550 or 650...i know i dont need 600 hp, so the 550/650 would be perfect if i can get them to output around 500hp with a tune, as long as they're reliable...otherwise, i just may hold on the to almighty S85 for the lenght of the extended warranty ...
Old 03-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

thanks for all the useful info guys, I know Dinan does their homework, I just think in this case with all the other issues we've seen with the turbo engines, ie the HPFP, there is some cause for concern that problems may occur later rather than sooner...as with the HPFP, im sure the long term testing did not uncover this issue, but we can unfortunately see the results all over the place...the one thing that BMW along with M, and other tuners such as Alpina are doing whenever they increase the turbo power towards the 500hp range is increasing the cooling both via radiators and oil coolers, i just dont trust the water pump to make up for the increased boost.

id probably agree we would not have a problem for the daily grind (at least in NY where it dont get too hot in the summer!), but its on those occasions when we really get on them for more than an hour that Id be concerned, ie our runs to Bear Mtn (oh Scott get ready!) where id spend hours in low gears revving up and down in my M...if this upgrade cannot handle that abuse the way that a factory upgrade can, well then its not worth the risk, as this would be the only time you'd exploit the additionaly power in any case...i dont know what i'll do, i dont like turbo at all, and im not sure how safe it will be to upgrade the turbo engines without specifically addressing the cooling issues...it may just make more sense to again go for the M and be done with it, though id hate to pay for the trunk emblem when the engine is based on the same block as the non-Ms

im lucky i guess in that I have atleast 2 years to watch how this all works out, and see where the M comes out as compared to the non-M TT V8 in the 550 or 650...i know i dont need 600 hp, so the 550/650 would be perfect if i can get them to output around 500hp with a tune, as long as they're reliable...otherwise, i just may hold on the to almighty S85 for the lenght of the extended warranty ...
M630,

I appreciate your concerns about heat, but I think the guys at Dinan are more qualified than either you or I about passing judgement that there may be too much heat. Also the HPFP issues are on certain stock cars and has nothing to do with Dinan upgrades.
The reason to go to Dinan is because of the research and the only warranty in the business, including consequential damages.
BMW had a created a tough time for the 550 purchasers even when the 535 was rated at 300 hp. BMW could have gotten more out of the engine but already people (myself included) were questioning why get the 550?
There are a lot of things that are done to keep the engine running at the correct temperature range. Turbo are very simple in their design.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Contributors

Yes I sure am looking forward to the next Bear Mountain meet. I know I have a good time when my 550 gets 11 mpg for the day. Frankly, an even tougher day for the car is doing the Pa State Route 125 run with its wild mountain hairpins and roller coaster-like stretches. The stress on the car on that road is extreme. Yes due to my love of the meets, I too need a car that can handle getting the crap beat out of it for hours. The 550 can -- so long as you watch the oil level guage because flogging it does burn oil.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by pennetta
From DINAN USA Website:

We need to test our turbo software on the following cars and will offer the software download for FREE. We are seeking the following 4 vehicles:

?2010 Z4 sDrive 35i
?X6 xDrive 35i
?X6 xDrive 50i
?535i (6-speed manual only). We need 1 car of a production build prior to 3/08 (MSD 80) and another one after 3/08 (MSD 81) DME. Please call for further details.
What I want to know is what the numbers will be on the TT V8 in the X5M. Stock HP is 555HP. Are we talking at least 650 HP with a Dinan Tune? If so, the new M5 is going to be insane!!! I can't wait!

God, my car is so slow now. What a piece of crap.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:36 AM
Senior Members

Tuning the 550 i will be insane. Plus, I am guessing that the new M5 will have a larger intercooler etc. So people should be able to put the M5 cooling system and intercooler on the car for an increased safety margin.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
What I want to know is what the numbers will be on the TT V8 in the X5M. Stock HP is 555HP. Are we talking at least 650 HP with a Dinan Tune? If so, the new M5 is going to be insane!!! I can't wait!

God, my car is so slow now. What a piece of crap.
My sense from the car mags is that the F10 M5 is likely to offer a tweaked version of the TT V8 currently found in the X5M and X6M. I would expect it to produce somewhere between 570-600 bhp. I think that 650 bhp will be easily achievable with even a mild tune. I bet a more wild tune will produce 700 bhp. No question that the F10 M5 will make the E60 M5 look slow by comparison (especially from off the line as the TT V8 is a torque monster), albeit without the amazing engine sounds of the NA V10. Of course, regardless of the power bump, the E60 M5 will always be faster than most cars on the road, especially sedans.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 AM
Senior Members

For those of you interested, the attached link includes an interview with someone by Hamann on tuning the TT V8. It looks like that engine will be a tuner darling - Hamann already has a 670 HP package for the X6 M.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/f10...win-turbo.html
Old 03-10-2010, 03:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Munich77
For those of you interested, the attached link includes an interview with someone by Hamann on tuning the TT V8. It looks like that engine will be a tuner darling - Hamann already has a 670 HP package for the X6 M.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/f10...win-turbo.html
Wow.