F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Of Course We All Hate The F10......

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Styling is always subjective but I don't understand what you mean by a "poor product."
Have you even driven a F10? Say what you will about the design, but the F10 is not a poor product by ANY stretch of the imagination.
I also don't understand whay you mean by BMW not offering cars that people want to buy. That's BS! BMW's models consistently rank at the top or near the top in luxury car sales every month....even during this recession! This forum represents just a tiny, tiny fraction of all BMW drivers out there. The vast majority of the public interested in BMW's don't care about the stuff people nitpick around here and they are the ones that keep BMW where they are (and the ones BMW listens to).
That's the kind of thinking that got GM into a pickle. It's also why some here are asking the questions they are asking. While your underlying point is right, I strongly suspect more BMW customers care about the the traditional core values of the brand than you suggest. Every upscale brand has its share of badge buyers but I strongly suspect that the enthusiast core of buyers that care about more about the car than the badge is significantly higher for BMW than it is for its key competitors in Mercedes, Lexus and Audi.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I have always loved new BMW models, always.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Contributors

Styling is always subjective but I don't understand what you mean by a "poor product."
Have you even driven a F10? Say what you will about the design, but the F10 is not a poor product by ANY stretch of the imagination.
I also don't understand whay you mean by BMW not offering cars that people want to buy. That's BS! BMW's models consistently rank at the top or near the top in luxury car sales every month....even during this recession! This forum represents just a tiny, tiny fraction of all BMW drivers out there. The vast majority of the public interested in BMW's don't care about the stuff people nitpick around here and they are the ones that keep BMW where they are (and the ones BMW listens to).
what i mean is simple, the package did not fit the market it is serving, therefore it is a poor product period(i did not say low quality product, but a poor product, which it certainly is)

The 5er is not meant to be a full sized luxury boat, which it has become, it was supposed to be a sport saloon dripping in luxury, very different concept and this F10 does not fit that description as most every objective poster has noted. Thats a poor product offering.

I have not driven it as I dont want a car that large, I dont need a 7er with a few less inches and a few less pounds, so I dont need to drive it to know what it is or is not.

As for what people want to buy, well just read all the comments here from current owners, not many are rushing to buy it to replace their e60s, now are they, and many seem to now be looking elsewhere...that tells me that BMW has begun to alienate its current customer base which again is a poor product offering. And we wont even start to discuss the rest of the line up, like the GT, did anyone need this? did bmw need to waste untold R&D on that vehicle? same with the 1series, it was a great idea if they had actually made a smaller car,but to make a 1er that is based on the 3 series platform and just weighs a bit less and cost almost the same, well that is a car that people dont want to buy, they did want a small, agile, LIGHTweight bmw, but they got a bloated 1er and on and on and on.

BMW even proves this point themselves with their "green movement"..they believe people want more ecologically sound vehicles(which I may very well disagree with mind you) so they hype up the efficient dynamics marketing slogans, and yet they build larger, bloated cars that numb the driver involvement with each successive offering, is that a "good product offering" in your mind? Would it not have been more in line with a green movement to offer a slighly SMALLER and significantly LIGHTER f10 than the e60 if you really believed that efficiency is what your customers wanted? I dont think you offer a car that weighs 300-400lbs more, with more power (simply to offset the added weight) and then claim a few extra mpgs and call it green??? Is that a good product offering?

I love bmw and have been on the bandwagon for as long as I knew what cars were, and have owned them for 20 years now including my current bmw, the ultimate bmw if you will, but Im not foolish enough to just follow them when they have abandoned what made me love them for my lifetime. :thumbsdown:
Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

I could accept the looks if it lost weight and handled like the "ultimate driving machine".
Old 07-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by m630
what i mean is simple, the package did not fit the market it is serving, therefore it is a poor product period(i did not say low quality product, but a poor product, which it certainly is)

The 5er is not meant to be a full sized luxury boat, which it has become, it was supposed to be a sport saloon dripping in luxury, very different concept and this F10 does not fit that description as most every objective poster has noted. Thats a poor product offering.

I have not driven it as I dont want a car that large, I dont need a 7er with a few less inches and a few less pounds, so I dont need to drive it to know what it is or is not.

As for what people want to buy, well just read all the comments here from current owners, not many are rushing to buy it to replace their e60s, now are they, and many seem to now be looking elsewhere...that tells me that BMW has begun to alienate its current customer base which again is a poor product offering. And we wont even start to discuss the rest of the line up, like the GT, did anyone need this? did bmw need to waste untold R&D on that vehicle? same with the 1series, it was a great idea if they had actually made a smaller car,but to make a 1er that is based on the 3 series platform and just weighs a bit less and cost almost the same, well that is a car that people dont want to buy, they did want a small, agile, LIGHTweight bmw, but they got a bloated 1er and on and on and on.

BMW even proves this point themselves with their "green movement"..they believe people want more ecologically sound vehicles(which I may very well disagree with mind you) so they hype up the efficient dynamics marketing slogans, and yet they build larger, bloated cars that numb the driver involvement with each successive offering, is that a "good product offering" in your mind? Would it not have been more in line with a green movement to offer a slighly SMALLER and significantly LIGHTER f10 than the e60 if you really believed that efficiency is what your customers wanted? I dont think you offer a car that weighs 300-400lbs more, with more power (simply to offset the added weight) and then claim a few extra mpgs and call it green??? Is that a good product offering?

I love bmw and have been on the bandwagon for as long as I knew what cars were, and have owned them for 20 years now including my current bmw, the ultimate bmw if you will, but Im not foolish enough to just follow them when they have abandoned what made me love them for my lifetime. :thumbsdown:

Guys have said the same things about the E60 when it first came out....."too big, too heavy, too complicated, too polarizing, BMW will go bankrupt....the E60's will never sell.....Chris Bangle will ruin BMW....blah, blah, blah." I find it funny that some of the most vocal haters of the E60 are now some of its biggest fans. If you don't care about the F10 that's fine, there are plenty more people who are willing to own it. Like I mentioned before, this forum represents a tiny, TINY fraction of BMW enthusiasts out there. Just because guys here say they won't get the F10 now doesn't mean the car has failed or BMW has failed or that the F10 is a "poor" product as you say. That's ludicrous! Back in 2003-2004, forum members have said things 10X worse about E60 when it first came out....so did the E60 fail? No, it went on to become the best selling 5 series of all time. Now, I won't say the same thing will happen to the F10...it may or may not....who knows?.....but knowing BMW's history of creating fabulous cars, esp. the 5 series line, I wouldn't bet against the F10.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

I initially hated the look of the E60....and now drive...and love...my '06 E60!!
I actually didn't like the F10 upon first glance, but then saw one with some decent wheels on it and it looked clean and elegant.
I'll give it a while to resinate....
Old 07-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Time wounds all heels!....I suspect EVERYONE will grow to love the F10!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
Time wounds all heels!....I suspect EVERYONE will grow to love the F10!
Well, the reality is that not everyone will love it and some never will (and leave BMW because of it). But that's fine.....you can't be all things to all people. Some people will be repelled by the F10 because it's not sporty enough but at the same time, others wil be drawn to it because of its added luxury and comfort. Change is never easy.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Well, the reality is that not everyone will love it and some never will (and leave BMW because of it). But that's fine.....you can't be all things to all people. Some people will be repelled by the F10 because it's not sporty enough but at the same time, others wil be drawn to it because of its added luxury and comfort. Change is never easy.
very true, just like how the e60 probably lost BMW a few e39 owners...but I'm sure are back for the f10

and perhaps the upcoming 6 series sedan will give something the e60 owners to praise...but I have a felling the suspension and handling will be similar technology to current models
Old 09-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Now that the M-Sport model has launched I hear "you people" coming out of the woodwork to praise it. I WAS RIGHT! Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Quick Reply: Of Course We All Hate The F10......