F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Clever new toys coming to F10 next year...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530D Touring M Sport F11 Sport Auto Carbon Black Black Dakota Leather Fineline Anthracite Sun Protection Glass Vis Pack Media Pack Pro

I came across this page on the BMW site. Looks like there are some clever new toys coming early next year (presumably needs combox fitted...).
BMW link here
  • BMW Car Hotspot - The wireless hotspot for your BMW brings front and rear passengers onto the Internet even on the move. All you need is a WLAN-enabled mobile phone, laptop or Apple iPad?. Available for many BMW models as from January 2011.
  • BMW holder for Apple iPad? - Simply fasten the BMW holder to the headrest of the front seat and click the Apple iPad? into place in the frame. Now you can relax and use the device from the back seat. The BMW holder for Apple iPad? is part of the ?Travel & Comfort System? accessory range and will be available for many BMW models as from March 2011.

Hopefully BMW have more tricks up their sleeves! BMW (and most car manufacturers, to be fair) always seem to be a few years behind on what is happening in the audio/networking world...It can't be that hard?

J
Old 12-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Members

I wonder if I can install the hotspot device in my 2007 550i.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Correct link:
Original BMW Accessories
Old 12-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Contributors

Sweet......appears will be a plug and play adapator which will fit in our new F10

Clever new toys coming to F10 next year...-bmw-hotspot.jpg
Old 12-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 530D Touring M Sport F11 Sport Auto Carbon Black Black Dakota Leather Fineline Anthracite Sun Protection Glass Vis Pack Media Pack Pro

Originally Posted by vkhong
Thanks, not sure what happened there...
J
Old 12-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mustafa550i
I wonder if I can install the hotspot device in my 2007 550i.
I suspect not - I imagine it requires combox (fitted as standard on F10/11 from September 2010 I think). I wouldn't be suprised if a similar device (not car-specific) already exists though - any techies out there who can help?!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by SFBimmer
Sweet......appears will be a plug and play adapator which will fit in our new F10

Attachment 115679
"Can only be used in combination with a data SIM card or a mobile telephone with SAP interface (SIM access profile)"

The problem is you either need to purchase an additional cellphone SIM or use a cellphone that allows tethering in order for this to work (many phones including the iPhone don't allow this). There are some HTC phones on the market that already let you configure them as mobile hotspots. So it would be cheaper and perhaps better to go that route.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
"Can only be used in combination with a data SIM card or a mobile telephone with SAP interface (SIM access profile)"

The problem is you either need to purchase an additional cellphone SIM or use a cellphone that allows tethering in order for this to work (many phones including the iPhone don't allow this). There are some HTC phones on the market that already let you configure them as mobile hotspots. So it would be cheaper and perhaps better to go that route.
i
The iPhone does indeed allow tethering. This became possible with iOS 3.0 which was released in June 2009. Some carriers (including AT&T, I believe), however, do not allow tethering.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka

Or jailbreak your iPhone and install PdaNet...Also works with Blackberry, Android etc...
PdaNet link
Old 12-29-2010, 04:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by shoeshine
i
The iPhone does indeed allow tethering. This became possible with iOS 3.0 which was released in June 2009. Some carriers (including AT&T, I believe), however, do not allow tethering.
My old 3G non-smartphone was on AT&T earlier this year and I was able to tether both my laptop and old PDA to it. So if what you say is true then this feature should work with the iPhone.

Quick Reply: Clever new toys coming to F10 next year...